(Topic ID: 137924)

POLL: Hobbit or GOT? Which do you want more?

By kaneda

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dphelps
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which dragon do you want more?”

• GOT 92 votes
    67%
  • Hobbit 46 votes
    33%

(138 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

Wow...we all speculated this might happen and in one of the most brilliant marketing moves of all time, Stern is bringing it's dragon to fight JJP's dragon. I bet they will both be great pins, but it's hard not to see GOT winning this battle. What do you think. Vote now.

#2 4 years ago

Pretty sure we should actually see one before deciding..

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Very, very fair point. Think we will on Tuesday.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Very, very fair point. Think we will on Tuesday.

Im looking forward to the reveal

#5 4 years ago

To soon to pick one. But if you really want an answer i would chose Jaws.

#6 4 years ago

Hendrix!

#7 4 years ago

I'm in on GoT. I could also see buying The Hobbit and have been looking for a nice LOTR LE for awhile (and secretly hoping for a VE); but of the bunch, I think the GoT theme wins out overall. One of the biggest surprises out of all the threads is how many pinheads have not seen the show. It's such a fantastic series. I think we'd see a lot less indifference if more Pinsiders were to watch the show.

#8 4 years ago

GOT is so amazing. Everyone who likes fantasy NEEDS to watch it.

#9 4 years ago

GOT, at least we know the game will be delivered... on time.

can't wait for season 6.

#10 4 years ago

Interflips Dragon FTW

#11 4 years ago

I like GoT and Hobbit as themes. Want to see what GoT looks like before I make a decision whether to buy one. Hobbit may not even be out before the end of the year.

#12 4 years ago

Need to see it. But I admit, based on theme, t-h-i-s close to bailing on Hobbit for GoT. All things being equal, I THINK I would go GoT.

Dunno. Could just be the flavor-of-the-month effect.

But, like I said, all other things need to be equal. The Hobbit's LCD, for me, is a big draw, so GoT would have to overcome that significant feature. But with a multiplatform SR game, well, it's not impossible.

Hobbit's individually controlled drops look fun, different, and intriguing. But I would have to play with them to really get a sense as to how Keith plans to use them (but it's Keith, so he's probably going to use them pretty darned well).

But SR could have a few tricks up his sleeve, too. Once again, multiplatform SR game just sounds wicked cool.

If it's just another member of the SM/ACDC/ST series (not identical but close enough for me), then Hobbit all the way, no hesitation.

I'm going 70-30 Hobbit at this point, but Hobbit delays are maddening and GoT design rumors are exciting EXCEPT for the DMD maintenance. Need to see it. Stern has a real shot at my Hobbit money.

And this is why being reflexively anti-JJP or anti-Stern is stupid: competition works, baby!

#13 4 years ago

I ran out of patience on the Hobbit and instead bought a TZ to restore. If GoT is great, I'd seriously consider it, but I won't be going back in on Hobbit.

#14 4 years ago

Not even close. Hobbit can not compete. Movies were not good and the timing is really bad. GOT all the way and I will predict that without even seeing GOT. LE will be sold out before Hobbit ships.

#15 4 years ago

I've got two friends who are still in on TH, so GoT for me.

Hopefully they stay the course and don't get derailed by the Ritchie hype train.

#16 4 years ago

I'd pick GOT over TH, but I'll buy neither. Saving my cash and space for Alien!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Well, I've seen/played Hobbit - so this comparison is a bit unfair. I've already decided I am not interested in Hobbit based on what I've played. I'm currently more interested in GoT just based on theme & Ritchie. I need to at least see GoT to truly make a fair comparison.

#18 4 years ago

For those who have played Hobbit, what did you think? I only got one play in, but it seemed pretty barren compared to WOZ and other titles. For me, the issue was the lack of rewarding shots, just a lot of looping around ramps and hitting drop targets. Ball does nothing interesting or magical with any shot. I think for 8-9K, there needs to be a magical shot / ball moment. Even TBL's bowling is new, original and awesome. Thoughts?

#19 4 years ago

Based on pics, I'd rather have GOT

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Based on pics, I'd rather have GOT

what pics?

I thought TH was a snooze fest, but lets just say I played 6 balls total on beta software but that's all I can judge on, I don't like the layout or the shots what is the upper flipper for?

#21 4 years ago

Neither this early/late

#22 4 years ago

GoT is a better theme but I think Hobbit will be an overall better package. JJP games have a certain oomph that Sterns lack (along with a higher price). With Ritchie at the helm and having plenty of time for development, I think GoT will be great and I'm looking forward to playing both.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

what pics?

Exactly...there's only TH pics.

#24 4 years ago

It all depends if GOT does not have a lcd tha hobbit will be way better.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

GoT is a better theme but I think Hobbit will be an overall better package. JJP games have a certain oomph that Sterns lack (along with a higher price). With Ritchie at the helm and having plenty of time for development, I think GoT will be great and I'm looking forward to playing both.

When you say JJP games have more OOMPH, what games exactly are you talking about? What OOMPH does WOZ have over, oh, I don't know, shall we say...

LOTR
Metallica
Tron
ACDC
TWD
Star Trek
Spiderman

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

When you say JJP games have more OOMPH, what games exactly are you talking about?

Far superior RGB lighting, two upper playfields, deep code (only LOTR comes close), and a 26" LCD screen.

#27 4 years ago

are you really comparing WOZ's code to LOTR? WOZ does have a lot of OOMPH and you can tell they went crazy with the playfields / toys...Hobbit has none of that going on. Next to WOZ it looks empty.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Completely agree. If it doesn't, I would not even give GOT a second thought.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Even if it does have a LCD if it's like WWE than forget about it. Do it right or not at all.

#30 4 years ago

Far superior RGB lighting, two upper playfields, deep code (only LOTR comes close), and a 26" LCD screen.

I think there is just as much to do in Lyman coded Metallica, Spider-Man, even acdc as there is to do in woz or lotr. Spider-Man is incredibly deep actually and most owners have never been to super hero let alone completed it. I've only been there once. It's a long road there and the 6 stage wizard mode is hard to complete and exciting.

The lcd screen is nice and I'd take one as a mod to my existing games given the choice. But it shouldn't be a deciding factor as you're playing the lcd. While playing, I bet you don't look at the lcd even 0.025% of the time. I bet it's about .5 seconds for every 20 seconds looking at the Playfield. More when the ball is stopped and less when the action is intense.

I played hobbit and it was actually pretty good. I liked the pop ups in the Playfield and the ramps were more fun to shoot than I expected. Without seeing got, I can't see how anyone can make a comparison.

#31 4 years ago

Assuming GOT will be Stern's 3rd SPIKE pin, it will really be disappointing if they don't finally offer high resolution video and scrap the lousy low resolution monochrome DMD work. I don't care how large the LCD is...just interested in actual footage from the show.

After seeing the KISS promo video, it's so disappointing that they do all this high-tech 3D modeling and then downscale it to the point where some of the images are almost unrecognizable. Original dot-art is cool, but down-scaling from actual concert footage is LAME.

Despite the potential disappointment, doesn't impact my buy decision much. If it's a great game otherwise, I'd still consider purchasing a GOT. All depends on the rest of the package...I don't play the DMD/LCD.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Really?

guess we should chuck all those crappy non-LCD games weve been playing....

Dont get me wrong, i really want to see stern implement an lcd, but its not the ONLY factor in a machine.

#33 4 years ago

Thread is 3 years ahead of its time

Hobbit is typical JJP... Late to the show & who knows what issues it will have

GOT is typical Stern... All hype, no LCD & incomplete code for years/forever

Please bump this thread in 2019

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Really?
guess we should chuck all those crappy non-LCD games weve been playing....

I never said hobbit with a LCD is better than any DMD. I'm saying it will be better then GOT because with those two games you need full color motion video IMO.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I never said hobbit with a LCD is better than any DMD. I'm saying it will be better then GOT because with those two games you need full color motion video IMO.

I understand what you said.... I just find it comical you can pass judgement on a game without knowing one thing more than its name!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

For those who have played Hobbit, what did you think? I only got one play in, but it seemed pretty barren compared to WOZ and other titles. For me, the issue was the lack of rewarding shots, just a lot of looping around ramps and hitting drop targets. Ball does nothing interesting or magical with any shot. I think for 8-9K, there needs to be a magical shot / ball moment. Even TBL's bowling is new, original and awesome. Thoughts?

I played Hobbit (full disclosure, I've pre-ordered one) at TPF in March and thought it was great. All of the individually controlled drop targets and the 4 playfield pop-ups. This is going to be a fun game for target shooting. Yes, the movies were nowhere near as good as the LOTR movies, but the theme is still great and the usage of the LCD is even better than WOZ IMO. The talking dragon head is a cool toy. The center cross-ramp shots flow nicely.

Until GOT is actually unveiled, I don't see how an informed comparison can really be made, unless you're going solely off theme. That being said, I'm very happy with my order of the Hobbit and can't wait to have one in my house. I certainly hope GOT is fantastic too. If it were to be even better than hobbit, that would be great for pinball. Maybe I'd even eventually need to own both.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Braunfels, TX

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside