Linked Games

Topic poll

“POLL —Buying A Borg - Iron Man VS Munsters Pro”

• Iron Man VE 139 votes
    86%
  • Munsters Pro 22 votes
    14%

(161 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MasterBlaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Need help deciding! Want a Borg machine and these two are the themes I like best. A bit apples and oranges considering dmd versus lcd et cetera. I have played both and love both, albeit for different reasons!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

game play over whether it’s LCD or DMD etc.
IMVE

That part (LCD vs DMD) is actually quite low on my list. Artwork has a lot of influence on my decision, so in that aspect Munsters crushes Iron Man like an aluminum can.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Iron man has short ball times and keeps you coming back for more. Very fast and fun game. I owned a Munsters pro- it does have great art and shots- but I have much more fun on Iron Man

Thanks for the info! I know that IM is the smart choice, but I’ll be darned if that Munsters doesn’t pull on my heart strings! Makes it a much more difficult decision than it should be! Ha!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Assuming you want a game that is Fun to play (not just look good) I highly doubt you’ll get many votes for Munsters in this comparison

Fun is definitely the primary factor, but these machine do sit a lot, as I usually only get to play on the weekends. So while I see them every day, I usually only get to put my hands on them Friday evening thru Sunday. I’ve noticed that the SAM games are much quicker to boot up, which isn’t a big deal but sometimes that could make a difference if I want to squeeze in a quick game sometime. That’s usually what happens when I’m deciding on Deadpool versus Spider-Man…if I’ve got 15-20 minutes while dinner is in the oven, I’ll sneak down and quick flip on Spidey because I know I can start it up in less than a minute

#8 2 years ago

A less complex rule set is also a priority. I think all day at work…the last thing I want to do is have to work out the math when I’m playing pinball. Although I think the rule sets in both of these games is relatively simple in comparison to most of their contemporaries.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

I played a bunch of iron man on location yesterday. Probably the 4th or 5th time I have played it, and I like the game more every time. Game has good coding with speed to go with it.

Sheats versus Sullivan, it’s difficult for the scales to tip any way but Sheats. Don’t get me wrong, I have a T2 and I love the Sullivan code on that one…but that was before he got really heavy into multipliers and whatnot. I’m a simpleton when it comes to what I like in a rule set.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

I played a bunch of iron man on location yesterday. Probably the 4th or 5th time I have played it, and I like the game more every time. Game has good coding with speed to go with it.

I played one yesterday also, which is pretty much how I got on this track of thinking. Agree, it was much faster than I expected! The one that I played was next to a BKSOR Pro, and I felt like Iron Man was every bit as fast. Maybe even faster, considering the shots are a little further away from the flippers.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Im not one of those Munsters haters... I actually think its fun.
But Iron Man is an all time great (unless you arent that great at pinball then it will eat your lunch).
I think its more a choice if you like easier or harder games really.

I’m not opposed to it being difficult, as it will be sitting next to a DE BATMAN which is very simple and easy to play. Most times it will be getting played by casual players or even first timers who don’t care too much about how long they’re on the machine. They’re at my place to drink adult beverages and have fun.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from blacklightprod:

If you haven't heard Rob Zombie is making a Munsters Movie RIGHT NOW!!!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14813212/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1
A major motion picture about the Munsters could bring a ton more fans to the IP.
If you ask me the artwork on Munsters is second to none, and with the new movie coming out you might buy cheap and have a real in demand pin in your household.

Oh wow I hadn’t heard that…very cool!!!

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Really starting to like where you play.
Two butt kickers side by side.
Good luck

Lol look me up if you’re ever in the heartland of ‘Merica and we will go there! We have an operator who has done a great job of circulating quality pins between a few of our local dive bars. The one I frequent currently has IM, BKSOR, Deadpool, GnR, MM and Monster bash. It’s pretty well a perfect combo for my tastes right now. Gotta enjoy it while it lasts though, as he moves them relatively frequently around town to keep the quarters flowing.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Is this a serious question?

Hahaha it doesn’t seem like it, does it?! Some of this is price-based, as I can get a IMVE in good condition for about the same price as a very gently used Munsters.

