Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by parsonsaj
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    polk (resized).jpg
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #2 4 years ago

Bump!

#3 4 years ago

This is my go to sub. I currently have five of them hooked up.

#4 4 years ago

8 of them, got them when they were 69 w free shipping

#5 4 years ago

I’ve had 2 of these go bad on me...and I couldn’t figure out how to take them apart to tinker.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

8 of them, got them when they were 69 w free shipping

Havent been that low for at least 4 years. Lowest is $79
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I’ve had 2 of these go bad on me...and I couldn’t figure out how to take them apart to tinker.

Pull the plate amp off the back and see if the power supply caps are bulging. Parts express sells new plate amps that are compatible and its an easy swap.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Pull the plate amp off the back and see if the power supply caps are bulging. Parts express sells new plate amps that are compatible and its an easy swap.

How do you pull it off? I unscrewed everything & it felt like it was permanently glued in or something.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

This is my go to sub. I currently have five of them hooked up.

any problems with yours? wondering if one should buy the protection plan for $7 ?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

any problems with yours? wondering if one should buy the protection plan for $7 ?

I have 2 or 3 with no issues.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I haven't had any issues with any of the subs. I bought one of them new, and the other four were purchased used. You can often find them for $50-$60 on Facebook, craigslist, etc...

#12 4 years ago

My Polk sub quit working a while back. Polk customer service was great and they fixed it free under warranty. Think it was 2 years on the electronics and mine was a bit over a year old. Taking it apart was not too difficult. The back panel might need to be pried off once all the outer screws removed. There are some wires that go to the front speaker that were not accessible from the rear. Think all I did was remove the trim ring around the front speaker and then the speaker can be pulled out to disconnect wires. There is not much inside these things. I only sent in the circuit board and the replacement didn't take too long to get back.

#13 4 years ago

Do you need a pinwoofer amp to get the most out of the polk are folks using these as is?

#14 4 years ago

I have pinwoofer backbox speakers and amp kits, they are fantastic combined with polk. But, I think the entire pinwoofer kit with sub is a better overall option. I didn't know about pinwoofer when I got the polks

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

[quoted image]

What app is that? Looks interesting....

#16 4 years ago

I’ve got a used one I’d sell if anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

#18 4 years ago

Thanks for posting

#19 4 years ago

[quoted image]

I didnt get them from Amazon, Newegg.com. It was more than 4 years ago though.

#20 4 years ago

They are still at $99 today Feb 11.

#21 4 years ago

I love these, but I've never paid $99 for one...always less...

#23 4 years ago

this appears to be the most popular option out there and I have one and getting ready to buy another one. I have one question on the hook up. the manual reads terribly on hook ups. this is how I have mine for Deadpool and Metallica but a friend questioned how I have the wires. is this how everyone else has theirs? a friend helped me set mine up.

polk (resized).jpgpolk (resized).jpg
    #24 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowtech:

this appears to be the most popular option out there and I have one and getting ready to buy another one. I have one question on the hook up. the manual reads terribly on hook ups. this is how I have mine for Deadpool and Metallica but a friend questioned how I have the wires. is this how everyone else has theirs? a friend helped me set mine up.[quoted image]

Input level, not output. Even better to get a pinnovators mixer, hook four games to one sub, no interference, cleaner sound.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

nput level, not output. Even better to get a pinnovators mixer, hook four games to one sub, no interference, cleaner sound

Thanks Man!

#26 4 years ago

When I looked last week, they were $109....here's to hoping they get to $79 again this year! I need 3...

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Input level, not output. Even better to get a pinnovators mixer, hook four games to one sub, no interference, cleaner sound.

Curious what happens if you have 4 pins connected to that mixer, and have all 4 games being played at the same time...have you tried that?

#28 4 years ago

I have pinnovators and mixer on maiden and kiss. Huge sound improvement

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Highscoresaves:

Curious what happens if you have 4 pins connected to that mixer, and have all 4 games being played at the same time...have you tried that?

I've tried with 2, no issues. Of course, when you crank up 2 games you cant define sounds from each machine

#30 4 years ago

That's the purpose of their mixer, to allow four pins without interference. As stated above, it does get harder to interpret the sound with all four pins running at the same time.

#31 4 years ago

Hayfarmer and Lermods thanks for the good word on our PINsmx.

They are correct in what they say. That being said, if you had 4 pins and 4 subs going at the same time you'd be in just about the same situation. With our PINsmx you save money and floor space

If anyone decides to purchase our PINsmx and for some reason is not happy with how it performs just let us know and we will take care of you! Our customers are of the utmost importance to us!

Here's a link to our PINsmx https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/pinsmx-passive-subwoofer-mixer

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from SGSA:

hayfarmer and lermods thanks for the good word on our PINsmx.
    They are correct in what they say. That being said, if you had 4 pins and 4 subs going at the same time you'd be in just about the same situation. With our PINsmx you save money and floor space
    If anyone decides to purchase our PINsmx and for some reason is not happy with how it performs just let us know and we will take care of you! Our customers are of the utmost importance to us!
    Here's a link to our PINsmx https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/pinsmx-passive-subwoofer-mixer

So you need the PINsmk and a sub connector from pinnovators for each pin right? The PINsmk doesnt come with a kit for the pins....thanks

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

What app is that? Looks interesting....

keepa.com

#34 4 years ago

So you need the PINsmk and a sub connector from pinnovators for each pin right? The PINsmk doesnt come with a kit for the pins....thanks

Yes pinnovators for specific game and mixer

#35 4 years ago

I've got subs hooked to my black knight
    and flight 2000. It's friggin awesome. My Williams
    Flash is gonna sound nuts after I get done shopping it
    out and filling all the sunken inserts. I use Pinnovators
    board on my comic pro SW.

