(Topic ID: 239546)

Poll: Is the WOZ monkey mech flawed or not?

By spinal

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“The Wizard of Oz flying monkey mech is:”

• A flawed mech that should be removed from WOZ from YBR and from now on 4 votes
    3%
  • Flawed for operation on route but fine for home use 9 votes
    8%
  • Not perfect but no worse than other pinball mech that need the occasional tuneup 45 votes
    39%
  • Works just fine 57 votes
    50%

(115 votes)

#1 5 years ago

This poll is for WOZ owners or operators or those who have extensive experience with WOZ.

Let’s define a pinball mech as being flawed if it places an unreasonable burden on an owner or operator to fix it. It also places an unreasonable burden on the distributer and ultimately the manufacturer to the point that the trouble it causes is just not worth it. Keep in mind that I would not consider Rudy in Funhouse to be flawed nor would I consider mist mech in BSD to be flawed. They need some maintenance over the years and this is acceptable to our pinball community.

Simple question. In your experience, is the monkey mech in WOZ a flawed mech that warrants it’s removal?

#2 5 years ago

I definitely think we need 5 or 10 more threads about this... in my years of experience dealing with WOZ games, the monkey can be a bit of a pain in that he can be hard to get dialed in just perfectly sometimes. The microswitches for the home and away can get out of adjustment and you must find the sweet spot for the lower position so that he lands just left of the center of the playfield top loop magnet so that he grabs the ball without plugging on top of it and going away without it. Overall, it's an okay mech for home use; can be troublesome a bit for operators but can also be disabled in the settings and is by default disabled by Pindemption settings. The monkey magnet sense switches were annoying in the beginning but are decent. Threaded rod must be lubricated every so often or he can get LOUD while running up and down.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for all your votes

#4 5 years ago

The monkey mech isn't the worst ever, but not the greatest design either.

Much better than the castle doors though, which should have been redesigned long ago.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#5 5 years ago

Never had an issue with mine...

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

In your experience, is the monkey mech in WOZ a flawed mech that warrants it’s removal?

Kudos for trying to gather the data needed to answer your question.
JJP already has the data and we know their decision.

#7 5 years ago

I've had more issues with the witch. Maybe JJP should have removed the witch. After all it's not "pc" and is cultural appropriation of witches everywhere.

#8 5 years ago

these are the types of issues I had with mine while it was on location

Castle doors, spinning house adjustment, light boards, light boards, castle doors, light boards, broken solder joint, light boards, messed up switch, light boards, light boards, light board cable, speakers, light boards, broken solder joint, speakers crackling and spontaneously getting loud, light board cable, game turning on without lights working, crystal ball falling off, blown fuses, light boards etc...oh yeah forgot about the witch, had some issues with her to.

Took it off location until they came out with the 2.0 kit, now I just need to install it. It's an awesome game, and it took me a while to appreciate it.

the monkey mech was never an issue for me, maybe I just got lucky?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

The microswitches for the home and away can get out of adjustment

And every time a person tried to adjust them, I usually get the call.

Maybe not on Pinside. But there are a lot of people who have trouble or can't adjust a micro mini switch. They usually bend at the wrong spot and screw up the flat part that depresses the tiny knob into the switch body.

People that adjust it 20 or 30 times, by that time there is no hope and you have to start over with a new switch. They don't think about what they actually want the switch to do.

LTG : )

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

The monkey mech isn't the worst ever, but not the greatest design either.
Much better than the castle doors though, which should have been redesigned long ago.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

My WOZ has been sitting for weeks because I'm sick of taking the upper playfield out, re-adjusting the door switches and springs and putting it back in. I might tackle it again today and do some meditation to not get too pissed off with it.

#11 5 years ago

Are the fixes or changes on the upper playfield that are in the YBR compatible with older WOZ versions? Like could you “upgrade” your castle PF with the new door setup and optos?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Are the fixes or changes on the upper playfield that are in the YBR compatible with older WOZ versions? Like could you “upgrade” your castle PF with the new door setup and optos?

In the Texas seminar that was asked and Eric and Butch looked at each other and kinda gave the impression that it might be possible, I am guessing that it wouldn't be easy. Probably need a software update for it.

#13 5 years ago

Original ECLE owner (late Sep 2013 build). Never had a problem with the monkey mech.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

My WOZ has been sitting for weeks because I'm sick of taking the upper playfield out, re-adjusting the door switches and springs and putting it back in. I might tackle it again today and do some meditation to not get too pissed off with it.

Truly one of the worst designed mechs in all of pinball history. I've got a solid redesign, just not enough time to finish it up and do proper testing.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#15 5 years ago

When this pin came out,Stern also came out with the new ST!! They had them both operating at PAGG! I played both but only had money for one pin! When I played the WOZ,the "Monkey "mech couldn't work right and they kept trying to fix it!! I bought a ST/PRe,by that time,the LEs were sold out!

3 weeks later
#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Truly one of the worst designed mechs in all of pinball history. I've got a solid redesign, just not enough time to finish it up and do proper testing.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

If there's anything I can do to help I'd be happy to. I'll have two WoZ here in a few weeks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 5.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-is-the-woz-monkey-mech-flawed-or-not?hl=pinballomatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.