12%
  • Twilight Zone 26 votes
    18%
  • Wheel of Fortune 17 votes
    11%
  • Whirlwind 15 votes
    10%

(148 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I did my best to include the 9 most-discussed skill shots from the following thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-skill-shot

"The Best" skill shots have some or all of the following three important elements:

1) Risk/Reward: Is there risk that balances the reward of the shot, (or is Risk/Reward imbalanced, like in Diner or Cyclone, and it's pure upside, and "point padding")
2) Strategy/Options: You can full plunge or soft plunge
3) Difficulty: Is it a "gimme" once you memorize the spot, or is there some aspect of the game (strong spring, or other) that puts some variance in whether you hit the "Sweet spot" every time or not to keep it challenging

Please cast your vote in both the Group A and Group B polls. When both polls reach 200 votes, or 10 days of life, I'll note the top 5 from each category, and put the top-9 with the most votes together in a final best-of-best-of poll.

Group B can be found here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-best-skill-shot-ever2

I will head off Group A and Group B on or before Aug 3, assuming we can get the votes cranked up in Group B quickly.

Have fun!

(Keep in mind, it's just an Internet poll... Usually, "familiarity -- (I've played it!!!) " trumps "truly measuring any subjective quality" in these polls. Regardless, the goal is to educate collectors to "consider" playing/owning other pin titles they may not have previously considered based off certain aspects of a machine, in this case -- looking for the best "skill shot". For example, you may have never considered playing a RBION, but if you are a skill shot-lover, you may now look for one at your next expo, and see what makes that skill shot interesting to many.)

-mof

#2 7 years ago

reserved
=)
-mof

#3 7 years ago

whodunnit?

poll=fail

#4 7 years ago

Fireball easily out of this list. Worth a ton of points and not easy to get.

#5 7 years ago

Whirlwind is good, but I never shoot for it. I always shoot it to go around the orbit. Fireball (and I think 4MBC) has a great skill shot.

CFTBL has a cool selection of skill shots.

#7 7 years ago

I would have to say the one in "Pinball Magic" is pretty tough to beat. That gets my vote!

#8 7 years ago

Keep those votes comin'!
-mof

#9 7 years ago

Another vote for fireball. Whirlwind skillshot is actually dangerous, even if you succeed.

#10 7 years ago

Not sure about "best" but, taf and tz seem to be the most fun. Lawlor was on the something.

#11 7 years ago

I'm going with Fireball on this list. Also worthy of mention is Twister with plunging the ball to land on the magnet of the spinning disc.

One other thing to note is that on flipper less games, every plunge was a skill shot. So those would have more importance in a game than all the ones mentioned here.

#12 7 years ago

TZ is really cool

#13 7 years ago

Demo man....just to hear Stallone saying it.

#14 7 years ago

I know it's not on the list but I have to say woz has the best skill shots with different difficulties

#15 7 years ago

Tommy has the most difficult.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Tommy has the most difficult.

Tommy skill shot is cool. I would have added it to the Poll.
(but Fireball is still my favorite ! )

#17 7 years ago

The Avengers hold left flipper in plunge pinball all the way around left side of playfield and nail the Black Widow Ramp . Love it luv it luv It !!

#18 7 years ago

I still vote for Pinbot. The most viscerally satisfying.

#19 7 years ago

My scores on TZ went up once I started ignoring the skill shot and always went for full plunge. Generally don't like them on most Lawlor games, except TAF.

#20 7 years ago

Fireball was ahead of it's time, with those zipper flippers. Yeah the skill shot on that game is cool.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

I would have to say the one in "Pinball Magic" is pretty tough to beat. That gets my vote!

+1, even if its easy when you "get it" (while onwing the pin home in my case)

#22 7 years ago

The Outbreak. See custom pinball thread. You shoot a rotating shotgun into a zombie head. Looks very cool.

#23 7 years ago

Neither. It's Taxi.

Besides. I dislike, when a game takes a missed skill shot ball back to the plunger for a new attempt.

#24 7 years ago

How is Whodunnit not on the list?

Two options, plunge to hit one of he TAXI standups (each one represents a reward) or soft plunge to hit the ball lock, which isn't easy and is very lucrative.

#25 7 years ago

Time your shot ... light Gorgons.

I vote Medusa. Seriously difficult to get all 5 Gorgons. That one skill shot sets the main spinner's scoring potential for the entire ball. I don't think any other skill shot has such an impact. Most I know just provide a single reward.

#26 7 years ago

Taxi is good, but I would have to put Pinbot above it. The multiplier points there can make or break your game, and it fufills all three options the OP mentioned. You might even nail the shot with a well assisted nudge to prevent the ball from rolling back down the vortex. Not necessarily a gimme on finding the sweet spot of the plunge.

I find Maverick to be a good contender, because so much rides on the skillshots: Amount of multiballs, mini-games, super pops, and points. It can really be a game changer.

#27 7 years ago

I think the skill shot on Metallica is amazing. It actually requires skill to get the big reward. I think Bowen discussed this one in his tutorial?? I certainly didn't figure it out on my own!

If you hold the left flipper while plunging, a skill shot is awarded by hitting any of the major shots. However, if you hit the shot that is flashing (randomly assigned after plunge), you lock in the inserts and get a playfield bonus.

It's very hard to accomplish. It takes all of your attention, and pulling it off is very satisfying.

#28 7 years ago

Fireball for me. Addams Family is my number two pick.

So many things are borrowed or reused on different pins. Any pins out there with a similar skill shot to Fireball?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Kolchak357:

Any pins out there with a similar skill shot to Fireball?

Fireball Classic. It is even harder as there is a smaller window of opportunity.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fireball Classic. It is even harder as there is a smaller window of opportunity.

Best avatar ever o-din, too bad it will only last a few hours.
=)
-mof

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Best Avatar ever o-din, too bad it will only last a few hours.

Maybe longer. I don't watch much TV anymore, but I am addicted to Perry Mason. I try to watch it every night at 11:30. Way better than any of those other late night shows that are now on. What a great show!

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe longer. I don't watch much TV anymore, but I am addicted to Perry Mason. I try to watch it every night at 11:30. Way better than any of those other late night shows that are now on. What a great show!

No doubt. It's one of the best ever. My GF pointed out -- it has nearly the same plot every time, and. it. doesn't. matter. A lady wants to divorce her rich husband.
-mof

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

A lady wants to divorce her rich husband.

And ends up dead....

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I still vote for Pinbot. The most viscerally satisfying.

Agreed. 10X vortex skill shot is awesome.

#35 7 years ago

Pinball magic hat shot is awesome.

#36 7 years ago

I agree with others, the skill shot on Pinbot is better than any listed in the poll.

#37 7 years ago

I am listening.
I am convinced to run a second poll.

Keep those ideas coming. Be sure and reference the original thread for ideas:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-skill-shot

We'll then square off the winners of both polls (best 9 of 18) in a final poll of (9).

Please don't post just any "easy + fun" skill shot you can think of, we want to meet some challenging criteria:

1) challenging shot (can't nail it every time)
2) options/strategy so that it's not just "get the max points" (sometimes you go for A, sometimes you go for B)
3) (hopefully some risk involved), the best Skill Shots can drain you if you fail, when you go for max points.

In my book, if those 3 criteria are met it's automatically FUN.
If it's easy, it can go take a hike...

-mof

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

3) (hopefully some risk involved), the best Skill Shots can drain you if you fail, when you go for max points.

There's no risk involved in Fireball or WOF, but the amount of points can have a huge impact on the outcome.
Games like Congo on your list, are a great skill shots...but you miss Congo and so what? Points aren't that big, no risk involved. On the flip side, Whirlwind has no ball save there's no point in even going for it for the amount of points you get. Tough to balance.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whirlwind has no ball save there's no point in even going for it for the amount of points you get. Tough to balance.

I typically go for it until my final ball. I don't drain *that* often on it, but knowing it's possible sure keeps me on my toes.
-mof

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I typically go for it until my final ball. I don't drain *that* often on it, but knowing it's possible sure keeps me on my toes.
-mof

I'd say RBION is a harder skill shot but very similar.

#41 7 years ago

The skill shot on Shadow after you lock a ball can be extremely risky. No ball save this time. Depending on what comes up on the screen determines if I really want to take that shot. Sometimes there is more to be gained elsewhere.

#42 7 years ago

Crappy poll

My vote goes to Teachers Pet

#43 7 years ago

Keep those votes comin'...
-mof

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

I know it's not on the list but I have to say woz has the best skill shots with different difficulties

Some of those should be considered *super* skill shots. The lowest scoring one would be the regular skill shot.

Quoted from RobKnapp:

The Avengers hold left flipper in plunge pinball all the way around left side of playfield and nail the Black Widow Ramp . Love it luv it luv It !!

That's a super skill shot. Regular skill shot is the lit lane above the pops.

Quoted from MapleSyrup:

If you hold the left flipper while plunging, a skill shot is awarded by hitting any of the major shots.

That's also a super skill shot.

Poll needs to include super skill shots. FGY regular skill shot shouldn't even be on there. Too easy and boring. OTOH, the super skill shot is one of the best ever. A two parter, like WOF, but you only get a (left) mini flipper way up the playfield for part two. Wicked hard, but very satisfying when you do make it.

#45 7 years ago

Best skill shot EVER ......LORD OF THE RINGS ........No other pinball has a 3 option skill shot and all are hard and fun

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

Best skill shot EVER ......Lord of the Rings ........No other pinball has a 3 option skill shot and all are hard and fun

You sure about that?

#47 7 years ago

I disagree because of the fact that you can sit for hours if you like trying this over and over again.

Quoted from mof:

I am listening.
I am convinced to run a second poll.
Keep those ideas coming. Be sure and reference the original thread for ideas:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-skill-shot
We'll then square off the winners of both polls (best 9 of 18) in a final poll of (9).
Please don't post just any "easy + fun" skill shot you can think of, we want to meet some challenging criteria:
1) challenging shot (can't nail it every time)
2) options/strategy so that it's not just "get the max points" (sometimes you go for A, sometimes you go for B)
If it's easy, it can go take a hike...
-mof

A skill shot should never drain to end-of-ball. The worse consequence when you go for it and fail should be wasted ball saver time.

The best skill shots only give you one plunge. If you fail the ball is served for play without any award payed.

#48 7 years ago

Star Trek Warp Ramp - 2 ways to do it.

#49 7 years ago

@soren and pinball magic : false !

as when ball is gone for the first try, switch in the shooter lane detect it, and you have only few seconds to get it (with points)

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

You sure about that?

I might be wrong ....which other has 3 option skill shot ?

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside