New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 51623)

Poll: are you retired?

By swampfire

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pin-it
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you retired?”

• Yes 22 votes
      11%
    • No 166 votes
      79%
    • Sort of (explain below) 21 votes
      10%

(209 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I don't run into many retired pinballers, so I wonder what the percentage is on Pinside. I would love to hear what changed, if anything, after you left work for the last time. Did you slim down your collection? Spend a year working on pin projects you could never finish on the weekends? Do you have a rule for what time you can have your first beer?

#2 7 years ago

Retired guys watching the news right now?

#3 7 years ago

You can't retire from the home building industry.

#4 7 years ago

Im going with sort of, Im hiring 2 guys to do all my work this summer so I dont have to leave my pincave very often or sweat my butt off on a 40ft ladder getting cooked in the sun.

#5 7 years ago

I thought you said 'retarded' how do I un-poll?

#6 7 years ago

No, I'm on the work until I die plan.

Unless I win the lottery, then I'm out of here.

LTG : )

#7 7 years ago

Left real day job after 35 years and now am semi-retired - I'm 56.

Pluses:

It's nice to not have to be at work at 8 am and take orders from a boss. Still spend about 8 months out of the year owning/operating a seasonal business. Don't have to worry about setting the alarm clock unless you have something special to do. You feel like you're a teenager (not your body) with all kinds of extra time on your hands. You actually start "living" again. Travel more. Run errands when everyone is working - no crowds - and eat at nice restaurants for lunch thus saving money. Take advantage of senior discounts.

More time to look for games and find games. You can drive right over there to get a game and not have to wait anymore to get off work. More time to work on your own games and games you want to sell. My collection is constant at 13 but I usually have anywhere from 15 - 22 pins around. There's been more since I retired.

Minuses:

You're getting old as dirt. You're body just doesn't work like it used to. Aches and pains increase with age. I still move em's by myself all the time so for right now I can still stay in the hobby. I'm hoping to stay in it until 70 anyway but we'll see.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No, I'm on the work until I die plan.

Unless I win the lottery, then I'm out of here.

Yep, I took the question as: How many of us are 92 year old?

I know, not funny. It's not funny to me either. I don't even play the lottery so I guess I'm in waiting for 92 to come.

#9 7 years ago

Not yet, but with as little structure as I have on my life, I might as well be. Been doing what I do for 23 years now and on my own since 1994. Since I got back into pins in late 2011, I have put a lot of time into the hobby.

Dan

#10 7 years ago

No just tired. Long day at work.

#11 7 years ago

i'm real tired. does that count?

#12 7 years ago

I'm planning to retire in 8 years, when my son is out of college. I'm toying with the idea of a burrito/beer/pinball joint, and I've stopped selling pins for that reason. I think of them as dormant capital equipment.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Geremy13:

I know, not funny. It's not funny to me either.

I thought it was funny.

Growing old is a privilege.

Denied to many.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I've stopped selling pins for that reason. I think of them as dormant capital equipment.

Does that work with hookers ?

#15 7 years ago

I like my work. When I'm able to retire, I'll probably keep working part time until my health won't allow it.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I like my work.

You sir are a lucky man! I like the people I work with, but there's an annoying noise in the ceiling of my office that won't go away. I'm not sure I can take 8 more years of that...

#17 7 years ago

Just retired from the Army and my AC/DC was my gift to myself. I'll find another job eventually, but for now, I am SO retired and playing each day.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Do you have a rule for what time you can have your first beer?

You can't be serious. There are no rules when it comes to drinking beer.

#19 7 years ago

I looked at my "retirement account" the other day at work and freaked out. It was only good for the first 3 of 10 years I worked there because they decided they didn't want to pay people to retire and did away with the program. So it's sitting at less than $7K, doesn't really get any interest or any additional funding, and I've got to wait 22 more years to get it out without a penalty. By then it may be enough to fill up the car. Ugh.

I'd love to have a burrito/pinball joint or little restaurant of some sort also, but I like my corporate paid holidays, PTO, and nights/weekends off too much at this point.

#20 7 years ago

I'm sort of retired. I'm on permanent disability due to non-hodgkins lymphoma. Had a tumor on my spine that paralyzed me. Treatment allowed me to walk again, but radiation left a lot of scar tissue and messed some other things up too. The good news is that in July, chemotherapy will finally be over for the first time since September of 2010. I have really been enjoying my early retirement (with family, friends and pinball). It's been a blessing in disguise: Otherwise, I would be like Lloyd and doing the work 'til I die plan. That's not good unless you're doing something you like. Most people on this site have figured out that work isn't everything.

#21 7 years ago

I am 57 and been retired for seven years. I keep busy so I don't mind.

#22 7 years ago

34 years old, but wish I could be retired. More time to play pinball

#23 7 years ago

I'm 45 and fulfilled my 20 years of service commitment three years ago. So everyday that I goto to work I'm like a senior in high school knowing that I can make any given day my last, however at 45 what would I do sitting home all day long with the wife. Yes pinball is fun a great and we can devote a lot of time to them but we do need variety in life and something as simple as going to work is actually part of having a social life for us men, unlike the ladies that can make a social life out of anything. So I think maybe in 2 more years I'll hang up my belt and retire for good knowing that retire means just that and not having to get another job...ever!

#24 7 years ago

Retired after 40 yrs, took part-time job at local sporting goods specialty store the next day. Work 20+ hrs per week with freedom to come and go (vacations, etc) as I please. Spending money + social interaction = stress free employment.

#25 7 years ago

I am 55 but can't imagine retiring until age 70.

#26 7 years ago

My question would be how one would be retired and still afford this hobby??? I always assumed when I seen "FS-My Collection of ...... machines" that the seller was retiring

#27 7 years ago

Studies show that people who work longer, live longer. I definitely won't stay at home once I quit the rat race. But I have some friends in their mid-50s who took early retirement, and they all LOVE their new "jobs". One is running an outdoor adventure center (rafting, climbing). Another makes fine furniture. These are guys who were stuck behind a desk 9-5, like me.

Once money is no longer the main goal, you have a lot more options.

#28 7 years ago

As soon as the old heart stops beating, only then I'll retire.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

My question would be how one would be retired and still afford this hobby??? I always assumed when I seen "FS-My Collection of ...... machines" that the seller was retiring

I've maxed out my 401-k for 25 years. My house is paid off. I used to dream of moving to a small house near the ocean in Charleston. Now I dream of staying here and just visiting the beach.

#30 7 years ago

My wife says I've been retired since birth!

#31 7 years ago

I'm 29 and wish I was retired lol.

No, but seriously, I would like to get out of the 9 to 5 office grind and restructure my life a bit more. I've been beefing up the pin collection lately since the money is good and I'm comfortable, but now that the collection is where I like it and all, my focus will be saving money up and spending less to try to either start my own business or sorts or, at least, go back into a more freelance/contractual type work cycle at some point.

There's lots of perks to corporate life in general: PTO, comfortable salary, cheap health insurance, etc., but the mental/physical toll of sitting in an office staring at a computer screen surrounded by (a lot of) Peter principle types day in and day out is tough on the psyche.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

mental/physical toll of sitting in an office staring at a computer screen surrounded by (a lot of) Peter principle types day in and day out is tough on the psyche.

ain't that the truth! I'm dealing with it now trying to work my way toward my own business. My dream is to be at the point where I love what I do so work isn't work. We'll see how that goes

#33 7 years ago

I'm 21 which means I'm far away from retirement.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'm 21 which means I'm far away from retirement.

Enjoy your good health, and don't drink like I did when I was 21.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

don't drink like I did when I was 21.

Not a binge drinker, but drink occasionally.

#36 7 years ago

Retired a couple of years ago at 49.

Now it's pinball, pinball and more pinball!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

There's lots of perks to corporate life in general: PTO, comfortable salary, cheap health insurance, etc., but the mental/physical toll of sitting in an office staring at a computer screen surrounded by (a lot of) Peter principle types day in and day out is tough on the psyche.

Your still young have have time to save yourself before the machine grinds you to a fine pulp. Do it.

#38 7 years ago

I changed careers last year at 40, so I am pretty much starting over. I don't see retirement in my future. That said, I mostly enjoy my job, and I can afford to buy toys once in a while, so it is not too bad overall. My previous career didn't pay enough to do much more than pay the bills, so this is way more relaxing for me. The thought of another 30 years of working just to barely get by was really starting to wear me down. I started working at 15 and decided to go back to school at 35. 20 years of never seeing the fruits of your labor was more than enough. I am so much more relaxed now not having to worry about paying bills, that this feels almost like retirement.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I changed careers last year at 40, so I am pretty much starting over. I don't see retirement in my future. That said, I mostly enjoy my job, and I can afford to buy toys once in a while, so it is not too bad overall. My previous career didn't pay enough to do much more than pay the bills, so this is way more relaxing for me. The thought of another 30 years of working just to barely get by was really starting to wear me down. I started working at 15 and decided to go back to school at 35. 20 years of never seeing the fruits of your labor was more than enough. I am so much more relaxed now not having to worry about paying bills, that this feels almost like retirement.

Good for you. You can't be afraid to re-invent yourself; I did the same about 12 years ago and will likely do it again in the future. Keep things fresh and your enthusiasm high.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

There are no rules when it comes to drinking beer.

Don't spill? Finish it? I hate walking around picking up half full cans/bottles. That's my only rule. Drink the beer.

1 week later
    #41 7 years ago

This is a Great Post.... and one I truly enjoy reading. It is great to read everyone's story and how some have made it to retirement after a short period and how some have to work forever...

Pinside is truly great.

#42 7 years ago

Not retired. Just plain tired.

#43 7 years ago

If I can stay employed at my current salary, I should be able to pack it in about a dozen or so years from now. That is a very big "if" of course.

#44 7 years ago

Retired at 47 - livin' the dream

Scott

#45 7 years ago

I will be medically retired in a week. Kind of the equivalent of an old horse being put out to pasture. 'Cept MY pasture has soldering irons, Novus, mini bulbs and pinballs

#46 7 years ago

I'll retire in 30+ years.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Retired at 47 - livin' the dream

How did you pull that off, Scott?

#48 7 years ago

Retirement official today. 58, one kid that graduated college this year with zero debt.

Every day is a Saturday.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Every day is a Saturday

Congrats!! I can't wait for the day I can say that.

#50 7 years ago

I wish. I once saw a guy who won like 45 million in a lottery and said that he was going to continue working at his menial job because in a couple of years he could retire. Ummmmmm, dude, you can retire NOW. I would. My boss asked me once if I won some money and wanted to quit, would I give a notice. I said that I would. "You will notice that I do not work here anymore." That would be my 2 week notice. Thats all they would deserve. I don't think with my luck I will win the Powerball but when it comes time for me to call it quits I will. For me it can't come fast enough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 30.00
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinwize.com
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 18.95
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 26.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside