(Topic ID: 120604)

Poll: Ball one was terrible - do you hit reset?

By n1teowl

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Ball one was terrible - do you hit reset?”

• Mash that start button as soon as possible - no guilt involed 56 votes
      23%
    • Push the start button on the down low, and feel bad about it 13 votes
      5%
    • Suck it up and make the best of it 100 votes
      41%
    • Take it as a challenge and work twice as hard to beat your high score 76 votes
      31%

(245 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

middle finger censored.jpg
    Mirror-Image.jpg
    There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

So your first ball was really bad, do you suck it up and try and make up for your initial weak play, or do you hit the start button and get a do-over?

#2 9 years ago

Every ball plunged has the potential to be your best ball ever.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

Yup. How many games have you had with an awesome ball one and a crap ball two? You never know, could be the opposite this time.

#4 9 years ago

Only on Pinball Arcade do I do this.....but not actual pinball....

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yup. How many games have you had with an awesome ball one and a crap ball two? You never know, could be the opposite this time.

Yes. But if you're trying to get a good score - having 3 shots at it is obviously much better on average than just 2.

#6 9 years ago

Every single time. Life's to short to waste making up for a crap 1st ball.

#7 9 years ago

play it like you stole it

#8 9 years ago

Never. If you're going to throw the game away anyway then just treat the next couple of balls as practice. And you never know. Last night I got 584 points on my first ball on WOZ. Second ball 1250. Third ball 489,000.

#9 9 years ago

It only takes one ball

#10 9 years ago

Restart every time!

#11 9 years ago

Not if you're on location!!

#12 9 years ago

Depends on my level of frustration. I hate restarting but sometimes I've got limited time and I've had a few bad games and I just want one decent game before I turn off the machine. I really try not to though. No restarts in tournaments.

#13 9 years ago

Never. But when I have the glass off cleaning the pf I have been known to start a game and keep a ball from draining.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

I've had this discussion before...but here we go again.

Yes, every ball plunged has the potential to be your best ball ever. So?

If you pushed the start button to restart your game after ball 1 because it was crappy, and that next ball plunged was going to be your best ball ever....guess what? Instead of being your best ball ever being on ball 2, it will be your best ball ever on ball 1!

So it's not really a reason to not start a game over.

#16 9 years ago

nah, i don't push the start button after a bad 1st ball...

first i rage tilt, THEN i push the start button...

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

If you pushed the start button to restart your game after ball 1 because it was crappy, and that next ball plunged was going to be your best ball ever....guess what? Instead of being your best ball ever being on ball 2, it will be your best ball ever on ball 1!

But how do you know that the act of restarting the game didn't somehow change the trajectory of your next ball, thereby causing an alternate reality in which your next ball is also terrible?

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

How many games have you had with an awesome ball one and a crap ball two?

None. I never get shit with ball 1.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Well, can't argue the logic on that one. I'm doing an internet first. I am publicly changing my stance on this point in the face of unassailable logic.
    I am always going to restart after a crappy first ball. Sh1t, that 480,000 point ball 3 on WOZ could have been ball one!
    Mind you, Murphy's law would probably dictate that my next two balls would be crap. Flip on brothers!

#20 9 years ago

Although, surely there is some nobility in the claw-back from the brink scenario.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Although, surely there is some nobility in the claw-back from the brink scenario.

Absolutely.

I don't always start over if I have a crappy first ball. It just depends. Sometimes I want to play like I'm in a tournament. No do overs there! So you have to fight back the best that you can.

Starting over after a crappy first ball can lead to playing lazy, because you tell yourself "if I have a crappy first ball, I'll just start over".

#22 9 years ago

Never! The Mrs. always wants to but it's forbidden. ; ).

#23 9 years ago

People actually do this? Weak...

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Pinball is a game of skill. Restarting the game requires no skill... So what's the point of playing if you're just going to cheat?

Not saying YOU are a cheater in general, but why cheat yourself?

#25 9 years ago

the thought has never even crossed my mind. You can't give up...keep fighting, man!

#26 9 years ago

Never......I've GC'd games on 1 ball before (essentially). Hell my favorite game at the moment is IM......all you need is one good one!

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

Pinball is a game of skill. Restarting the game requires no skill... So what's the point of playing if you're just going to cheat?

Would you still call it cheating to plunge balls 2 & 3 and not hit them? Or use them to practice nudging and flipper techniques without going for a good score?

#28 9 years ago

It depends. If I'm playing for a high score or working on technique, I almost never restart the game. If I'm trying to complete a wizard mode, I will restart if it's a horrible first ball. For me, I feel there is more of a specific game plan or strategy when completing a wizard mode that typically requires three solid balls(and usually an extra ball won as well) and a planned set of shots. Whereas a high score can only take one super ball. I certainly understand this can be argued that this isn't necessarily true but who says you have to make sense when it's your hobby.

