(Topic ID: 313412)

Poll - how much does a pinball's theme matter to you?

By MtnFrost

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by zarco
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Gameplay being equal, do you care what the theme (artwork & sound) on a pinball is when you consider adding a pinball to your collection?”

• Theme matters a lot 112 votes
      82%
    • Theme does not matter 24 votes
      18%

(136 votes)

#1 2 years ago

This came up in another thread. Does the theme of a pinball machine matter, if everything else is equal (gameplay, cost, fun, etc..)? Theme is defined as the subject matter in the art, sound, and sometimes game design (ala Black Hole, for instance). Your opinion?

#2 2 years ago

I'm going with "Doesn't matter" although that isn't exactly true.

A good shooting game with awesome rules can overcome a license I don't really like; IMDN & MET being great examples.

BUT there are themes like TMNT & WWE that I wouldn't let in my house (which is not a sacred place ).

I'm expecting this poll to be over 90% theme though.

Quoted from MtnFrost:

I'll post the results in a week.

THe poll results are always shown

#3 2 years ago

It has to be a great game first. A good theme is just a bonus to me.

I think music is more important than theme.

#4 2 years ago

The best theme would be one all about quality playfields.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Interesting; you are going to be listening to it quite a bit.

Wondering what the breakdown would be on diff'rent elements.
    Art for me is dead last.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm expecting this poll to be over 90% theme though.

If people were honest it would be, but few want to think of themselves as collecting overpriced lunchboxes.

#7 2 years ago

A good theme generally grabs your attention. A well playing game has staying power. When the two are balanced, it usually makes for a great game.

#8 2 years ago

If I cared about theme first, I wouldn't own an Addams Family or FG and wouldn't have Baywatch on my wish list. Love Godzilla but couldn't care less about the theme.

I think Tron is the only game I would fanboy over theme to own, even if it were just a below-average shooter. The price keeps it just out of reach though.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

It has to be a great game first. A good theme is just a bonus to me.

All things being equal, so assume it's a great game regardless.

#10 2 years ago

With movies it can be the best filmed, best acted, best color graded revolutionary movie ever but if I don't like the theme I just won't watch it. I'm similar with pinball, generally I need to like the theme otherwise I won't be interested in playing the game. Taking it a step further I also need good art and sound as well. If new pinball releases were a rare thing then I would definitely compromise on that line of thinking, but given how many new pins are coming out now I find there is no need to compromise and instead just wait until I get the full package.

#11 2 years ago

I think there’s another big factor here that isn’t getting mentioned, and that’s money.

When money isn’t an obstacle and you’re shopping for NIB and/or nice used games and you can pretty much buy what you want, theme can easily play a much bigger factor. When you are just trying to find games to play and enjoy on a limited budget, my guess is theme becomes far less of a determining factor.

But, there isn’t a good way to do a poll on that.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

I think there’s another big factor here that isn’t getting mentioned, and that’s money.
    When money isn’t an obstacle and you’re shopping for NIB and/or nice used games and you can pretty much buy what you want, theme can easily play a much bigger factor. When you are just trying to find games to play and enjoy on a limited budget, my guess is theme becomes far less of a determining factor.
    But, there isn’t a good way to do a poll on that.

It's a good point, being that a lot of the titles available for low budget collecting usually have issues of some kind, or they wouldn't be budget values. For the poll though, it's supposed to be if all other things are equal (cost being one of them).

#13 2 years ago

I mean if gameplay and money are equal, I think pretty much everyone would prefer a theme they like over one they don’t. That’s pretty much all there is to consider at that point.

#14 2 years ago

I appreciate the thought however the poll options are way too simple. For most people theme and gameplay are two axes and above some intersection of “good” on both that person will be interested in the game. And that’s different for everyone and the weight of each axis is as well. And I don’t think “theme does not matter” applies to anyone. If a theme was Expressing the Anal Glands of Dogs I don’t anyone would buy that if it were the best playing game if all time.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

I mean if gameplay and money are equal, I think pretty much everyone would prefer a theme they like over one they don’t. That’s pretty much all there is to consider at that point.

But if the game play is great, and you really hate the theme, does that mean you pass, or do you buy it?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

But if the game play is great, and you really hate the theme, does that mean you pass, or do you buy it?

Well, this is a timely question for me. I have no interest in the art or theme for AIQ, but I think the Pre/LE is Elwin’s best layout to date (maybe even better than Godzilla Premium, which I’ve pre-ordered). I see one for $8k within driving distance, and I ask myself: “Is this the next Congo?” I bought a Congo in 2003 for a song, and I’ve continued to enjoy it. Congo’s theme is ridiculous, and the art is just okay, but my friends and I would be sad if I ever sold it.

You definitely need a middle option: “If the layout is great, I can ignore the theme or find a way to love it.”

Add MET to that list too. I had no interest in Metallica, but I bought one because I could tell the layout would make it a classic, and it marked the beginning of great art on Stern pins. My son loves the band, but I wouldn’t still have the game if that was all it had going for it.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I’ve bought (traded for) an AC/DC and they are probably my most hated band. If there were a roughly equally fun playing game available at the time I probably would have gone that way. But even really disliking the theme, I wanted to get to know the game because it was highly acclaimed.

3 months later
    #19 1 year ago

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to trying new pins out. I certainly gravitate more to pins with themes I like or find interesting, but in the grand scheme of things I've played some surprisingly good tables that had themes I really didn't care for. For example, I'm not a huge fan of band themed pins, but I've played a few that I really liked. The best example of this is the Ironmaiden machine. Went in with even expectations and now it's easily a top 10 pin for me.

#20 1 year ago

Viasual and audio are a big part of my experience. I’m unlikely to spend much time on a theme I don’t like. An easy example for me is Stern Metallica. This is a really excellent game with music that I dislike.

#21 1 year ago

I voted does not matter. Certainly it matters, and will sell games. But great games can come from any theme. Taxi is amazing, but describe the theme to someone and tell me that’s what sold the games. Same thing with the shadow, although a generic shadow theme sounds solid to me.

#22 1 year ago

Theme matters to me in that there is a minimum standard that a pinball machine must meet. I care way more about gameplay, but there are certain themes that I would actively dislike and not allow into my house. For me personally, that theme is usually horror or things that are way too adult oriented. Theme has the potential to help a machine in my view, but it has the ability to torpedo a machine more than any other single factor.

Machines that would never come in my house no matter how much I like the gameplay.

Playboy
    Nightmare on Elm street
    Halloween
    Big Juicy melons
    Primus
    WWE
    WWF
    The Shadow with original translite (I really hate Alec Baldwin and yes I know it's a lookalike).
    Rob Zombie
    Alex Cooper Nightmare Castle
    Goldeneye (rare wife veto)
    Fire and Brimstone

Walking dead is the closest, but my kids wouldn't go back in the arcade with one. Elvira is borderline.

Other folks may love these games and themes and I hope they continue to make a variety of themes for everyone to enjoy, but the theme alone kills it for me on these machines.

#23 1 year ago

IF the theme is well done as in ST:TNG, AF and TZ, yeah, it makes the game
    far more than a generic theme. But not all were well done. So I'd say IF and
    only IF the designer does a good job researching the theme and does a good
    job morphing it into a game, it'll be a sure winner. If they get lazy and
    do a poor job (Star Trek, Elvis are two IMO) don't bother.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-how-much-does-a-pinball-s-theme-matter-to-you?hl=ryguy80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.