#25 2 years ago

I would love to, but unfortunately space is at a premium and in fact I’ll have to sell one of my others or put in storage to make room for this one.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I definitely agree if you get an IM get the VE edition. I have owned both the original and the VE and I definitely like the VE better.
I would say you are comparing a difficult, fast paced game (IM) to a more approachable, one for the beginner/ average player in Munsters.
ImVe is a great game and right now you can pick up a pretty loaded, mod wise game, for somewhere in the 5 K region. IM has been around for a while and does not have the demand it did a few years back. Great speed, sounds, callouts that got even better with the code update that came out recently. I can not find a fault in the game. Some might, because it does not have the depth of the more modern sterns (see Elvira 3) but it is a great game.
I have a Prem Munsters that I really enjoy. It is a fun game where you have a big risk reward component (see Mustang) in delaying Jackpots. I love the left ramp for Raven and the Spot shots. When you get the game going it is a lot of fun. It is also the kind of game my wife is attracted to as well as non pin friends who like the occasional game. As far as code, I believe it has plenty of code for the average player. A really good player may not like the game unless they like the jack pot risk reward component. Munsters was a buy a little while ago. It is starting to get more popular. If the code gets updated next year, per rumor, it could get to be a much in demand game.
So I would make my decision as such, if you are (or friends are) a better player, who likes difficult/fast paced action, I would go IMVE. If you are buying the game for the family and like a fun game that has a really cool Jack pot strategy, I would go Munsters.

Excellent info, thank you!

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I definitely agree if you get an IM get the VE edition. I have owned both the original and the VE and I definitely like the VE better.
I would say you are comparing a difficult, fast paced game (IM) to a more approachable, one for the beginner/ average player in Munsters.
ImVe is a great game and right now you can pick up a pretty loaded, mod wise game, for somewhere in the 5 K region. IM has been around for a while and does not have the demand it did a few years back. Great speed, sounds, callouts that got even better with the code update that came out recently. I can not find a fault in the game. Some might, because it does not have the depth of the more modern sterns (see Elvira 3) but it is a great game.
I have a Prem Munsters that I really enjoy. It is a fun game where you have a big risk reward component (see Mustang) in delaying Jackpots. I love the left ramp for Raven and the Spot shots. When you get the game going it is a lot of fun. It is also the kind of game my wife is attracted to as well as non pin friends who like the occasional game. As far as code, I believe it has plenty of code for the average player. A really good player may not like the game unless they like the jack pot risk reward component. Munsters was a buy a little while ago. It is starting to get more popular. If the code gets updated next year, per rumor, it could get to be a much in demand game.
So I would make my decision as such, if you are (or friends are) a better player, who likes difficult/fast paced action, I would go IMVE. If you are buying the game for the family and like a fun game that has a really cool Jack pot strategy, I would go Munsters.

So I went and looked at the IM and as it turns out, it is NOT the VE. It’s the original model. I hadn’t really paid attention to the t-molding on the back box and the photos of the exterior weren’t all that great. I should’ve known, when the t-molding was black and not red.
So does that tip the scales, if it’s not a VE?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you did Munsters vs Thunderbirds, this would be a much harder decision

Hahaha is that because both of those titles are so good?

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I think you should buy a STTNG so you can BATTLE the BORG.

Lol I was actually thinking about THE BORG when I was coming up with a title for the post. Maybe I should save my money and buy an actual Borg

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Someone said Munsters was good for casual players, but Iron Man is as well. Easy to explain hit drones, hit Iron Man targets hit spinners all progress you to something that makes sense for a novice player.
It’s not like AIQ where I pick a mode and couldn’t even figure how to get the mode shots to activate (need to hit the spinning target to start the mode).

Amen on the AIQ confusion but the mechs and layout make up for all that. Played it for the first time last night and it’s pretty awesome.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

IM is a vastly superior pin. I have owned several. There is no comparison in quality of gameplay, fun factor and replayability vs Munsters. They are not even in the same universe. IM is the best short ball time modern pin ever. Munsters is considered a snoozer and a flop by most.
The differences between IM original and VE are purely cosmetic. VE has metallic cabinet decals, newer head style, red led display, led lighting and an LED bulb in mongers chest. Expect to pay about $400-$500 more for the VE. Either version is fine. LEDs can be easily added to the original version. The Pinball Refinery versions are sublime.

This will seem crazy but the main reason I would want the VE is so the Monger chest lights up.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

IMVE > IM >> Munsters Pro
To me it is that simple. I had a Munsters Pro on loan here for a couple of months and it is simply not fun to me despite loving the theme from my childhood. There are a lot of nice updates on the IMVE. I am kind of in the market for an IM after selling my IMVE a couple years back and later regretting it. From my point of view, unless you already own an original IM, the IMVE is the only way to go. The LEDs are very tastefully done, and the metallic side art is amazing compared to the old newspaper dots from the older Sterns. I also really like the metal head with the display and speakers tilted back towards the player. That makes the sound and dots look better and reduces the glare on the playfield glass from the display. Not to mention, most VEs are nearly new and pristine where a lot of the original IM have thousands of plays and a decade dings and dents externally.

Also to my count, more shots on IM. Good point about the wear & tear on the cabinet when considering original versus VE. Thanks for the input!

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Munsters will forever...forever...FOREVER... be a "Why????" title to me. I have played it, and while the game itself really is fun, the theme seems like a "well, we couldn't afford Addams Family...so ...".
Iron Man by a cosmic mile. If you have the know how to add amplifiers for the game, holy smokes, it is a killer game.

It seems like with Munsters, the depth of content just isn’t there. Like they found clips that they really liked and just stuck with the same ones over and over for all of the modes and whatnot. I’m a huge fan of the show and I don’t remember many of the scenes that they show during the game. Who knows, maybe they had limited use of the content or something but it just feels empty compared to the amount of content that should have been available.

#52 2 years ago

Uh oh…121 votes in…Munsters has crept up to 12%! Ha!

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:All 15 votes for Munsters means is there are still 15 people that were not able to sell their game.

Hahahahaha trying to reel me in, to buy THEIR game.

#56 2 years ago

I never could get past the YUGE Wolverine in middle of that game. It’s like my eyes were constantly drawn to it and I couldn’t focus on anything else. Sort of like a really nice pair of…
sneakers.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I guess end of day I'd stop asking people for their opinion on what I should like and decide for myself.

Always interesting to see the varied opinions out there. I have seen a few people say “on IM the Monger gets in the way a lot” which would probably be more annoying to me than a repetitive callout. I’ve got a bad habit of making bad decisions, so you never know…there just might be a Munsters Pro on its way to me soon.
Then again…I played AIQ for the very first time a couple of days ago, and oh my stars…that game is the real deal.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Changed two of my settings:
1. Only the middle spinner raises him, so you have more control of when to bring him up.
2. Second time you have to spell i-r-o-n-m-o-n-g-e-r, which keeps him down longer.

Ok this is good to know. It was sounding like there wasn’t a way to make it more difficult/keep monger out of the playfield for longer. Not that it’s bad when he does make an appearance, but if you can adjust the settings to limit frequency of his appearances to some degree then I think it would be better. Thank you!

1 week later
#67 2 years ago

I’m not re-polling the poll or changing the title, but here’s the latest update…
Munsters has dropped off the radar, it’s now between IM and AIQ pro.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Iron man has been here for 6 or so years aiqle left after 6 months… I’ll let you decide on the winner. But I know which one I chose.
Aiq just left me feeling flat and that I had to shoot shots that weren’t worth much so I could make my modes worth more by adding portal locks. Aiq just really lacked a soul gem for me. My last game on it became the GC at 1.15b but it was kind of joyless game. I’m probably in the minority but I swapped it for a JP2 premium and cash

This is good info! Much appreciated! I’ve only played AIQ a handful of times and really liked it, but I certainly like to hear from people who have lots of plays on both machines

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MasterBlaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-buying-a-borg-iron-man-vs-munsters-pro?tu=MasterBlaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.