Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Least favorite cost-saving measure in pinball”

• Fake knocker 72 votes
      23%
    • Virtual kickback 16 votes
      5%
    • Mono-targets 54 votes
      17%
    • Subway removal 84 votes
      27%
    • Other 18 votes
      6%
    • Snaps lockdown 9 votes
      3%
    • On/Off Switch in Head 56 votes
      18%

(309 votes)

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Seriously, Sterns new cabinets (I'm a Stern fanboy) scare the piss out of me when it comes to nudging and moving the pins around. Paranoid I'm going to see to a front corner split.

I think Stern are finally on top of this. Our Munsters has the larger corner brackets, a plywood bottom and a lockdown brace that is bolted in to the corners. Game is definitely heavier and feels much sturdier. Hopefully all the games will have this going forward.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Those partitioned DMDs in little 64 (?) square blocks instead of one smooth DMD. Yes, I can tell...

That was for european regulations. Plasma caused issues.

#53 5 years ago

Love all the criticism, and yet, we all know how many here are buying Black Knight 3/WONKA, or both.

You'll get less for your money and you'll like it. *said Humphrey Bogart-style in the Maltese Falcon*

#54 5 years ago

Definitely - of this list - mono-targets. I think the lack of a subway has limited things in a major way in Stern games, but you don’t really notice what’s not there as much - the mono targets are clearly wrong, even to a non-pinball person

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol, damn auto correct. Power coat! New marketing term.
    Yeah agree, that would be nice and should come standard.

Can lollipop rails be bought from jjp?

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Lockdown snaps are an improvement imo

As a new pin owner, I had no idea this "snaps" lockdown bar was done to save money. It seemed very innovative and easy to use. Seemed like it was done as an improvement, not a cost savings.

#57 5 years ago

Not paying the software guy to finish the code.

#58 5 years ago

How about the fact that more and more cost cutting is done with every new machine but the NIB price keeps going up?

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

How about the fact that more and more cost cutting is done with every new machine but the NIB price keeps going up?

It's almost as if the price of everything is going up.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I really don't understand why Stern does not use a better sound for the fake knocker. I mean you could produce a callout or play a recorded sound of a real knocker. You could even customize the sound depending on theme for each game. Instead you have a god awful screech sound that anyone that does not know what it is turns in horror wondering what just died.

My family and I cringe when that fake knocker screech sound goes off. Absolutely hate it. Is ther any way to turn it off??

#61 5 years ago

Pretty good list...Cabinetry and everything i can see and touch...

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

My family and I cringe when that fake knocker screech sound goes off. Absolutely hate it. Is ther any way to turn it off??

Like everything else on a pinball machine it is there to distract you and make you drain.

I'd say with the number of people complaining about it behind obnoxious it is doing it's job.

If you want it to be closer to off in home use, you can raise replays and turn off matching.

#63 5 years ago

Cheap Stern habitrails and ball guides.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Not paying the software guy to finish the code.

Not hiring enough software engineers to meet coding demands is more like it. If Lyman isn’t getting paid to finish code at home and he is doing it on his dime, my question would be what kind of work/life balance can he actually have? Or is that when you just take a machine home with you and sleep with it for 6 months like a sordid bad affair? Or is it more like Pygmalion or My Fair Lady where the pin starts out with a rough cockney accent and ends up a refined speaking lady of pinball?

Day 1
    Motty fawn day ta ya, guv’na, got a brawss fahthin for a gaim o’ pinball, eh guv’na? Givya two gaims fah ‘alf a crown I will... mott eevin let ya look et me bloooomers fo’ acupa a-shillins, I mott.

Day 182
    Good afternoooon, fine sir, How do you doooo? My name is Bride of Pinbot, would you care for a game of pinball to fill your idle time? I can give you one game for a quarter or three games for fifty cents. Would you care to play?

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

There’s a setting in adjustments to turn it off. I have mine off.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

There’s a setting in adjustments to turn it off. I have mine off.

I do the same on my games. Really not much of a point for replay when your games are on Freeplay.

#67 5 years ago

Forgot to add the removal of sleeves from shooter assemblies, but seems like it's too far in to update the poll choices.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Forgot to add the removal of sleeves from shooter assemblies, but seems like it's too far in to update the poll choices.

Knock them bronze bitches out and put in a nylon shooter sleeve. Working so far in my Deadpool on location.

#69 5 years ago

No one else HATES the on/off switch moved to the head?!

I like this change.

All the little kids who visit can no longer run down the line incessantly starting and stopping games after plunging one ball.

#70 5 years ago

Those f-ing pegs that replaced the playfield slide brackets are the WORST!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I like this change.
    All the little kids who visit can no longer run down the line incessantly starting and stopping games after plunging one ball.

I guess if your collection only consists of Stern SPIKE games, this would be a plus in terms of eliminating that nuisance.

As mine doesn't, I'd prefer to have all my games' on/off switches conveniently located and opt for a different means of dealing with PITA kids.

#72 5 years ago

I guess if your collection only consists of Stern SPIKE games, this would be a plus in terms of eliminating that nuisance.
    As mine doesn't, I'd prefer to have all my games' on/off switches conveniently located and opt for a different means of dealing with PITA kids.

I only have one Spike game but I honestly think the new location is an improvement once you get used to it. It's not really hard to reach.

I also think the lockdown bar with the two snaps is an improvement too. Much better at keeping it tight to the machine. The old lockdown mechanisms eventually loosen up and jiggle a bit.

#73 5 years ago

Switching form drop targets to stand up targets. Most designers will always go for drops in their early concepts. Drops are more satisfying to hit and they expose a rubber behind them for some much needed lateral movement in a pinball game. But they're nearly always the first casualty in the cost cutting stage of the development.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

It's almost as if the price of everything is going up.

Not 100% in 10 years. Sterns have gone up 100% in 10 years.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

No manual or schematics included...

Especially on Spooky machines.

#76 5 years ago

How about a lack of the playfield prop rod?

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Not 100% in 10 years. Sterns have gone up 100% in 10 years.

Adjusted for inflation, $4799 in 2009 is equal to $5686 in 2019.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

Adjusted for inflation, $4799 in 2009 is equal to $5686 in 2019.

Street prices, not retail. I was able to get Spidermans NIB for $3300 and that machine is roughly a Premium in Stern's new tiers. Premiums are more than 2x that now, street, with the best discount you can get. Stern has cut dealer margins AND raised prices over the last 10 years, causing the actual price increase to be more than just raising prices because the best deals are much smaller percentages off retail.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

More of a preference thing than a cost-saving trend (as both have existed for a long time, and both continue to exist), but non-physical ball-locks.

Bk and Wonka both did it in case ya missed.

#80 5 years ago

Without a doubt, for me it is the regular slot screws instead of the Philips Head screws used in the old Gottliebs. This had to have been done by an accountant who saved a fraction of a cent but made the maintenance much harder. I can hear him now. “But we use millions of them!” Penny wise and pound foolish!

#81 5 years ago

Sterns overuse of flat plastics on everything

Quoted from RTS:

I also think the lockdown bar with the two snaps is an improvement too. Much better at keeping it tight to the machine. The old lockdown mechanisms eventually loosen up and jiggle a bit.

I agree, the new lockdown bar is so much better! I never understood what complaints about it were.

#82 5 years ago

Ending direct to cabinet printing

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Street prices, not retail. I was able to get Spidermans NIB for $3300 and that machine is roughly a Premium in Stern's new tiers. Premiums are more than 2x that now, street, with the best discount you can get. Stern has cut dealer margins AND raised prices over the last 10 years, causing the actual price increase to be more than just raising prices because the best deals are much smaller percentages off retail.

Actually you have no idea if Sterns margins have been cut if the dealer margins have been cut or if dealer recommended price were just a joke and margins have gone up for both

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

I have to differ with you on this one. I actually like the snaps better than the Williams style lock bar with the lever - they can be a pita.

Lots of friends of mine disagree with me on that one as well they say it holds the bar tighter which i agree with my problem is that it's kind of a pain in the butt to take off. I always have trouble with the snaps and it takes longer if your in a tournament when your trying to take it off quick just a bit of a nitpick i have.