#36 4 years ago

Correct. To clarify a bit more I'll use a 4 pin example.

4 PINsub Kits @ $35/ea = $140
    1 PINsmx @ $65
    Shipping about $9

Total for 4 pins = ~$214 for 4 pins versus $400 if you did subs on each machine.

Feel free to message me with any other questions [email protected]

~Sandra

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I have pinnovators and mixer on maiden and kiss. Huge sound improvement

Just ordered one! Excited! I want to use it with my Arcade Legends 3 also. I have 8 games and 2 Polk subs so should be perfect.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from SGSA:

1 PINsmx @ $65
    Shipping about $9
    Total for 4 pins = ~$214 for 4 pins versus $400 if you did subs on each machine.
    ~Sandra

In the example above wouldn't you need a sub even with the PINsub setup?
    1 PINsmx @ $65
    PINsub Shipping about $9
    Subwoofer for $99
    Total for 4 pins = ~$313 for 4 pins with pinsub and 1 subwoofer versus $400 if you did a subwoofer on each machine.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

1 PINsmx @ $65
    PINsub Shipping about $9
    Subwoofer for $99
    Total for 4 pins = ~$313 for 4 pins with pinsub and 1 subwoofer versus $400 if you did a subwoofer on each machine.

I have 2 per...and one thing that I've noticed is that even though subs are omni, it doesn't feel/sound right if they are too far from the machine you are playing.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

1 PINsmx @ $65
    PINsub Shipping about $9
    Subwoofer for $99

You are absolutely correct! Duh on me. I did the example for someone who already has a polk. It won't let me edit the post, guess it's been up too long. Thank you for pointing that out!

~Sandra

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from SGSA:

1 PINsmx @ $65
    Shipping about $9
    ~Sandra

Wait, what? You're telling me that for $214, I can hook up 4 machines to one of my subs? I had no idea that even existed.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Wait, what? You're telling me that for $214, I can hook up 4 machines to one of my subs? I had no idea that even existed.

Yes you can! Let me know if you have any questions.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

1 PINsmx @ $65
    PINsub Shipping about $9
    Subwoofer for $99

But why would someone use only one sub per machine when most subs have a left and right input? I don't think this is a fair price comparison. I can understand the argument that the Pinnovators solution may sound better, but it's definitely not cheaper.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

But why would someone use only one sub per machine when most subs have a left and right input? I don't think this is a fair price comparison. I can understand the argument that the Pinnovators solution may sound better, but it's definitely not cheaper.

The way I look at it is more crap to break. I would think most people do at least 2 games per sub.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I have 2 per...and one thing that I've noticed is that even though subs are omni, it doesn't feel/sound right if they are too far from the machine you are playing.

I have 6 pins going into a 6 channel mixer. The mixer then drives two active subs with the same signal. Your right about if they are two far way it sounds odd, so I added the 2nd sub. Sounds great. I just tap off each of the pins' sub w/a high-level to low-level balun.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowtech:

this appears to be the most popular option out there and I have one and getting ready to buy another one. I have one question on the hook up. the manual reads terribly on hook ups. this is how I have mine for Deadpool and Metallica but a friend questioned how I have the wires. is this how everyone else has theirs? a friend helped me set mine up.[quoted image]

Where do the wires go to in the pin? We need to know if it's a high level connection (i.e.) or low level (i.e. sub line out).

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Where do the wires go to in the pin? We need to know if it's a high level connection (i.e.) or low level (i.e. sub line out).

I have them clipped directly to the stock subwoofer

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowtech:

I have them clipped directly to the stock subwoofer

Just a hunch, but you might be overloading the low-level inputs on the Polk, so that's why the connection sounds better using the speaker inputs. Since I don't have a Polk, one thing I don't know is how the Polk level control is wired in the low level circuit. Or you might have the connections wired wrong (i.e. speaker + not going to + input on the RCA connector). Again, just a guess.

If you are a DIY kinda person and want to also use the sub's amp, then get one of these. It's purpose is to take a speaker level signal and convert it to a low level input (i.e. RCA). It also provides a balanced to unbalanced connection.

Of course, if you are uncomfortable wiring yourself, support one the vendors in this thread that supplies a prewired kit!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #49 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Hi Guys.

Sandra made a quick FAQ page for our PINsmx. https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/pages/pinsmx-faq

Some people just want to have one sub per game. It may cost more but it keeps the entire setup isolated from any other machine's grounds. Personal preference too. One sub per game also lets you adjust the sub volume per game. In the case of the PINsmx, it has individual controls on each input so you can easily balance the levels. I find that some machines put out more bass and sound louder so I tweak my PINsmx to compensate.

The PINsmx is a lot less expensive when compared to using one sub per machine. It still costs less if using 1 sub per two games but then you don't get to keep the grounds isolated in that setup.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Thanks,

Mark

#50 4 years ago

Man I just bought one last week for $130.00 for Stranger Things. I’ve always just wired a sub up to the external subwoofer. Is this still the preferred method?

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polk-subs-99-on-amazon-2-10-2020?hl=bowtech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.