(Topic ID: 69299)

POLL: AFM, MB, CC or BBB - Which one would you want next?

By MnHotRod

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Magic_Mike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“POLL: AFM, MB, CC or BBB - Which one would you want next?”

• Attack from mars 78 votes
    23%
  • Monster Bash 97 votes
    28%
  • Cactuc Canyon 79 votes
    23%
  • Big Bang Bar 91 votes
    26%

(345 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

If PPS was looking to build any one of these four next, which one would you choose?

I've been playing BBB at Lloyd's on my way home from work this week. From game play so far, this is most devinately a game I would have at home if PPS ever decided to build them. I like others would like to see this one made before other games.

#4 10 years ago

Only BBB and MB are worth doing. I think people will be shocked with how few AFM's or CC's would be sold in comparison to MMr. I don't think the prices of AFM are near what people think . . .

#5 10 years ago

My vote would be for Capcoms "Kingpin". If Gene is unable to remake that one, maybe PPS should.

#6 10 years ago

Still MB for me all the way, not that I'm not interested in BBB.

#8 10 years ago

Love me some MB

#9 10 years ago

CC as I do not own one.

#10 10 years ago

Well I never played BBB but I did watch a few videos and I have to say the game play is just OK not great...it's a beautiful machine though. I rather see CC, then (I hope) to tun it into a the ultimate grail pin CCC.

#11 10 years ago

TOPIC POLL
Poll: AFM, MB Or CC - Which One Would You Want Next?
Attack from Mars : (78 votes)
26 %
Monster Bash : (112 votes)
38 %
Cactus Canyon : (108 votes)
36 %
298 Votes( Vote Now )

#12 10 years ago

none....remake Addams Family since these got beaten to death (even though there are a zillion of them around)

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

none....remake Addams Family since these got beaten to death (even though there are a zillion of them around)

Think that would be tough given a high BOM for this game....and you would want well under $8K...still nice examples under that you can find

#14 10 years ago

I never understood all the love for BBB. The theme and art are very cool but the gameplay never pulled me in like others on this list. Guess it would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything. I would love to see MB remade next.

#15 10 years ago

None of the above, how about a brand new game I've never played before.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from zod:

BBB is essentially a new game to just about everyone. I can play the rest even around here, but I have only seen BBB 1 time in person.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Think that would be tough given a high BOM for this game

I was recently told confidentially that the highest BOM of any pinball machine today is $1600

So there should be plenty of margin to remake any game for $8K.

The problem is that TAF is not an $8K game.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I never understood all the love for BBB.

I could never find one to play (let alone service) until the last year or so.

Very fun, deep rules that are clear to understand, funny without being "gay", great music.

Williams did not want to remake another company's product without good reason - they had plenty of talent in house.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from zod:

go buy from Stern or JPOP or JJP etc..

I like NEW games, as in fresh games, not 10,000 plays 2nd hand games.

If I want a new game with unfinished code I'll buy a Stern.

But that does not mean there is not a place for the classics. If you want nothing remade, don't vote in this poll. Don't buy the remakes, if everyone agrees with you there wouldn't be 100+ threads about MMR and PPS.

Some people want to have a chance at a fresh MB or fresh MM they don't want to spend $10K tired old game or they don't want to spend $7900 for a Stern which might have the same code issues as my XM LE.

Stern will learn soon enough when people are spending $7K or $8K on games only not from Stern.

Don't get me wrong, glad Stern was around these past 12 years and made Tron, PotC etc.. but they simply put ZERO effort into making sure their games live up to the price they are selling them for. Zero effort on XM code.

I for one would pay for a MB or MM or AFM or whatever old game before I'll pay for what Stern has been doing lately.

#20 10 years ago

Is an MB remake even feasible? It's a Universal Monsters theme. Might be rights involved there...

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

Is an MB remake even feasible? It's a Universal Monsters theme. Might be rights involved there...

Farsight did it....

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

Universal WANTS to license the Universal Monsters theme .

That's how they make their money.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I was recently told confidentially that the highest BOM of any pinball machine today is $1600
So there should be plenty of margin to remake any game for $8K.

I find that people seem to assign ridiculous values to things in pinball. Perhaps it's because they're used to the high cost of aftermarket parts. Maybe it's because Stern keeps jacking their prices up without actually adding anything.

Would making stuff like a one-off tube dancer be expensive? Sure, a little. Make a couple thousand of them? Pennies on the dollar. We're talking about molded plastic here, it's not rocket science stuff. Plastic and wires and solenoids and switches, with three fourths of that being pretty much off the shelf. And the parts that aren't? The hard work is done. They've been designed already, you're not paying for any of the development. Someone had to design that MM castle to work. Sure, duplicating it takes a little effort, but the heavy lifting is done.

These things might be built in the US, but all those parts are made in Chinese factories. Some little old lady in Kansas is not hand carving Attack from Mars flying saucers, they're being pumped out of a mold on the other side of the world.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Farsight did it....

Not only did they do it, they didn't have to do a Kickstarter and beg hat in had to raise the cash. It's simply not that expensive. I know we think pinball is a big deal, but going to a company and saying "we want to stick these monsters on 2000 toys" is basically a check and a signature. And not that big of a check. There's probably a rubber stamp form all ready, like Vid said, it's part of their business model to license this shit, it's not like you've got to sweet talk anyone into thinking it's a good idea.

I'm not knocking the work Rick is doing, it's real work. Especially getting this off the ground. There's a lot to do. And copying old designs isn't a slam dunk, as he pointed out things weren't saved, or they're buried or in bad shape or stored on floppy disks no one can read in file formats the software to read doesn't run etc.

But if he's not making millions off this project then I'll eat this Adidas shell toe on my right foot. (There are other parties involved, probably loans and backers, who knows how the money is split up, especially off the first startup project. But millions.)

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I was recently told confidentially that the highest BOM of any pinball machine today is $1600...

Stern? Sure. PPS, probably. JJP, JPOP, P3, not so much.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

My vote would be for Capcoms "Kingpin". If Gene is unable to remake that one, maybe PPS should.

Yes, yes! Go on, yes...

I played Kingpin, was awesome! Loved it.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yes, yes! Go on, yes...
I played Kingpin, was awesome! Loved it.

I think Kingpin is awesome as well would be cool to see it remade. We have plenty of options now a days to buy new pins I for one and very glad someone is remaking older classics.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's no secret, Jack said the BOM was around $1600.

#29 10 years ago

And what if they did the matrix?

Could be another winner. Maybe even bigger then MM. It is possible.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

Skit-B got the rights to Predator, all the sound and music and whatnot for less than $25K (I think I've heard) the point is, a hundred bucks per pin is not much out of $8K pin.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

BBB is essentially a new game to just about everyone. I can play the rest even around here, but I have only seen BBB 1 time in person.

True, BBB or Kingpin as well would make good remakes, I thought BBB was remade at some point? Still would rather have a cooler theme than BBB.

#32 10 years ago

Where is option E, None? Make something original ...

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

And what if they did the matrix?

I'd be in for that. I've heard that has made it's way to the states thank goodness! I think I may be able to play it next year at expo.

#34 10 years ago

I'd be in for that. I've heard that has made it's way to the states thank goodness! I think I may be able to play it next year at expo.

One sitting in Muskegon Michigan right now being modded by Hemi!! Can't wait to see it ...

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Where is option E, None? Make something original ...

really?

This is a poll about PPS, they just sold $8M of a remake in ONE day.

You want them to do a whole pin from scratch with more cost to R&D and nowhere near the payoff? That's makes no sense whatsoever.

Maybe they will leave new pins to I don't know new pin makers and do what they do is print money (I mean remake top-10 B/W titles or BBB for another $8M+ pay1day).

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

really?
This is a poll about PPS, they just sold $8M of a remake in ONE day.
You want them to do a whole pin from scratch with more cost to R&D and nowhere near the payoff? That's makes no sense whatsoever.
Maybe they will leave new pins to I don't know new pin makers and do what they do is print money (I mean remake top-10 B/W titles or BBB for another $8M+ pay1day).

I didn't say it would make the most financial sense for them. It's simply what I would prefer to advance pinball. Making constant remakes does nothing but kill the collectibility and nothing to bring in new pinheads, IMHO. I just have much more respect for someone trying to make something original I've never seen in a pin before.

