(Topic ID: 157574)

POLL: Are you here today because of Pinball Arcade?

By frolic

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by japespin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you here today because of Pinball Arcade?”

• YES - Pinball Arcade was/is a major reason I am here today. 107 votes
      24%
    • NO - I'd be here anyways (or I was here long before) 344 votes
      76%

(451 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
    nes_pinball_arcade_(resized).jpg
    255px-Pinball_Hall_of_Fame-_The_Williams_Collection_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reality_studio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 8 years ago

Well, I am. Truth be told I'm much more of an arcade games guy. I lived in the arcades in the early 80s and played them to death literally spending even quarter I made on the machines, but I was never much into pinball. I played it here and there, but it never grabbed me. Fast forward a few decades and enter Pinball Arcade. That's what got me interested in pinball and getting my own machine. Once I had my first real pinball machine (thanks to Pinball Arcade) I was hooked and have since bought a bunch. So yeah I'm here because of Pinball Arcade. What's great about it for me is that all these pinball machines are basically brand new games to me. Yeah a few I played when I was younger like Elvira and the Party Monsters, but most games I never played before so they are all brand new experiences.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There's definitely something to that argument - so many "younger" (ie. late 20's, 30's) people in the hobby cite various pinball simulators as a trigger.
    I came into pinball via arcade video collecting, having never cared about pinball when I was in my arcade prime (1980-1984).

Yeah definitely. It can be hard to get into pinball on location as often the machines are beat up, half the bulbs are burnt out, the flippers are weak, and of course they have 50 bright fluorescent lights right over the machine so you can't see where the ball is going, and yet they still charged $1 to play them so I never got far with them. But with Pinball Arcade I had time to really play and learn the machines, and realize what a deep rule set some games had. I think the first one that really grabbed me on Pinball Arcade was Tales of the Arabian Nights. They have nice tutorials that explain everything and I was like holy cow there is a lot more to this than I thought. Then when you play it with that knowledge and progress thru the modes and stories as you hit your shots, you start to get really interested. Taking that knowledge and playing an actual quality restored game at home where everything works, looks nice and you can really soak in the audio, and I was floored at how amazing the experience was. And then I blew a bunch of cash on pinball machines lol.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reality_studio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-are-you-here-today-because-of-pinball-arcade?tu=reality_studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.