(Topic ID: 149039)

POLL: How many pins can you set up in your house?

By swampfire

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jeff_286
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How many pins could you have set up and running (please read 1st post)?”

• 1-5 82 votes
      23%
    • 6-10 103 votes
      28%
    • 11-15 50 votes
      14%
    • 16-20 35 votes
      10%
    • 21-25 24 votes
      7%
    • 26-30 15 votes
      4%
    • 31-35 12 votes
      3%
    • 36-40 7 votes
      2%
    • More than 40 34 votes
      9%

(362 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

batcave20_(resized).JPG
    batcave10_(resized).JPG
    batcave_(resized).JPG
    basement4_(resized).JPG
    basement3_(resized).JPG
    basement1_(resized).JPG
    overall_shot_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3234_3_(resized).jpg
    20160103_133651_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3200_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3630_(resized).JPG
    P9194306_(resized).JPG
    2013-02-09_13.14.33_(resized).jpg
    IMG_2135_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2134_(resized).JPG
    gameromm_july2013_(resized).JPG
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Simple question: how many pins can you have set up and running right now in your house? If you have a building for your pins on your property, include that. Don't include future expansion plans, or space that's currently "disputed" territory (e.g. the dining room - for 80% of us, that belongs to our spouses).

If you have space ready for more pins than you own, answer for space. Let's make this a snapshot of Pinball Homeland territory right now.

I know a guy who had 50+ games set up in his <3000 s.f. home. But for me, it's 16 pins in our 1500 s.f. basement, with no plans for expansion. The rest of my games are in a storage unit.

#2 8 years ago

17 in the game room, 4 in the small room next to the game room, and one homeless game currently set up in the kitchen.

#3 8 years ago

It's an interesting question...

I've been thinking about it, and a few counter-questions come to mind. For example: I have a room that I can pretty-easily fit 7 games. I could put in an eighth, if I never want to do any work on them, or squeeze in nine, without much room to even walk around

Another question is - what about the stuff already in these rooms? With better organization, and possibly getting rid of furniture that we don't use anyway. Maybe 15 more games.

I don't really want to put games in my unheated garage, but if I had to, maybe 5 more.

Then, if I want to sacrifice every last bit of storage, work space, etc: 8-10 more.

All told, maybe 40 if I want wall-to-wall pinballs. Also, I haven't asked my wife what she would think if living in a house with 40 pinballs. My assumption would be her response would be of the generally negative type.

#4 8 years ago

Working toward 30. Close.

#5 8 years ago

I've got 13 with room for 16 in the first part of my basement. Depending how I organize it I could fit probably another 10 by tearing down a wall. If I slowly take over the family room I could get another 10+ up there.

#6 8 years ago

20-25

Will vote later after I measure. ?

#7 8 years ago

Room for or wife will tolerate?

Right now as is about 6 or so, if I get rid of the pool table it could easily be 12 or so.

#8 8 years ago

Maybe 14. More if I squeeze woodrails upstairs or ditch the bowler...

#9 8 years ago

I can have 6 games set up to play

#10 8 years ago

Wife tolerates low 20's. Could get 50 plus in basement with none upstairs or garage.

#11 8 years ago

I have 6 up and running now, but could squeeze in a few more. They are in my mancave basement/den. Re arranging machines is a PITA.

#12 8 years ago

2000 Sq ft, currently got 12 spread out across basement, two bedrooms, and living room, but could fit another 4 downstairs, two upstairs, and four in the garage.

#13 8 years ago

I don't think you asked the question quite right. It's not a matter of how many you can have. It's a matter of how many will your wife allow you to have.

#14 8 years ago

If I wanted to, I could have 40 plus easy in my basement. I live in a ranch so the basement is pretty big. I think our sweet spot is going to be 15-20.

#15 8 years ago

Well the game room has 10 pins plus bar,foosball,pool table,air hockey,multicade,basketball and Xbox. The basement has zero and could fit 100 or so which would lead to divorce court. So I keep it real.

#16 8 years ago

I don't want to have a conversation about upstairs games with my family, so I'm stuck in the basement (and only about half of that is for pins). I'm stuck at 16 games, but I'm happy with that. That's about all I can keep running anyway.

#17 8 years ago

We have space for 5 games comfortably in our arcade. During the Pinball BBQ, we have space for 33 games.

#18 8 years ago

19 of them up and running. What a beautiful sight!

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from helicopter:

I don't think you asked the question quite right. It's not a matter of how many you can have. It's a matter of how many will your wife allow you to have.

I wouldn't know that problem.

#20 8 years ago

15 up and running and if I got rid of the sit down driving game and 3 other arcades I'd have room for 20 total pins.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from MnHotRod:

We have space for 5 games comfortably in our arcade. During the Pinball BBQ, we have space for 33 games.

Oh yeah Pinball BBQ is GREAT!! 5 months to go.

#22 8 years ago

7 comfortably. 8 uncomfortably.

We have plans to build onto the house. Assuming we get that done - we'll should be able to move the workout equipment out of the basement and fit another couple in.

Neither of us are willing to get rid of the workout equipment (it gets used daily) or move to the suburbs to get a bigger house (we love being downtown) - and I won't let pins live in the dining or living room. So yes - it's all my fault.

#23 8 years ago

A maximum of eight...if I want to keep my wife.

One...if I'm kicked out and have to live with Kaneda.

#24 8 years ago

Are we counting the garage too?
    18 in the house and 15 in the garage as it sits now. I always seem to find room for more though.

#25 8 years ago

Garage doesn't count I am guessing? 11 in house arcade and 5 in garage. If it was up to me, the cats would not have their own room so it would be 20 total.

#26 8 years ago

16 in garage, 4 more in the office

#27 8 years ago

8 as of right now. come 2018 25 is the goal in the house we are building

#28 8 years ago

4 inside the house. The rest are in the garage

#29 8 years ago

Unfortunately, just 1.
    Fortunately that's enough to have one to practice on, decipher the code of, watch videos of, brag about, complain about, curse at, defend vehemently, waste money on mods for, spend time thinking about, share stories about online, spend time playing together with my wife, and to provide a commonality to make friends with other pinball owners.

No complaints.

#30 8 years ago

A garage definitely counts, if it's a space your family lets you use for pins. That's not the case for me, sadly. I can't even store them in the garage.

#31 8 years ago

Ok then. In my 1450 sq. ft house and two car garage I probably have room for 50 or more. So I'm not there yet.

#32 8 years ago

Reached 23 in the house.
    The major pb are electrical energy , and heat because i'm located in moutains , and the gameroom is fresh in winter.

Thinking to install some machines in a cottage i would like to buy..

www.flipper-vintage.fr/decoflip

Lionel

gameromm_july2013_(resized).JPGgameromm_july2013_(resized).JPG

#33 8 years ago

24 set up in basement. Not all running though. And another 13 in my (24 x 12) addition were set up but had to brake them down to move another 13 pins in, foosball table, and 3 video games in from my old storage. No pins are allowed upstairs. Not easy finding a wife that would put up with me owning 50+ pins and want to keep it that way. Future plans to build a 34x40 (pinball room) addition coming soon.

Bar stools and bar are only furniture in basement. Got rid of my couch, two chairs and LazyBoy when pins started coming in.

#34 8 years ago

Dedicated room with 9 set up and a place next to Fathom for no 10.I don't know what it will be or when it will happen.Decent examples of pins for sale in Au are becoming rare and of course,nothings cheap.

IMG_2134_(resized).JPGIMG_2134_(resized).JPG

IMG_2135_(resized).JPGIMG_2135_(resized).JPG

#35 8 years ago

I have had 5 in the gameroom, but if I lose the other arcades and the couch(for the kids Xbox) I could fit 5-6 more

#36 8 years ago

4 keepers in the living room, 2 in the garage, 3 at work, 1 in the basement getting rehabbed & countless just waiting for me to buy

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

Dedicated room with 9 set up and a place next to Fathom for no 10.I don't know what it will be or when it will happen.Decent examples of pins for sale in Au are becoming rare and of course,nothings cheap.

IMG_2134_(resized).JPGIMG_2135_(resized).JPG

Nice room but upgrade that tv, mate! I'm just messin' with ya!

#38 8 years ago

I top out somewhere around 70 pins and @20 vids.

2013-02-09_13.14.33_(resized).jpg2013-02-09_13.14.33_(resized).jpg
    P9194306_(resized).JPGP9194306_(resized).JPG

(Thought I had a good shot of the other gameroom areas, but apparently they aren't on this device).

Pete

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from helicopter:

Well lets see I voted 36 to 40 for space as it is now but if I had my way there would be 50+...This is set up with comfortable space to walk between to be able to work on them and move around while people are playing...
    We have 20 set up in the basement (room for 2 or 3 more if I rearrange) I have already moved walls and doors to accommodate more, and would like to move a spacing wall put up by original owners for the laundry room (that doesn't need to be where it is since I just got a new washer dryer set that stacks so the wall could move and open up more space for pins...)
    There are 5 in the dining room (I convinced hubby that it was wasted space that only got used twice a year so furniture went to storage and pins moved in)
    There are 6 in the living room (furniture?? who needs furniture) right now if we could get rid of monstrosity of a TV we could fit 2 or 3 more in there...
    there are 2 in the entry hall
    there is 1 in the family room, when we are getting ready for league/tourney or party we swap the furniture and put in pins so there could be up to 5 in there. If we leave the couch, we have had 4 up in there.
    Right now the garage is primarily the work shop, where Fathom is getting put back together...with several others waiting their turn to get in the lineup... (Now if I get the garage redone as I want it,) we usually set up 2 or 3 in the garage when we are getting ready for a party (in the warmer weather)...(there will be room for at least 20 in there and the pool table can come out of storage and be set up once again...but that is when I win the lottery so I'm not counting that!) Right now there are 3 set up in the garage (with heaters running) but I have the BGs in the house so they are safe. There are also 3 videos, an Atari video pinball and a jukebox.
    So right now...there are 32 set up to play in the house...Come on lottery!!!

Phoebe

#40 8 years ago

I'm relatively young, just graduated from college, so I'm still poor, in debt, and living at home. I've been collecting since I was in the 8th grade with my dad's help (until recently, it's been a hobby we've both shared). We've mutually split the basement in the house. Half is mine, half is his. Still, I've managed to have 14 games set up and running, but it wasn't ideal. I've got my dated photos from years ago showing the setup. Some games aren't shown in the picture. It has since been cleaned and more organized for sure, +/- some different games. The wall that Lectronamo sits against is the wall we built to separate our sections.

IMG_3630_(resized).JPGIMG_3630_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3200_(resized).JPGIMG_3200_(resized).JPG

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

P9194306_(resized).JPG
    (Thought I had a good shot of the other gameroom areas, but apparently they aren't on this device).
    Pete

I spy a Matrix trans on a JM

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

P9194306_(resized).JPG
    Pete

Love your gameroom. Amazing to see so many pins lined up. I could put pins in every room in the house and the garage if I was crazy enough. I'm not married and pretty sure the kids wouldn't mind lol. I Prefer to keep my games together and don't want to maintain a large collection. If I move some things around, I can probably get 6-7 pins in my current office/arcade.

#43 8 years ago

I can fit 12 full size machines in my gameroom along with up to 2 additional smaller machines (Pin2K or smaller). Currently I have a RFM and a cocktail in the smaller slots. I feel like this is a good size for a collection and offers a decent amount of diversity and is still a challenge to keep this number of games working. If my gameroom were larger I'd likely add a couple vids, bubble hockey, foosball and a small bar before adding more pins.

#44 8 years ago

I have none in the house I built a small gameroom out back and can have 6 or 7 machines in there.

#45 8 years ago

I could probably fit 40+ in the basement if I really wanted to but then I would have to get rid of all the other toys...poker table, pool table, arcades, theatre...I have toyed w/ that idea but I just can't let go of the other toys so I keep the collection between 6-9 pins in the back room...when I have people over they play everything but the pins so just can't do it

#46 8 years ago

12 pins, 2 vids. I host monthly events and others in-between so comfort and space matters thus my pin space is limited. However, every machine can be played without feeling completely claustrophobic. My "Loser's Lounge" area is a hit and I will not reclaim it for the sake of more pins. During a tournament, people who are eliminated retreat to the "Loser's Lounge" (i.e. where the bar and seating is located) and socialize.

12 pins keeps me busy with maintenance/mods as well.

#47 8 years ago

2 comfortably, 3 with a bit of crowding

I clearly did not plan for pinball when laying out my finished basement 15yrs ago. I certainly would have done things differently. I had set it up as kite workshop with a very long workbench along the long wall and a bank of bifold closet doors directly across on the opposite wall. A good setup for the planned workshop where floor space and wall space is not a concern whatsoever.

I still cannot bring in a second machine until I get a mostly unused loveseat out of the basement. I hate this constraint and look jealously at other's houses with huge gaping space in their basements.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

How do you handle the power requirements for that many? I've read the recommended number of pins on a 20A circuit is 6, so using that recommendation, you would overload your 200A service at 60, not including running anything else in the house.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Nice room but upgrade that tv, mate! I'm just messin' with ya!

he he,photo's a bit old

#50 8 years ago

I will max out at 20 with the space my wife is ok with me putting pins in. I have some land that I plan on putting up a large steel building on for a future arcade. I've always dreamed of having enough space so I don't have to worry about space and be bale to have pins, pool table, ping ping, skeeball, some arcades, a bar, etc...

Ideally, I will keep 10 pins in the basement and have everything else out there.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-how-many-pins-can-you-set-up-in-your-house and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.