#37 10 years ago

I would be in for a brand new MB. MM never really tickled my bone like MB does. But I understand why people like it.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I didn't say it would make the most financial sense for them. It's simply what I would prefer to advance pinball. Making constant remakes does nothing but kill the collectibility and nothing to bring in new pinheads, IMHO. I just have much more respect for someone trying to make something original I've never seen in a pin before.

There are at 5-6 other people making new pinball machines, after more than a decade of one maker.

I could care less about the collector market, I would like a new MB or a new AFM or a new BBB. Someone wants to make them I will buy if they are not too expensive.

Just because you don't like remakes doesn't mean there is no place for them.

PPS owns or can remake B/W pins, that is what they should concentrate on doing as best as they are able. It would be like you saying to a company like Pizza Hut you don't like pizza so they should concentrate on selling some new different type of food.

I don't understand why on a poll like this people feel the need to explain why remakes are bad. Really sour grapes IMO.

there is JJP, JPOP, Stern, Skit-b, Ben Heck, Spooky, Heighway and Morphic pin making new pins. Why not support them instead of worrying about remakes and the precious collectors market?

#39 10 years ago
#40 10 years ago

Where is the Popeye option?

5 months later
#41 9 years ago

BBB or CCC. Too bad Kingpin isn't on the list.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

It's no secret, Jack said the BOM was around $1600.

lol.

#43 9 years ago

In my mind things will be playing out like this;

Once the 5, 6 or whatever number of viable (from a monetary perspective) remakes have been completed or nearly completed then it is only logical, to me, that PPS will use eveything they have learned making the remakes to start producing original, new pinball machines. I mean they will have everything they need in place, manufacturing, supply chain, financial stability, customer base and most importantly experience in delivery. It wouldn't surprise me if they are already gearing up for this now with designs and planning etc, they have the contacts to pull this off imho.

Seems only logical captain

#44 9 years ago

If the recent sales of a bunch of NOS MB parts is any indicator, i'd say MB is next on the remake frontier.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

In my mind things will be playing out like this;
Once the 5, 6 or whatever number of viable (from a monetary perspective) remakes have been completed or nearly completed then it is only logical, to me, that PPS will use eveything they have learned making the remakes to start producing original, new pinball machines. I mean they will have everything they need in place, manufacturing, supply chain, financial stability, customer base and most importantly experience in delivery. It wouldn't surprise me if they are already gearing up for this now with designs and planning etc, they have the contacts to pull this off imho.
Seems only logical captain

This would be great re makes are cool and all but some original themes would be even better IMO but then again I would love a cc remake !!!

#46 9 years ago

CCC, Kingpin, BBB, in that order please, there are plenty of AFM and MB's that come up for sale at the 8k or lower price

#47 9 years ago

I never understood all the love for BBB. The theme and art are very cool but the gameplay never pulled me in like others on this list.

BBB looks awesome and has a great theme but I think its all about the value for most. I think there are a lot of guys that would buy a remake for 8 grand even though they never even played one. Its a psychological thing... I mean a pin worth 20k has to be awesome, right? Just looking at a BBB you swear at times all you can see is $$$$$$$$. Its sooo invigorating! But the bottom line is that BBB is only awesome when you combine everything with it including the rarity, history and value. You won't get any of that with a 1000 plus run.

A remake would only lose value so you better make damn sure you actually love it for the game play. It is not going to be a 20k pin or a 15k pin or even an 8k pin after a couple hundred plays. I think many would be disappointed with it after a few hundred plays especially when they realize the $$$$$ has disappeared!

BBB is pretty rare, looks awesome and has a great history behind it. That is why the value is so high. You won't get any of that with the remake. All you will get is a pin that has decent game play at best. In the end a BBB remake would just be another lousy... well you know, remake.

#48 9 years ago

I agree Teekee as buyer of a remake I fully expect a resale to drop hard in price. But I am the guy that would pay for the new one over the old one. I bet there is room for collectors and those of us that just want new versions.

#49 9 years ago

the only reason I would like CCC remake for instance is because after a few 100 plays I may be able to pick one up for 6k rather than 12! I really enjoy the game play.

#50 9 years ago

Not sure how many 8k games they will sell when there are plenty out there for sale under the price they are asking for say MMR. This is why I dont get doing AFM at all. If you can get an almost new original AFM for 8k now where will the demand come from?? They would probably need to bring this one out closer to 6,7k

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-afm-mb-cc-or-bbb-which-one-would-you-want-next and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.