Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy IM original or VE (please ignore the NIB thrill factor, just quality & gameplay experience only)”

• Iron Man original 41 votes
    33%
  • Iron Man NIB 85 votes
    67%

(126 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 6 years ago

Trying to work out whether I should buy one of these, original or VE NIB. There's one NIB left in Oz, is Stern still producing these? I gather there'll be more to come?

Thx for your time, onetaste

#2 6 years ago

Buy the cheapest one you can find. They ran Simpsons a dozen times I swear. Todd

#3 6 years ago

just get avengers. it has iron man and the rest of the gang

i prefer the VE, but certainly get the cheaper one as they're all cosmetic differences

#4 6 years ago

Spend a few minutes and read through the IM VE owners thread. Like they said, just get a good deal. It doesn't matter which one.

#5 6 years ago

It doesn't matter. Condition is king. Not much difference between the two except for some minor cosmetics and sling power.

#6 6 years ago

I got the VE, but I wish I had waited and picked up Grinder901's sweet IM classic that was recently sold.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I got the VE, but I wish I had waited and picked up Grinder901's sweet IM classic that was recently sold.

Just to clarify...that wasnt a classic, it was a pro. IM Classic blows as it has a number of gameplay and cosmetic differences.

#8 6 years ago

I rather have the original. The ve has hideously bright leds.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

The hideously bright leds is definitely a turn off for me. Is it possible to replace them with cheap less bright leds or would this cause ghosting. And can one put incandescents in new sterns or are they built only for leds these days?

#10 6 years ago

I believe all LEDs are socketed in the VE, so you could switch it back to incandescent. I have the 2010 versions, and I run LEDs in the lane guide GI, incandescent everywhere else (because there's so much red art). Definitely LED the drone inserts with blue LEDs.

There's absolutely no game play difference, but a dialed-in IM feels very different from a brand new IMVE. I wouldn't trade mine because I like the old cabinet head style, and I like having a row of matching games. The artwork around the DMD just feels busy to me, I like that area black.

#11 6 years ago

Yep, you can change the leds to your liking. Here is a short video Black Rose posted.

The only major reason for buy a VE is that it's NIB and perfect...hopefully.

#12 6 years ago

For Iron Man, I actually much prefer the original backbox. Actually, with both IM and Metallica, I'm really glad I have the original backboxes. I think it looks outstanding on ST, but the speaker panel in particular on IM to me makes the translite feel sort of out of place.

Having said that, the design of the new backboxes I do think is definitely superior, I just don't think it looks quite as nice.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Do I see this not staying in your collection long??? I have a HOU Avengers for trade

#14 6 years ago

Wow, I never realized so many did not like LEDs.
I did not think they were too bright in my VE, but then all my pins are LED so I am used to it. I know I cannot play them in the dark. I have to have some overhead lighting on or else the flashers have a strobe effect on my eyes.
The thing I like about LEDs in the inserts is that I never have to look twice to see if it is lit or not. I see this quite a bit on MET and SM.
As always, to each his own and it allll good cause its pinball.

#15 6 years ago

To quote Barney Stinson..... "Newer is always better."

#16 6 years ago

I tried to switch in an incandescent bulb in my TFLE and it didn't work. Not enough voltage. That was designed as an all LED game, so do we know for sure that incandescents will work in a new Stern designed to be all LED?

#17 6 years ago

The NIB smells better

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I tried to switch in an incandescent bulb in my TFLE and it didn't work. Not enough voltage. That was designed as an all LED game, so do we know for sure that incandescents will work in a new Stern designed to be all LED?

IM VE has a setting for Incandescent or LED…so, you could make the game all incandescent if you wanted.

#19 6 years ago

I'll be following this thread for sure. After playing IM, I'm hooked. Great game!

#20 6 years ago

Nib is only a pickup or delivery away to get, so real easy. Say you decide you want an original. What is your plan? Wait for one locally? Is this local one going to be overpriced, overplayed, or to over modded for you? The only reason to delay buying IM when you can just call and have one delivered is to delay the punishment that it will dish out on you when it arrives at your house. I can understand this, but is fun to press start again. So, what are you waiting for?

#21 6 years ago

Id assume a nice condition IM would be 4k and NIB IMv 4.8k. Is $800 dollars of saving really worth the time and effort and possible surprises. That was my reason to go NIB

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Id assume a nice condition IM would be 4k and NIB IMv 4.8k. Is $800 dollars of saving really worth the time and effort and possible surprises. That was my reason to go NIB

This is a great point. This and pinnyhead's notion that it can be a pain in the butt to try and source one locally, especially, in my case, Adelaide Australia. Given this and the feedback that the only real differences are cosmetic I am leaning towards VE NIB.

#23 6 years ago

Put a subwoofer on the game - it really brings out the bass.

#24 6 years ago

We need a poll where we debate the five different versions of Tron Pro. NOT!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Ha, NIB is no guarantee that you won't get a surprise. It took me 2 months to get my new MET working right. My used (non-HUO) IM just needed a new ramp, and then it was golden.

It is fun to open the box though. I can't wait until "IM2020" comes out, so we can stop having these debates. "Ooh look, IM2020 has more shiny than IMVE!"

#26 6 years ago

I like the old cabinet style on IM... and with an LED OCD the LED inserts will have better fading and ghosting elimination.

#27 6 years ago

sorry to bump into the thread but I have a line on an original that has been slightly routed for $4300 (LEDed) and a HUO almost brand new VE for $5K which one would you get?

#28 6 years ago

Original production Stern's aren't gonna have the allure of original production Bally Williams pins in the years to come unless they're LEs that play different. I would go for NIB. I'm sure it's a unique experience to pop the cherry of a new pin~

#29 6 years ago

No difference both lame games

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

sorry to bump into the thread but I have a line on an original that has been slightly routed for $4300 (LEDed) and a HUO almost brand new VE for $5K which one would you get?

VE nib 4700

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Majesticman:

No difference both lame games

You are a busy man tonight aren't you?

#32 6 years ago

I think the post you quoted from Flash was Canadian $ but I could be wrong.

#33 6 years ago

I'd go with the NIB. Condition will not be an issue then and price is about the same.

#34 6 years ago

Unless the original game is in poor condition or was heavily routed, buy the one that is less expensive.
It's a great game and made to be fast.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

I think the post you quoted from Flash was Canadian $ but I could be wrong.

Sorry yeah prices are canadian.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Ha, NIB is no guarantee that you won't get a surprise. It took me 2 months to get my new MET working right. My used (non-HUO) IM just needed a new ramp, and then it was golden.
It is fun to open the box though. I can't wait until "IM2020" comes out, so we can stop having these debates. "Ooh look, IM2020 has more shiny than IMVE!"

Your right, as sometimes NIB get damaged during shipping or something gets loose/disconnected/misaligned etc..

Regardless of the versions, I think its cool we can all agree IM is a kick ass game..

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

Yep, you can change the leds to your liking. Here is a short video Black Rose posted.
» YouTube video
The only major reason for buy a VE is that it's NIB and perfect...hopefully.

That was my Stock video ,, the video below is after i Removed Every Double Led and installed Cointaker Frosteds in the GI's ( Cool whites a few Blues & Reds & a Purple ) now in the insert's I have Premium Frosteds and Premium 2's ( color matched to the insert ) .. The p/f Isn't Blinding @ All and lOOks 100% Better .. I wish i had TWD here so i could do the Same thing ..
Turn yr volume down while watch-n ,,,

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside