POLL: Are you here today because of Pinball Arcade?

(Topic ID: 157574)

POLL: Are you here today because of Pinball Arcade?

By frolic

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by japespin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you here today because of Pinball Arcade?”

• YES - Pinball Arcade was/is a major reason I am here today. 107 votes
      24%
    • NO - I'd be here anyways (or I was here long before) 343 votes
      76%

(450 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
    nes_pinball_arcade_(resized).jpg
    255px-Pinball_Hall_of_Fame-_The_Williams_Collection_(resized).jpg

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Whenever I see "What year did you get (or back) into pinball?" threads, there is a definite surge starting at 2012.

Speaking for myself, I grew up in 80s arcades, but Pinball Arcade brought me "back" after 20 years off. Searching for "pinball" on the appstore, downloading that game, playing games like Medieval Madness (for the first time for me), and then continuing my search online which brought me to Pinside. By Sept 2012 I bought my first game (from a Pinside seller).

And honestly I've not played Pinball Arcade since "going analog", but it was a integral part of my journey.

So then this morning I looked at the Pinball Arcade wiki, and saw:

Initial release date: February 9, 2012

I'm willing to bet that there's not 1 thing that's as big a contributor to the pinball renaissance than PA. Sure, there's other things you can point to... Stern releasing better games, Jersey Jack and other manufacturers throwing their hats in, the "arcade generation" getting to an age of having money and houses to put stuff in, Pinball bring retro fun in a digital world. All of that has helped.

But I believe nothing has contributed more than Pinball Arcade. Without it, all the other things wouldn't have been enough to get us to where we are today.

Please answer the poll.

#2 2 years ago

Nope. I'm here because of your Tron.
    (Which was because of Pinball Arcade)

#3 2 years ago

What's Pinball Arcade.......

#4 2 years ago

What's Pinball Arcade?

#5 2 years ago

Pinside.com may be the single biggest contributor to my interest in the hobby.

#6 2 years ago

Hmm. I'm pretty sure I was playing pinball arcade on my ipod touch back in 2008-09. If it wasn't Pinball Arcade, I'm fairly certain it was out before 2012. I know the company has been making pinball games since the early 2000's for the consoles, and they transferred a lot of those machines to the Pinball Arcade app. Had all the ones they made for the PS2.

While Pinball Arcade helped fuel it, I've always been into pinball. It's been more of an obsession the past few years, but always been drawn to them in the arcade from a very young age. Remember my dad teaching me how to cradle a ball, on a Bally Playboy I think.

But 10 years ago, about once a year I'd try to hunt down some public machines to play. Then a few years ago I found Main Street Amusements in Lafayette, IN and it just took hold. Found a local Indiana pinball group. Went to a few of the monthly gatherings and played some awesome machines. And because of those gatherings, that's what lead me to buy my first machine.

#7 2 years ago

Pinball Arcade has done a lot for creating awareness for the hobby - agreed. Fun story.

I was in line at an amusement park and two teenagers (with their parents) in front of us start talking about pinball tables, beating each other high scores, etc. Shocked, I struck up a conversation asking which games they have and most enjoy. Pinball Arcade was the immediate answer. I shared pictures off my phone of my basement arcade with real pinball machines. They were so excited and never saw a real pinball machine. Even their parents were like - Cool!

Agree with your post. I'd even go so far as to say Robin should create a sub category or group to Pinball Arcade. Makes perfect sense to bring the groups together.

For the record, my childhood goal was one day having a home arcade like Ricky in Silver Spoons.

#8 2 years ago

I bought one real pin for my game room, then played pinball arcade, then bought 17 more real pins for my game room. I still occasionally play pinball arcade, but real pinball is so much more fun.

#9 2 years ago

Admittedly this guy rekindled some love back in 2008. Black Knight came home christmas 2008, Funhouse followed shortly in Feb. Both were games we loved in person but forgot just how much fun they were until we started "playing pinball" again regularly.

#10 2 years ago

No. I started at a 6 years old.

#11 2 years ago

I got my family's machines in 2008 after I bought a house. I bought the Wii version of PHoF around the same time. It definitely helped me get interested in owning additional games. I never liked the physics in pinball arcade. In 2012 I was probably playing Zen pinball.

#12 2 years ago

I was here before, but pa was a huge push for me to thrive here and both love pinball and dislike emulation compared to real pinball.

#13 2 years ago

I am totally here because of Pinball Arcade. Theatre of Magic got me hooked.

#14 2 years ago

I was a huge arcade collector for years. I started playing PA on my ps3 and fell in love with a pinball machine called black hole. I knew before that I wanted at least one and probably only one pinball in my collection. My friend was selling an asteroids to me when he mentioned he was selling a BH also. Since I loved it on PA I knew I wanted a classic pin. I bought it before I was planning on buying a pin, but I didn't want to let a BH get away. Anyway, I got hooked, and since have sold some arcades to grow my pinball collection. PA is what I refer several collectors to so they can try some classics out before buying. It's been a nice tool to try different models to see what I like.

#15 2 years ago

Thanks for the votes so far.

It will be interesting to see what the % holds at as we get hundreds of votes.

Yes I realize now that Pinball Arcade had other iterations before it hit the appstore. So if those are part of your own story, then I would count that as a vote for PA. Thanks!

#16 2 years ago

I also grew up in 80's arcades. Pinball was there but I never paid much attention to them. In college in the early 90's, I got a little more interested with the dmd games. I never knew any rules and just batted the ball around. There was one other guy that did know the rules and had skills. I was amazed at how he could slap and move the machine to keep ball in play and could make every shot. For some reason that always stuck with me and wanted to learn those skills. Still, I did not play too much pinball. Maybe because I was broke all the time lol.

After college, I would play a pin if I saw one but rarely did. I pretty much figured they went the way of the dinosaur like most arcades. At one point I tried getting virtual pinball running on my pc but could only get a few tables working. a few years ago, I was looking for a virtual pin on my ipad that just worked without having to track down rom files and play with settings. I found a few then discovered Pinball Arcade that had real tables. I didn't realize there was so many pins that I never knew existed. It was also a time that I was looking for a hobby and had a little cash. Somewhere it just popped in my head to get a pin.

#17 2 years ago

Yes played HH on pinball arcade in Jan 2015 shortly after that I bought one and still have it. And iv bought about 20 since then. I played as a young kid in the early 90's but pinball arcade brought it back to life for me. Thanks pinball arcade

#18 2 years ago

Nope, I am here because a ball got stuck on a Mustang back in 1976

#19 2 years ago

Pinball Arcade helped fill the void I had when the arcades began to disappear and took the pinball machines with them. It was great being able to relive so many classic games through that interface, but it also ramped up my desire to buy a real machine and probably helped speed up that process. But I'm still here because of the real machines, not the video versions on any platform.

#20 2 years ago

Nope. Still haven't ever played it.
    I'm here cause I heard Metallica was putting out a pinball machine. And one day, one of you awesome peoples will sell me yer Premium for $5500.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

What's Pinball Arcade.......

this.

#22 2 years ago

I have not played Pinball Arcade but Pinball HoF helped me during my multiple moves so I could still get my pinball fix while the games were in transit.

#23 2 years ago

Yeah, definitely in part. The Pinball Museum here in Seattle is what got me going, but I didn't know there was much pinball in the area, so I downloaded the game to scratch the itch. It's nowhere close to the real thing but it was cool learning the tables and then, when I found out later about the wads of pinball around here, I was able to go and step up to the actual machines and know what I was doing.

Plus, I'm not gonna be able to buy my own machine for, like, years, so it's nice to have some kind of home version.

#24 2 years ago

I'm here because of the Woz announcement and JJP. I was enticed by LCD and "new technology".

While waiting that led to my first pin, a NIB LOTRLE and the rest is history.

One of the best hobbies and best hobby sites out there, period.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Nope. Still haven't ever played it.
    I'm here cause I heard Metallica was putting out a pinball machine. And one day, one of you awesome peoples will sell me yer Premium for $5500.

Metallica brought you here, and you still don't have one? If you need to free up some space, and want a little bit of money to go towards your Metallica fund, I'd gladly take your Mustang.

#26 2 years ago

Well, I am. Truth be told I'm much more of an arcade games guy. I lived in the arcades in the early 80s and played them to death literally spending even quarter I made on the machines, but I was never much into pinball. I played it here and there, but it never grabbed me. Fast forward a few decades and enter Pinball Arcade. That's what got me interested in pinball and getting my own machine. Once I had my first real pinball machine (thanks to Pinball Arcade) I was hooked and have since bought a bunch. So yeah I'm here because of Pinball Arcade. What's great about it for me is that all these pinball machines are basically brand new games to me. Yeah a few I played when I was younger like Elvira and the Party Monsters, but most games I never played before so they are all brand new experiences.

#27 2 years ago

There's definitely something to that argument - so many "younger" (ie. late 20's, 30's) people in the hobby cite various pinball simulators as a trigger.

I came into pinball via arcade video collecting, having never cared about pinball when I was in my arcade prime (1980-1984).

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There's definitely something to that argument - so many "younger" (ie. late 20's, 30's) people in the hobby cite various pinball simulators as a trigger.
    I came into pinball via arcade video collecting, having never cared about pinball when I was in my arcade prime (1980-1984).

Yeah definitely. It can be hard to get into pinball on location as often the machines are beat up, half the bulbs are burnt out, the flippers are weak, and of course they have 50 bright fluorescent lights right over the machine so you can't see where the ball is going, and yet they still charged $1 to play them so I never got far with them. But with Pinball Arcade I had time to really play and learn the machines, and realize what a deep rule set some games had. I think the first one that really grabbed me on Pinball Arcade was Tales of the Arabian Nights. They have nice tutorials that explain everything and I was like holy cow there is a lot more to this than I thought. Then when you play it with that knowledge and progress thru the modes and stories as you hit your shots, you start to get really interested. Taking that knowledge and playing an actual quality restored game at home where everything works, looks nice and you can really soak in the audio, and I was floored at how amazing the experience was. And then I blew a bunch of cash on pinball machines lol.

#29 2 years ago

The first 100 votes are in and the "Pinball Arcade" people are at 21%... which is a pretty significant number. When you consider what the hobby "needs" to keep growing... more collectors, more space, more $$$. To have a single thing that has augmented the growth that much.

We'll see how the numbers hold at the next 100.

#30 2 years ago

Yeah, I think the magic of Pinball Arcade is that dual sense of accessibility and playability. I feel lucky for having had the Seattle Pinball Museum to have stumbled into (the one-entry free-play setup really helped), but all my experiences before that were like, cool, I just wasted seventy-five cents to bat a ball around and have not much happen. Having a reliable and extremely cheap way to play the digital version totally opens it up.

#31 2 years ago

I'm here becasue my "cool" uncle had a pinball machine in his basement when I was a little kid. First thing I thought when I bought my first home with a basement...."I need a pinball machine in here"!

#32 2 years ago

Nope my wife did!
    Grow up playing in the 80's also. Dropped out around 1989. Met my future wife in 1999. One of our first dates we were in a bar that had an old pin in it. We played a few games and she was telling me her favorite game was TAF. Later that year bought my first real pin. Never played Pinball Arcade.

#33 2 years ago

Pinball Arcade is the reason I'm here. I played pinball off and on when I was a kid during the 80's and enjoyed it. For whatever reason (life I guess) there was a long stretch where I never touched or even saw a pinball machine. One day I stumbled across Pinball Arcade and tried their free game, ToTAN, on my iPad. Needless to say it was fantastic. I downloaded the Season 1 pack, which is brimming with classics and became hooked. I attended TPF and had an absolute blast. Now I want a real table of my own, and am strongly considering GB (not sure if Pro or Premium yet). Pinball is very addicting, and this forum is loaded with enablers, lol.

#34 2 years ago

Reasons not in any particular order im into pinball today....

1) im 42 and have a little exta spending money for toys.

2) im 42 and maybe having a mid-life... lets say change of outlook in life. I am what i am and im not what im not. Career is stable so why not enjoy something "for me".

3)i loved pinball back as a kid and more so in college.

4) pinball arcade exposed me to a bunch of a-list games.

5) Bowens tutorial videos.

6)metallica theme in a brand new pin

7) wife said yes

#35 2 years ago

Bought Gottliebs greatest hits for the PS2 back in 2004. Williams greatest hits early 2008. I already had pins. I do enjoy the video versions though. A friend has a bunch downloaded for his PS4? . Fun to play. Not the same as the real thing, but damn close. No maintenance required either. Real pinball still overrules.........

#36 2 years ago

Yes, partly true. The first trigger was Visual Pinball. Then I found TPA (The Pinball Arcade) and really was into the graphics but not so much the gameplay (fysics are always off in a simulation). To get the real experience I bought an IJ on Ebay and then it took off.

I still like TPA very much for the great instructions every table has. The instructions clearly explain all the goals and how to achieve them. That way I fot much better at STTNG and TZ for instance. Also for practice some strategy its very nice, as the shots are somewhat easier to make than on the real machine.

#37 2 years ago

I'm here because after 20 years of waiting, I finally got into financial position to own some more pins.

#38 2 years ago

Yes. I got some Pinball Arcade tables free via PlayStation+. Tried the pre selected table (Tales of the Arabian Nights) and never really let go. (Perfect game to wow newbies.) Watched videos of the 'real thing' on YouTube, modern pinballs (Stern) wich I mostly dislike and stumbled upon 'Magic Girl' wich I immidiatly wanted to buy,... then saw the price tag and that it was still in development and now am pretty glad I didn't have the money.

But that got me into pinball. I still like to have a TOTAN but am not willing to pay 3000 - 5000€ for a 20 year old machine with something breaking every week. So next I'll get the GB pro as my third machine and my first NIB, but I still hope that Stern buys the leftovers of MG for peanuts and finishes the game or TOTAN gets a remake.

#39 2 years ago

My flame was reignited by finding a modded out Tron Pinball on Youtube a few years back. I think it had blue neon circles on the outside of the cab where the wheels would be. Really cool, then I started on Pinball arcade for the Ipad, then found some Pins locally and grew interest from there.

I still think Stern and other manufactures should have pop ups(advertise) that point players to locations that have the real thing. Pinball arcade is a great place to learn the rules as well.

#40 2 years ago

I am here, like many others, because the other discussion group, rgp, where I first posted on something like its fourth day in 1990 or whatever, went to hell, between a certain troll sucking the fun out of it and the Goog mucking it up with their lame-ass new interface.

At first it was reluctantly, but Robin et. al. have put together what must be the best hobby forum site in existence, pinball or otherwise!

#41 2 years ago

I voted No. If only the Pinball Arcade was around when I joined Pinside as then I would have bought a couple of my pins a whole lot cheaper.

#42 2 years ago

Yes. I had played pinball growing up....like arcades, but had forgotten how much fun pinball is. I also bought pinball hof for the PS3. Started talking to others....and never even occurred to me to start a personal collection. Went to CP pinball outside of St Loius, and ordered an AC/DC premium 3 months later. Discovered Pinside shortly after.

#43 2 years ago

No. I returned to this hobby after watching some videos about a nearby arcade, attending the arcade, and joining Pinside. However, I did discover lots of new titles by playing Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection for PS3 in 2009. I didn't actually rediscover physical pinball since the new millennium until 2011.

#44 2 years ago

22% is a pretty decent percent for a single reason many people are here.

That little app has probably generated millions and millions of dollars in real revenue for the real world pinball hobby when you consider it.

And I don't think I know of a person that would choose virtual over the real thing. It seems like it has its place, but is not a competitor to the real thing, and in fact opens up the market for real pinball in ways few other things can or do.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

That little app has probably generated millions and millions of dollars in real revenue for the real world pinball hobby when you consider it.
    And I don't think I know of a person that would choose virtual over the real thing. It seems like it has its place, but is not a competitor to the real thing, and in fact opens up the market for real pinball in ways few other things can or do.

I totally agree. Well said.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flake:

Admittedly this guy rekindled some love back in 2008. Black Knight came home christmas 2008, Funhouse followed shortly in Feb. Both were games we loved in person but forgot just how much fun they were until we started "playing pinball" again regularly.

This is it for me, too. My kids got a wii and I picked this up at Best Buy in the bargain bin. My four year old son became obsessed with fun house and the first real game moved in 3 months later

#47 2 years ago

I voted pinball arcade, but really it was picking up a bunch of Zen tables through a humble bundle that got the ball rolling. I may have got some pinball arcade tables as well before getting my first real machine, but for computer play I still prefer the fantasy aspect that Zen brings over the not quite right emulation with pinball arcade.

#48 2 years ago

Pinball Arcade definitely influenced me to get a specific game,Whirlwind.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It's nice, too, because the younger market is not going to buy machines (I'd guess this forum skews older, and therefore wealthier). It's good to be able to provide access to tables now that the arcades and bowling alleys that the major current market (presumably, if the front page stories are anything to go on) grew up in have dwindled so rapidly. Before I moved to Seattle, I don't think I'd seen a pinball machine in almost ten years.

#50 2 years ago

I'm in the hobby oddly enough because of poker. I split a 340+ people $600 buy in poker tourney. Won a nice chunk of change, and thought 'What's one thing I could buy for myself that I would never buy because I don't have the cash?'

Brought home an Addams Family shortly after, and found pinside after googling to fix some issues the game had. Addiction born.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 132.00
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside