(Topic ID: 297304)

Poll Included: Which Manufacturer Had the Best Score Reels?

By wolverinetuner

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which manufacturer has used the best score reels?”

• Gottlieb 14 votes
      35%
    • Williams 19 votes
      48%
    • Bally 6 votes
      15%
    • Chicago Coin 0 votes
    • Sonic 0 votes
    • Zaccaria 1 vote
      3%
    • Playmatic 0 votes
    • Interflip 0 votes

(40 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I’m disassembling and cleaning up all the score reels in a Williams Big Deal. This is the first time I’ve felt the need to do so on a Williams. I’ve done the same for many original and later Gottlieb Decagons and also late Chicago Coin. I’m impressed by these Williams score reels. I find them the easiest to work with so far. No spring pushing up at the main nylon gear during placement of the reel and tracer board, no difficult-to-adjust Y-shaped double switches (why oh why did Gottlieb use those?), just a straightforward design. The only tricky part has been working with the tiny e-clips, but I’ve gotten pretty decent with those (haven’t lost one yet!).

I haven’t really felt the need to disassemble a Bally score reel yet, and my first Sonic project is waiting in line right now, so I don’t have experience with those yet.

This has made me wonder, what manufacturer’s score reels do all the rest of you EM pinsiders prefer? I didn’t try to break down the manufacturers by era, so, e.g., in the poll “Gottlieb” covers any of it’s specific eras, Rat Trap, Decagon, and any others.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

You forgot the poll, but my vote would be Williams hands down.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

You forgot the poll

Thanks. I made the poll when I drafted this topic, but I must have lost it before finalizing it!

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

my first Sonic project is waiting in line right now, so I don’t have experience with those yet.

Sonic games are made with Williams parts so they are the same thing

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I figured that, but if I didn’t include it, I also figured someone would say I forgot it.

#6 2 years ago

I can completely clean, replace coil sleeves and reassemble a Williams 4-player head in about an hour. Awhile back, I started cleaning the score reels on one of the two Target Alpha’s heads I have. I finished only two reels in one hour. They have been sitting ever since. I have considered paying someone who knows them better to shop out both heads. It will be money well spent.

#7 2 years ago

Sonic has the added benefit of putting their score reel assemblies on a particle board insert! Segue to shameless plug:

I found help for crumbling particle board cabinets, and made a thread about it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-for-crumbling-particle-board-cabinets#post-6366854

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I can completely clean, replace coil sleeves and reassemble a Williams 4-player head in about an hour. Awhile back, I started cleaning the score reels on one of the two Target Alpha’s heads I have. I finished only two reels in one hour. They have been sitting ever since. I have considered paying someone who knows them better to shop out both heads. It will be money well spent.

I’m taking far more time than that on this Big Deal right now, but I’m still getting used to it, and I’m probably being way too picky about it too!

I can go through Gottlieb Decagons fairly quickly, but not four players in an hour. I’m impressed!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Darn! I was looking for a Target Alpha head and just bought one to be delivered to Pinfest! Surprised there’s so many floating around.

Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Sonic has the added benefit of putting their score reel assemblies on a particle board insert! Segue to shameless plug:
    I found help for crumbling particle board cabinets, and made a thread about it:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-for-crumbling-particle-board-cabinets#post-6366854

Thanks for that. My Mars Trek and Super Straight cabinets are in FAR WORSE shape than that! I figured I’d just nail angle iron over it to protect what’s left and sure-up the cabinet.

That is a much better option! Did you have the cabinet upside-down when you applied the epoxy?

#10 2 years ago

Did you have the cabinet upside-down when you applied the epoxy?

Yep. I removed the motor board and put it upside down. Gravity helped the liquid epoxy soak in.

#11 2 years ago

Williams by far is the easiest to service.

#12 2 years ago

Williams are great but I've got to say, I can't remember the last time I ever had to mess with a 70s bally score reel. The williams will occasionally have issues and need (easy) servicing but the ballys are always working perfectly no matter how long the game's been sitting. And it's amazing how fast they can spin

#13 2 years ago

Darn! I was looking for a Target Alpha head and just bought one to be delivered to Pinfest! Surprised there’s so many floating around.

Actually, I have two complete project Target Alphas. Both are somewhat playable, trashed backglasses. They sat somewhere on the East Coast for about 20+ years. A friend bought them about six years ago at Allentown to make a homepin. Homepin never happened, then they fell into my hands when he got tired of looking at them. Both backdoors were missing, probably forever. All of the score reels in both heads are gunked up and seized. Need an extensive cleaning. Pretty much the only thing keeping both machines from working. I’ll get to them one day.

#14 2 years ago

Chicago Coin reels are evil.

Bally doesn’t bother me too much probably because I was exposed to them the most when I was new to EMs.

I tend to agree on the WMS comments.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Chicago Coin reels are evil.
    Bally doesn’t bother me too much probably because I was exposed to them the most when I was new to EMs.
    I tend to agree on the WMS comments.

Oh boy... I have to work on my first one this week as a favor to a friend. Are you hinting that by the end of this favor I won’t consider them a friend any longer?

#16 2 years ago

I rather like United score reels but not included in poll.

#17 2 years ago

Oh boy... I have to work on my first one this week as a favor to a friend. Are you hinting that by the end of this favor I won’t consider them a friend any longer?

I went through all 16 reels on a Juke Box last year. There is a point in reassembly that was tricky, actually it could be infuriating, trying to hold components in the correct position. But I did eventually get through them. There is definitely a learning curve.

#18 2 years ago

I just voted on the ones I like the looks of best. Haha. Williams are too small of a font. Gottliebs for the win there.

Williams are super easy to work on.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I rather like United score reels but not included in poll.

Sorry. I don’t see a way to add to the poll.

#20 2 years ago

For that matter, has anyone had experience with Stern Electronics’ non-Chicago-Coin-designed EMs, Disco and Pinball EM? I had a chance awhile back to pick up a Disco but didn’t. I believe the Sterns had been with Williams, so I assume those score reels are Williams-like, but I don’t know.

#21 2 years ago

So far it’s Williams with a strong lead in the poll:

Williams 19 votes
    Gottlieb 5 votes
    Bally 2 votes
    Zaccaria 1 vote

#22 2 years ago

As far as servicing them, I don't have much experience with Chicago Coin, except a while back, I serviced the reels on a CC arcade machine I had, and found them to be similar to the old United reels, and the Gottlieb "rat trap" type.
    Had a crazy problem where there was a dead short in the reel. I discovered that the hub should have been a nylon one, but along the way, someone installed a metal one. I got a nylon hub from PBR, installed it, and problem solved!
    Earlier Gottlieb decagon reels can be a royal pain to get just right, but the last iteration of them were a big improvement. I did a four player '60s Bally once, and thought that the design was very simple, effective and very easy to service. Williams games have several different types of reels depending on the era, and the later ones are very easy to service as well. If I were to choose, I'd say those late '60s Bally reels are the best.

#23 2 years ago

Has anyone ever worked on those Midway motorized reels with the shims and magnets?
    I did a while back. Figured I better take a lot of pictures! Once everything was cleaned up and reassembled, they worked great.

#24 2 years ago

Gottlieb is picking up in the poll:

Williams still 19 votes
    Gottlieb 11 votes
    Bally 4 votes
    Zaccaria 1 vote

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-included-which-manufacturer-had-the-best-score-reels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.