(Topic ID: 332896)

Poll: Do you like rainbow lights in modern pinball games?

By pinmister

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll: Do you like rainbow lights in modern pinball games? ”

• No, I do not care for rainbow LED lighting in modern pinball 64 votes
      43%
    • Yes, I enjoy the rainbow LED lighting in modern pinball 46 votes
      31%
    • I like pizza 38 votes
      26%

(148 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_7459780_2.jpg
    drowning.gif
    taste the rainbow...gif
    rainbow.gif
    411136ce-a6d2-4e1c-8335-de2f45fec2ba_text.gif
    blinding light.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ezgif-2-e2658c3155.gif
    Pizza slut..gif
    Pizza slut.gif
    3F21D9B3-24CE-4780-B965-3F411D021F3A (resized).jpeg
    Taste the rainbow (resized).jpg
    Star Trek skittles (resized).jpg
    Tast the rainbow (resized).jpg
    Skittles (resized).jpg
    Pleasure gimp (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Over the last few years manufacturers have started to add rainbow lighting to their games.

What are your thoughts about modern pinball manufacturers using rainbow lighting in their games? Do you enjoy the show? Do you find it annoying and a distraction? Would you like to see this fad continue for future builds? Do you like pizza?

#2 1 year ago

Needs to be more linked to the theme. For the first few games like WoZ and Star Trek, the full rainbow made sense. For many other themes it should be more limited.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Needs to be more linked to the theme

The JJP Godfather theme definitely does not seem like it is suited for a rainbow show and it looks out of place to me.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

The JJP Godfather theme definitely does not seem like it is suited for a rainbow show and it looks out of place to me.

It should be red & green lights like the Italian flag.

#5 1 year ago

I always forget how popular pizza is in my polls

pizza-happy-dance.gifpizza-happy-dance.gifpizza-sauce.gifpizza-sauce.gif
    #6 1 year ago

Make sense for a pin like Toy Story, but not like a pin like Godfather. Rainbow lights are cool if implemented properly, not if they are just flashing all of the time for no reason.

#7 1 year ago

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

#8 1 year ago

Honestly my favorite part about bond is the old school lighting look it has.

#9 1 year ago

So I admit-I did enjoy the expression lighting on my Led Zeppelin LE when first released. When I received the machine I thought Ok this is unique and different. It adds to the psychedelic graphics and gives it a concert like experience syncing with the different songs. After months having it-I now could care less if I had it or not.

I had an instant afterthought a month or so later where I questioned if using rainbow lighting in modern pinball was a good or bad thing long term? Then Stern announced RUSH expression lighting and I knew this fad would continue. Other manufactures like JJP went a step above and instead of locating them inside the cabinet shining outwards they decided to have them shining directly in your face. It reminds me of someone wanting to buy a set of pinstadiums and have them installed upside down-shining in your face. While some may like the light show(maybe Toy Story) I do not feel like games need to have a rainbow show. My thought going forward was to have the manufactures offer expression lighting or upside down pinstadiums as an aftermarket addition. You want to turn the game into a rainbow show-you can buy the aftermarket set and make it yours but do not make it part of the game from factory-give people a choice.

#10 1 year ago

Pinball seems to be the only entertainment industry that doesn't have a dedicated talent just to handle the lighting. In movies, TV, music concerts, theatre and video games they have Lighting Directors (or something similar). It is a very specific talent.

In pinball it's all down the coder to coordinate the lighting. Not ideal by any measure. Some can do a decent job, others have no clue.

Do not underestimate the power of lighting, it adds tremendous atmosphere and immersion to any pinball experience.

Before I was making pinball games, I was playing around with 3D art and animation, and you learn a hell of a lot about lighting when setting up shots and scenes.

Very useful skill to have when making the very best pinball experiences.

JJPs lead animator should be able to help with coordinating all the lighting effects.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

My thought going forward was to have the manufactures offer expression lighting or upside down pinstadiums as an aftermarket addition.

It took me years to accept Pinstadiums and I thought they were lame and overkill. Well one day I played a friends Godzilla with new Pinstadium thin Neo style and it changed my tune. What I like about these is #1 they are thin and do not protrude too much from sides of cabinet, #2 they have a black strip that protects your eyes from the blinding glare(still a little reflection on metal ramps) but not in your face LEDS, #3 you are able to customize the look/colors to your preference, #4 they help brighten up the playfield tremendously.

