Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by lladnip
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you prefer a new clearcoat?”

• Yes, clearcoat please! 52 votes
      88%
    • No clearcoat, just the original, please! 7 votes
      12%

(59 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6818.jpg
    inflating-2.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

If you're buying a machine, any age/make, that has/had no playfield wear or touch-ups, would you prefer that it is clearcoated or no? Assume the clearcoat is fresh, free, and "looks good".

#2 10 years ago

I have a JM that is pretty minty and I was thinking of doing this. IMO if you have a great PF and are okay taking it all apart, yes, it is worth the CC.

#3 10 years ago

On the subject - how long after the clear coat should they be played?

#4 10 years ago

If I had the money, I'd clear every pin I'd ever touched. No exceptions.

#5 10 years ago

That clear coat sure makes them shine. I would.

#6 10 years ago

Yes good auto clear locks artwork forever. I see this as a plus with any pin.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

On the subject - how long after the clear coat should they be played?

You cannot populate the playfield until the clear has completely cured. You could play it immediately after that though.

Kim
    http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

You cannot populate the playfield until the clear has completely cured. You could play it immediately after that though.
    Kim
    http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

How long does curing take? Heard various answers. 30 -45 days?

2 months later
    #9 10 years ago

Yes, why wouldn't you?

#10 10 years ago

15 days is sufficient for most automotive clears

#11 10 years ago

This is like a poll on bacon.

#12 10 years ago

Wait three weeks before putting anything back on the playfield. It takes the urethane about that to fully cure.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

or "Do you enjoy having sex?"

Yes 46votes ------- edited
    No 5votes

inflating-2.jpginflating-2.jpg

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Have you ever played a game that had too much clear on the playfield? I have. It's like playing on glass rather than plywood. The ball gets very little traction. Sure, the playfield gleams, but the game plays like ass.

Like bacon, too much of a good thing isn't always good. Add a couple of coats if you must, but don't get carried away or you could ruin your game.

#15 10 years ago

I was told by a couple folks not to clearcoat a playfield, because it makes the ball "squirly" - anyone else have this opinion?  I still don't understand why re-clearing would cause strange ball movement. As the topic was my STTNG, and it was originally clearcoated by TAG before being placed in the machine by Williams.  The clearcoat that TAG, and others like Sun Process, etc, used is essentially (I think) a similar 2 part automotive clear as is mainly used to re-clear a playfield.
    After my interweb-reading, I felt that there shouldn't be any worry to re-clearing, as long as it's done well, and cured properly, it seems to be an excellent means to preserving a playfield.
    In case you haven't seen this webpage on playfields, it has a lot of good historical information http://www.flippers.be/pinball_playfields.html .
    I was researching because I had some Neutral Zone wear on the original playfield, and wanted to repair and clear it to start fresh.  I ended up finding an NOS playfield, originally screened and cleared by SP, and then re-cleared by HSA - it's a beautiful thing - although I'm not sure the attached photo is doing it any justice.
    IMG_6818.jpgIMG_6818.jpg

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Have you ever played a game that had too much clear on the playfield? I have. It's like playing on glass rather than plywood. The ball gets very little traction. Sure, the playfield gleams, but the game plays like ass.
    Like bacon, too much of a good thing isn't always good. Add a couple of coats if you must, but don't get carried away or you could ruin your game.

Of course I hit send asking for that opinion - and it was just posted a second earlier! Why do you think the ball reacts differently after too many coats versus just the original coat?

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

Why do you think the ball reacts differently after too many coats versus just the original coat?

The clear is harder than the plywood. The more clear you put on, the harder it gets. If you can imagine playing on glass, that's kinda what it's like. Most guys like to wax too, which makes it even worse.

I was researching because I had some Neutral Zone wear on the original playfield, and wanted to repair and clear it to start fresh.

If you're doing repair or touchup (not using a sharpie), then sure, clearing is a great idea for a number of reasons. Have you asked Gary at Bobcat how many coats he typically applies? I want to say two?

#18 10 years ago

I was told by a couple folks not to clearcoat a playfield, because it makes the ball "squirly" - anyone else have this opinion?  I still don't understand why re-clearing would cause strange ball movement. As the topic was my STTNG, and it was originally clearcoated by TAG before being placed in the machine by Williams.  The clearcoat that TAG, and others like Sun Process, etc, used is essentially (I think) a similar 2 part automotive clear as is mainly used to re-clear a playfield.
    After my interweb-reading, I felt that there shouldn't be any worry to re-clearing, as long as it's done well, and cured properly, it seems to be an excellent means to preserving a playfield.
    In case you haven't seen this webpage on playfields, it has a lot of good historical information http://www.flippers.be/pinball_playfields.html .
    I was researching because I had some Neutral Zone wear on the original playfield, and wanted to repair and clear it to start fresh.  I ended up finding an NOS playfield, originally screened and cleared by SP, and then re-cleared by HSA - it's a beautiful thing - although I'm not sure the attached photo is doing it any justice.

IMG_6818.jpg 201 KB

i kinda like "squirly"- so i clear for wear res & flatness and wax for a lack of traction........

the only time i would never prefer a cleared pf- if i had a "pristine" classic game that was perfect and did not come cleared as org. then i might not prefer cleared, but i still know it would be better at the fun factor if it was cleared.

should be noted- i have never owed a prirstine game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-clearcoat-or-no and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.