Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“3 or 5 ball play?”

• all pins are set to 3 73 votes
      73%
    • all pins are set to 5 13 votes
      13%
    • some set to 3 and some at 5 14 votes
      14%

(100 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DLS.jpeg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

just curious how the majority of us have our games setup regarding the number of balls in play; for pins that have that as a set-up option.

#2 12 years ago

for me, 3 never 5.

#3 12 years ago

Just 3 for me.

#4 12 years ago

I voted 3.If I still had EM's I would set them on 5 balls.

#5 12 years ago

SS @ 3 EM @ 5

#6 12 years ago

I only play 3. The wife plays 2.

#7 12 years ago

I feel like I get more play out of a pin @ 3 ball. If I set STTNG @ 5 (or allow buy-in)I can hit the wizard mode most of the time, it lowers the replay value for me

#8 12 years ago

the only way I play with 5 is if I get 2 extra balls. 3 all day.

#9 12 years ago

3. 2 if proceeded by three. Never 5. The number counted shall be three and three shall be the number. Sorry.

#10 12 years ago

I voted for 3 but I dont have any EMs - some EMs are brutal and probably are more fun with 5 balls. but any SS game should be set to 3 - extra balls optional but not in tournaments

#11 12 years ago

All at 3.

#12 12 years ago

5 .......of course....I suck...so I shoot 5 and pretend it's only 3! Works for me

#13 12 years ago

All on 3 ball.

#14 12 years ago

3 always, execpt the old EM

#15 12 years ago

3 on all my pins. Never 5.

#16 12 years ago

I don't own any EM's, but that is the only time I would ever set my games to 5 balls. Otherwise, they are all on 3 ball with no buy-in.

#17 12 years ago

Factory setting.

#18 12 years ago

"Three"- that's the magic numberrr...
    DLS.jpegDLS.jpeg

#19 12 years ago

I have set some on 5 in the past but I have weaned to 3. I get frustrated so sometimes 5 keeps it alive....

#20 12 years ago

Always 3.

#21 12 years ago

Most 3, one pin 5. The one pin with 5 is because the person I bought from had it set to 5 and his initials are still on there for GC. Thought about resetting it as I don't think that really counts. 3 ball is better for shorter games.

#22 12 years ago

We've done this before.

My pins are set at 5-ball because of my age. I grew up where all the pins I ever played had 5 balls. I'm stubborn. To me, 3-ball pins were invented for the sole purpose of shorter playing times, thus more profit, and screw the player. This may not make sense, but this is a subliminal message to me that a 3-ball pin meant I was going to be getting less for my money. I would like to think there is more to it than profit. Plus, people from my era just automatically expected to get 5 balls, and old habits die hard!

I THINK this 3-ball thing is more of a 'modern era' phenomenon. In the interest of keeping things on a level playing field (no pun intended!) when comparing high scores, 3 would definitely be the standard.

To each his own . . .
    Mike

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

We've done this before.

Lol Yeah, I wonder how many of these threads would show up if I did a search?
    Real Mutants play with 3 balls.

#24 12 years ago

all ems set to 5. anything else 3. i voted for both

#25 12 years ago

3 balls on my TSPP.

#26 12 years ago

3 on all except ij, do have buy-in active but only to help equalize skills.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from EvilJack:

I only play 3. The wife plays 2.

Boosh! Good One... lol

#28 12 years ago

+1, used to have them at 5

#29 12 years ago

5 here idk guess i am a newbie

#30 12 years ago

What about 4 balls?

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from dvandentop:

5 here idk guess i am a newbie

Yep same here. I have The Shadow set to 5 cause I can't get very far. My LW3 is set to 5 cause games would last 2 mins on 3 ball. I need to change the set up on LW3, it is too hard.

#32 12 years ago

5 balls on a solid state pin is cheating!

3 is the way they are meant to be played!

#33 12 years ago

whoa, no option for 4?
    3 baby

#34 12 years ago

Is all tournament play on SS 3 ball and EM 5 ball?

#35 12 years ago

3 ball. Factory settings

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

5 balls on a solid state pin is cheating!

I cheat ALL of the time. 5 balls, two maybe even four replay levels, 2 buy-ins or so. I average about 15 actual balls or so a game counting the extra balls "earned" during gameplay.

I actually set Taxi to 6 balls for my friends. They don't like to drain and get bored with my pins when they do. I have to feed them tons of balls to keep them interested. I actually could play on 3 ball and be fine with it... I guess...

#37 12 years ago

Pinball is 5 balls.

#38 12 years ago

When I host a party, I usually set mine to 5 balls, because most of my friends are not really good in pinball and I don't usually play, the more they last, the more they will like pinball machines. that way I make pinheads of my friends. When alone, I set it to 3.

#39 12 years ago

My Black Knight 2000 is set to 5 balls cause that was the factory setting. Same with Haunted House (I think, no one has ever really confirmed what the factory setting on it was). Laser Cue gets set to 5 balls because it's impossible to get any decent bonus otherwise. All the rest get 3 balls.

#40 12 years ago

Really depends on the game. Generally speaking 3 ball for SS/DMD and 5 ball on EM's but there are exceptions. I have my SS Joker Poker set at 5 ball because the bonus multiplier is designed for 5 and I have Shadow set at 5 ball because it's so damn brutal otherwise (OK I cheat on this one but it keeps the wife happy).

#41 12 years ago

Mine on default is 3, but I do have a buy in button. I consider that the cheater high scores, but I can't resist pressing that buy in frequently if I'm not hitting any high scores and I'm not totally sucking that day.

Also, if I suck on a buy in ball I usually complain that I spent .50 on that d@mn ball even though it's on free play.

#42 12 years ago

I always use the factory settings, i.e 3 balls. Until I got a RS and did the same thing with the buy in button resulting in more than a few 9 ball games. So I set RS to 5 ball and turned off the re-buy option. I think it suits that particular game very well.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

"Three"- that's the magic numberrr...

Attachments DLS.jpeg (7.6 KB, 0 downloads) 21 hours old

Awesomeness!

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Pinball is 5 balls.

Careful. You're showing your age there, Ted.

Quoted from Finrod:

My Black Knight 2000 is set to 5 balls cause that was the factory setting. Same with Haunted House (I think, no one has ever really confirmed what the factory setting on it was).

Wouldn't the factory setting be whatever the game defaults to when you reset it?

#46 12 years ago

Lol. I didn't bother to do a search before I posted my poll. But yes, seems to be.

#47 12 years ago

Factory settings--always.

Otherwise a 3-ball DMD game becomes way too easy; plus you'll tire of it quicker.

Like starting with the last chapter of a new book.

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Lol. I didn't bother to do a search before I posted my poll.

On some forums I've been on, when you attempt to start a new thread, it automatically shows you past threads with similar titles. I'd love to see something like this implemented on Pinside.

#49 12 years ago

Factory settings (but I only have one pin, so I guess that makes my vote a 3).

Later,
    EV

#50 12 years ago

Good idea. The quote button doesn't work on a iPad.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-huo-ball-settings-3-or-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.