#29 9 years ago

Honestly I didn't even know that restarting in the middle of a game was even an option. I only got my game a couple of weeks ago, so before I had only ever played on location. Learn something new every day.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from n1teowl:

But how do you know that the act of restarting the game didn't somehow change the trajectory of your next ball, thereby causing an alternate reality in which your next ball is also terrible?

EXACTLY......I think.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Would you still call it cheating to plunge balls 2 & 3 and not hit them?

Nope, that's quitting.

Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Or use them to practice nudging and flipper techniques without going for a good score?

And that's practicing.

#32 9 years ago

I used to restart the game quite often if my first ball sucked. I have since disabled the feature on all my games. It has forced me to concentrate as hard as I can on every ball that I play, and I feel it has made me a better player in the long run.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Honestly I didn't even know that restarting in the middle of a game was even an option. I only got my game a couple of weeks ago, so before I had only ever played on location. Learn something new every day.

On modern games, you usually have to hold the start button for like 2 seconds. There is a setting to turn it on/off.

#34 9 years ago

I'll admit it.... 2 out 3 games on my BSD are probably restarts. TaF isn't far behind.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

I understand what you are saying, but that has nothing to do with the point about "the next ball plunged could be your best ball ever" as being a valid argument to not start a game over.

#36 9 years ago

realistically...

it is YOUR machine in YOUR house... do what you want... you don't need the approval of the community to do so...

as noted in a previous post... if i have a truly bad first ball, and it's because the damn machine decided to send the ball sdtm without scoring any points (or minimal number), i've been known to rage tilt it because the machine deserves to be punished for being unfair to me...

#37 9 years ago

This is one of the reasons I don't run on Free Play and make myself coin up every time. Kiddo used to hit the start button in the middle of my games...and it was too easy for me to as well when I had a bad ball. Now I play the full game every time. Plus I get to put quarters in just like the good ol' days.

#38 9 years ago

Never restart, and that is the setting on all my games if it is there. (even on Location)
    Plus, I love watching people try to restart on my games, and it doesn't let them. Ha Ha!
    Play your game, Sissy!

#39 9 years ago

I can't tell you how many times my third ball was the monster ball - it even earns me an extra ball which helps me build on my score. I never hit restart.

My wife, on the other hand, has played more first balls than I have complete games...

#40 9 years ago

I have a mate that would reset my pins if he had a bad first ball.. I said to him,would you do that when you are paying $2 a game on site or in a comp game? He has stopped doing it now.

#41 9 years ago

If playing alone I always start two games. If both first balls are terrible, I restart the machine. That cuts down the number of hard restarts and lets me know if today is not my day. If playing with others I definitely don't restart as to never interrupt for something petty and make up for the balls that I'll be putting on the expo.............

#42 9 years ago

LOL, pussy's reset games. Play better!

#43 9 years ago

I take a picture of the score and send it to my kid, with the caption 'worst ball ever.'

#44 9 years ago

If I'm feeling it I keep going, if not I work on flippers or other techniques, if I don't feel like doing that I turn it off and make a sandwich.

#45 9 years ago

Oddly, I'm sort of backwards...

On location, I'll restart. I always figure that my time to play on location is limited, and I would rather spend an extra $0.50 or even $1.00 to play a decent game on location and get further in what I'm doing instead of sit there and spend time trying to salvage a horrible game. I always feel like I'm on a clock at locations.

At home, I never restart. I figure I am playing the way I would have to in a tournament, and I'll set myself little goals after ball 1 and 2 to try to maximize my points. To me, it's a great way to play

#46 9 years ago

If you ever play competitively at all, even dollar games with friends, this is a bad habit to get into. Kind of like mulligans in golf. Your score isn't real if you only play out games with a great ball one.

#47 9 years ago

More of you people should play Iron Man for a bit and then return to this thread.

#48 9 years ago

Pinball is a game, games have rules. If you just reset that's a puss move in my eyes. Oh can I have a four strikes , how about twelve mulligans , 5 downs etc... Pathetic that this is even argued about

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from CosmosBandit:

If playing alone I always start two games. If both first balls are terrible, I restart the machine. That cuts down the number of hard restarts and lets me know if today is not my day.

I see you have a Stern Star Trek. There is no need to do a hard reset on a modern game. Once the first ball has ended, just hold down the start button. Unless the feature has been disabled in the menu, it will restart the game.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I see you have a Stern Star Trek. There is no need to do a hard reset on a modern game. Once the first ball has ended, just hold down the start button. Unless the feature has been disabled in the menu, it will restart the game.

Sweet. Good to know. Life is too short to waste on bad balls.....

COS

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-ball-one-was-terrible-do-you-hit-reset/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.