#85 5 years ago

I would say elimination of fuses on the spike system

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Sterns overuse of flat plastics on everything

I agree, the new lockdown bar is so much better! I never understood what complaints about it were.

The tension eventually pulls the screws and makes it loose and you can't fix it well without moving the holes. The receiver setup doesn't have that issue

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Actually you have no idea if Sterns margins have been cut if the dealer margins have been cut or if dealer recommended price were just a joke and margins have gone up for both

Oh, I have an idea. People talk. Dealers talk. It happened. Stern squeezed both ends over the last 10 years, and even if I was oblivious to that, there's still the issue that >100% increase in price from 2008 $3300 NIB Spidermans to 2018 $7200 Premiums now is factual.

#88 5 years ago

This one is leveled at spooky specifically, but DOUBLE SIDED TAPE.

Love spooky, but for the love of god, remove that from your factory. Double sided tape should not be used in lieu of screws to hold ball guides in place. It should not be used to hold side rails on (especially one one end is not bolted in and the le model has less area to tape down). It should not be used to hold 3d plastic wedges that act as ramps. It is a terrible way to put a game together so ffs use screws especially when you already have screw holes.

Also, taping a piece of paper to the back of a rail so that the Rob Zombie cutout has a gradient is a terrible way of doing things. If someone spills something that paper is going to be ruined.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

The tension eventually pulls the screws and makes it loose and you can't fix it well without moving the holes. The receiver setup doesn't have that issue

It's the exact same technology used by B/W on their games in the 90's to latch the backboxes.

So far no problems with tension pulling screws loose in more than 25 years.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

It's the exact same technology used by B/W on their games in the 90's to latch the backboxes.
    So far no problems with tension pulling screws loose in more than 25 years.

A> I lower the backbox head a LOT less than I take off the lockdown bar. Probably 100 to 1 if not more.
    B> Bally/Williams didn't cost-reduce the durability out of their cabinet wood.

So, yeah, no dice on that comparison. I'm telling you, multiple route machines have a loose latch bracket currently on the route I help with, and you can't tighten them where they will stay. They were awesomely tight from the factory. Not so much now.

#91 5 years ago

I hate fake knocker sounds... They sound unnatural and they also lack oomph. A good knocker should almost scare you when you get it. It should be sudden and violent and loud.

I actually like the snaps on the lockdown bar. I had a lot of trouble with my MonsterBash LE lockdown bar, and while I resolved the issue, I handled it way too much for my liking. Simple snap on and snap off is better. Don't overthink things. Sometimes simple is the right way to go.

I also hate when I can't add a real knocker cos the code cant support it.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Oh, I have an idea. People talk. Dealers talk. It happened. Stern squeezed both ends over the last 10 years, and even if I was oblivious to that, there's still the issue that >100% increase in price from 2008 $3300 NIB Spidermans to 2018 $7200 Premiums now is factual.

Dealers are making $1000 per pro that is solid margins WOZ has gone from $6500 to $11,500 in three fewer years seems JJP just as bad

1 week later
    #93 4 years ago

Still HATE the on/off switch moved to the backbox.

How much $ does this realistically save?! Perhaps there's another reason behind this that I'm not aware of?

#94 4 years ago

Perhaps there's another reason behind this that I'm not aware of?

See post #69 above.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

See post #69 above.

I already have and responded to it too. My HATE still remains.

#96 4 years ago

I like em cause my kids don’t just flip em on and off as they walk by anymore. My games are tight enough I don’t have to worry about their little arms reaching.

#97 4 years ago

No one else HATES the on/off switch moved to the head?!

I can’t stand it. Stretch to turn it off as you smear your hand across the glass. I need to clean my glass every other day. And invisible-glass just make the smears even worse! Ugh!!!! Please move the on off switch back!

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Snaps for lockdown bar

Some of the other things I can understand, but I like the snap lockbars. They are much more secure and the bar doesn't move around and chip the powdercoat as much.

#99 4 years ago

Closing Williams pinball division in 1999

#100 4 years ago

I hate that none of these cost saving measures have resulted in any savings for buyers

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-least-favorite-cost-saving-measure-in-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.