Stern and others should offer these type of aftermarket lighting for their patrons. I am all for extra lighting-if done properly. I am now a spokesman for Pinstadium

#12 1 year ago

Yes I enjoy pleasure when playing a game. Take your diabeteus medicines so you are less grumpy.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Do not underestimate the power of lighting

I do enjoy talking pinball psychology. Ok so bright light definitely attracts people and patrons-I agree with that for sure. What I have a hard time agreeing with is the actual enjoyment of those bright lights shining in your face while trying to focus on the ball protectory and playfield. Color changing RGB help capture that magic well without the distraction. Sometimes less is more?

Bright lights-like a moth to a flame
    moth to a flame (resized).jpgmoth to a flame (resized).jpg

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elephanthead:

Yes I enjoy pleasure when playing a game

Pleasure gimp (resized).jpgPleasure gimp (resized).jpg
    #15 1 year ago

I want rainbows on all games, even ones without them.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Ok dude-that is badass!

Seriously-it is like a TNA homebrew EM-supercool!

-You get a hall pass for that one

(If you ever want to sell it let me know-I am jamming on those tunes )

#17 1 year ago

Wasn't sure what you meant by "rainbow lighting." Never heard that term before.

Inserts that change color for different modes - YES

All different colors for G.I. - NO

#18 1 year ago

The last code update on GZ implemented a rainbow flashing when you start beating up Mechagodzillas shield. It's not horrible.

Like someone else said, just because I can, doesn't mean you should.

#19 1 year ago

For inserts that provide information and some effects, yes please.
    For GI or "Stadium Lighting", GTFO.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

Wasn't sure what you meant by "rainbow lighting."

So what I am referring to is the strips of LEDS or the Stern expression lighting that tend to have a colorful rainbow show as they change colors. Games that have color changing RGB done properly are stunning and go with modes, etc. Now games that use them above the playfeild (shining upwards) is what I find distracting.

I do like eating skittles, just don't like playing them

Skittles (resized).jpgSkittles (resized).jpgStar Trek skittles (resized).jpgStar Trek skittles (resized).jpgTast the rainbow (resized).jpgTast the rainbow (resized).jpgTaste the rainbow (resized).jpgTaste the rainbow (resized).jpg
    #21 1 year ago

Yeah JJP LEDs are noticeable in that they point up. Sterns are in the cabinet sidewalls and point to the side. On my game I use angled aluminum channels to help direct the light at the playfield and not in the player eye

3F21D9B3-24CE-4780-B965-3F411D021F3A (resized).jpeg3F21D9B3-24CE-4780-B965-3F411D021F3A (resized).jpeg
    #22 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

not in the player eye

^^^Not in the players eye-this should be a key post

Seriously your work looks amazing and I would like to know more about your project-did you do a build thread or anything?

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Love the Hotline Miami music, could do without the lights

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

^^^Not in the players eye-this should be a key post
    Seriously your work looks amazing and I would like to know more about your project-did you do a build thread or anything?

I should write it up some day I’ve just been lazy and working on other stuff.

Quoted from Knxwledge:

Love the Hotline Miami music, could do without the lights

I think it works because it’s all about trying to overwhelm your senses in a drug like haze, like how the game has a dreamy-drug-trance. Also I wrote most of that light show on mushrooms and it was a blast.

#25 1 year ago

No!

#26 1 year ago

As mentioned, in some particular machines, it looks/works great. Rush being a great example, as it syncs with the music.

As a standard for all modern pins, no it should not be, overkill of bling when it’s not needed.

#28 1 year ago

Modern games have to have good light show period. Same thing for deep code and lots of mb. If you have a basic pin with basic lighting, shallow code, and difficult goals it flat out sucks.

#29 1 year ago

Pizza falling behind in the poll. Go pizza!

#30 1 year ago
    Pizza slut..gifPizza slut..gifPizza slut.gifPizza slut.gif
    #31 1 year ago

Doesn't add anything for me and I don't want to pay for it. Reminds me of cheap redemption games which I hate.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Doesn't add anything for me and I don't want to pay for it. Reminds me of cheap redemption games which I hate.

Agreed. JJP's hot rails in particular are annoying as its basically a rainbow shooting you in the face. For Godfather, the lighting doesn't really fit in with the theme at all... aside from the whole being shot directly in the face thing.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Compy:

Agreed. JJP's hot rails in particular are annoying as its basically a rainbow shooting you in the face. For Godfather, the lighting doesn't really fit in with the theme at all... aside from the whole being shot directly in the face thing.

Oh and colors of the flag...get it get it get it?

#34 1 year ago

While we are on the subject of complaining about bright LEDS-lets talk about the exposed ones like the ones on Halloween/Ultra. Those look tacky in my opinion and at least use an opaque plastic to diffuse them. The treads on Galatic Tank Force also need to have some kind of light diffuser or solid strip lights that change colors. It does remind me of Dave and Buster style arcade games with color changing T-molding.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

While we are on the subject of complaining about bright LEDS-lets talk about the exposed ones like the ones on Halloween/Ultra...

My main problem with them is turning them down in the menu doesn't really work; although I haven't tested new code.

#36 1 year ago

I love RGB lighting and the options they provide. I'm all in on games have full RGB control over GI and inserts, and I don't mind creative use of lighting in other ways.

I am grossed out by using it to display rainbows. Just because you can make every color appear at the same time doesn't mean you have to. That includes attract modes. I love a good attract mode, when my games are on and just chilling in the dark it's such a great vibe. This ain't what I want to see:
    ezgif-2-e2658c3155.gifezgif-2-e2658c3155.gif

#37 1 year ago

I like it on Rock music pins and the Godzilla mecha looks good like that.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This ain't what I want to see:
    [quoted image]

That's the WOZ attract mode. Looks like they just recycled the lamp code for it. It doesn't look good on Godfather.

#39 1 year ago

A letter to Steve Ritchie:

Dear Steve, you are my idol & hero and your tables are my favorites. I know you decided to join JJP and help them with an epic pinball design. I am writing you to ask that you please do not incorporate upside down rainbow lights in your machine being designed. I want to support SRP/JJP and do not want to be disappointed. If it is Elton John you can use colorful LEDS-but please make it tasteful.

Sincerely yours, Quagmire

#40 1 year ago

RGBs and the extra info and usage of inserts they allow are awesome. There's a balance in how many a game has and placing them imo, Stern of late does a great job imo. I think I'm all for rgb GI too if used well.

But JJP in particular goes overboard, to the point the inserts start to lose their usefulness and it's just blinding.

Something like TNA the heavy RGB insanity also fits, the game is made all the better for it's lightshow.

#41 1 year ago
    blinding light.gifblinding light.gif
    #42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Make sense for a pin like Toy Story, but not like a pin like Godfather. Rainbow lights are cool if implemented properly, not if they are just flashing all of the time for no reason.

100% agree.... The lighting on Toy Story 4 is fantastic, but it wouldn't work for a game like Walking Dead. More often than not... the answer is probably "no" - but when it works for the theme.. then it really works.

#43 1 year ago

The rainbow attract mode is so fucking hideous.

Just...why.....?

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

The rainbow attract mode is so fucking hideous.
    Just...why.....?

411136ce-a6d2-4e1c-8335-de2f45fec2ba_text.gif411136ce-a6d2-4e1c-8335-de2f45fec2ba_text.gif
    #45 1 year ago

Looks like a clown show.

#46 1 year ago
    Pinside_forum_7459780_2.jpgPinside_forum_7459780_2.jpgdrowning.gifdrowning.gifrainbow.gifrainbow.giftaste the rainbow...giftaste the rainbow...gif
    #47 1 year ago

I remember thinking it was innovative to add colored light bulb covers to standard bulbs. At the time I thought adding them to the mirror in Funhouse really enhanced it.

Now, I think games are just at the WTH stage. Granted, there is no accounting for taste, but some of the overbearing LED death laser beams or rainbow lighting effects on pinball machines just look flat out stupid.

Now, excuse me, there are some kids on my lawn I gotta go yell at...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-do-you-like-rainbow-lights-in-modern-pinball-games-?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.