Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by parsonsaj
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    polk (resized).jpg
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

For my maiden prem, I used pinwoofer backbox speakers and amp, pinnovators sub hookup and a polk woofer. Sounds like a concert when I crank it.

#52 4 years ago

For some reason, I get terrible feedback from the sub after I turn the game off, like it won't stop. Anyone else have this issue?

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Just a hunch, but you might be overloading the low-level inputs on the Polk, so that's why the connection sounds better using the speaker inputs. Since I don't have a Polk, one thing I don't know is how the Polk level control is wired in the low level circuit. Or you might have the connections wired wrong (i.e. speaker + not going to + input on the RCA connector). Again, just a guess.
    If you are a DIY kinda person and want to also use the sub's amp, then get one of these. It's purpose is to take a speaker level signal and convert it to a low level input (i.e. RCA). It also provides a balanced to unbalanced connection.
    Of course, if you are uncomfortable wiring yourself, support one the vendors in this thread that supplies a prewired kit! [quoted image]

You have my interest peeked, would I just tap into the wires right at the subwoofer just like I added to for the subwoofer?

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

For some reason, I get terrible feedback from the sub after I turn the game off, like it won't stop. Anyone else have this issue?

I had that on maiden. I bought a pinnovators setup, prob solved and much better sound

#55 4 years ago

The direct clip from cabinet speaker to sub works great on our other pins tho, just maiden had issues

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I didnt get them from Amazon, Newegg.com. It was more than 4 years ago though.

Newegg doesnt stock the 10" woofers anymore I dont think.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Your getting feedback from the cabinet speaker. Just reposition the subwoofer so it's not directly under the game's cabinet speaker. Let me know if that solves your problem! Mark

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I had that on maiden. I bought a pinnovators setup, prob solved and much better sound

I have the pinnovators setup on mine.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkA:

Your getting feedback from the cabinet speaker. Just reposition the subwoofer so it's not directly under the game's cabinet speaker. Let me know if that solves your problem! Mark

I'm not directly under the cabinet speaker, it's back against the wall (but under the machine). Do I need to move it farther away and not under the game?

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I'm not directly under the cabinet speaker, it's back against the wall (but under the machine). Do I need to move it farther away and not under the game?

Start by turning the sub volume down until is stops feeding back. The turn it up just to the point where it begins to feedback and try moving it around to see how that affects the feedback.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowtech:

You have my interest peeked, would I just tap into the wires right at the subwoofer just like I added to for the subwoofer?

I'll shoot you a pm in a little bit.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

For my maiden prem, I used pinwoofer backbox speakers and amp, pinnovators sub hookup and a polk woofer. Sounds like a concert when I crank it.

This is what I am going to do. Can't wait!

#63 4 years ago

The Polks are still @ $99. Maybe this will be their new price

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

This is what I am going to do. Can't wait!

You will dig it. Best sounding game we have by far. Metallica speakers were a huge upgrade and well worth it, but met is mono I believe and maiden prem is stereo. Plus, bigger speakers in Imdn. good luck!!

#65 4 years ago

Ordered one thanks for the link. Honestly never had one but after playing Alien it just seemed like a game that deserves the sound punch. Hopefully I will hook it up without blowing it up. lol

#66 4 years ago

Does that game have a sub already? Just hook the leads to it and you should be good. You'll need polarity of course.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

You will dig it.

Got my stuff in today. Plugged it all in to my CV. I am pretty disappointed. My Polk hooked up jumped off the base cabinet speaker will shake the house. I had to turn up the sub all the way just to hear it. Not what I expected. If ain't broke dont fix it I guess. Maybe you have to have their sub...

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Got my stuff in today. Plugged it all in to my CV. I am pretty disappointed. My Polk hooked up jumped off the base cabinet speaker will shake the house. I had to turn up the sub all the way just to hear it. Not what I expected. If ain't broke dont fix it I guess. Maybe you have to have their sub...

Hello whthrs166. It's normal to have to turn up the sub with the PINsmx and when using our sub kits due to the output protection. All our kits come with a satisfaction guarantee! If the kit does not meet your satisfaction, we will refund your money. Please contact me directly and we will work with you to see what is going on.

Thanks, Mark

1 week later
    #69 4 years ago

Went to amazon today, not on sale anymore. But, underneath listing said see all offers. I bought a new, in a damaged box, on prime, for $91. Arrived today and it was never opened, new sub. Now have polks on all our games!!

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Went to amazon today, not on sale anymore. But, underneath listing said see all offers. I bought a new, in a damaged box, on prime, for $91. Arrived today and it was never opened, new sub. Now have polks on all our games!!

Nice! We tend to buy a lot of things that way. Open box, damaged box, return item. We've never had a problem. Items are just about always like new. It's a great way to save money! Enjoy!

The price was at $99 for at least a week. For a second, I thought maybe that was the new price but then it went back up.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Yep the damaged ones follow the pricing of the new ones. When the new ones were on sale I got a damaged one (brand new in box lol) for $79

Prices seem to go down every 15-20 days

1 week later
    #72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Yep the damaged ones follow the pricing of the new ones. When the new ones were on sale I got a damaged one (brand new in box lol) for $79
    Prices seem to go down every 15-20 days

Back down to $99 now ( on first post link )

10 months later
    #73 3 years ago

Was looking for some help. Bought a Polk sub last year and finally getting around to hooking it up but not sure how. Plugged speaker wire in to back of sub and attached alligator clips on other end of speaker wire. Now do I attach to the left and right speaker in backbox or attach to speaker in the bottom of cabinet? Thank in advance.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

Was looking for some help. Bought a Polk sub last year and finally getting around to hooking it up but not sure how. Plugged speaker wire in to back of sub and attached alligator clips on other end of speaker wire. Now do I attach to the left and right speaker in backbox or attach to speaker in the bottom of cabinet? Thank in advance.

To base speaker in bottom of game.

4 months later
    #75 2 years ago

Bump

Price is 109 on Amazon right now (used to be 129). Been watching this for a while and finally pulled the trigger with this recent price dip.

In the past I was hesitant to buy a subwoofer as I’m not into blasting my music anymore, done with that in the 1990’s, but I have to say I’m impressed. I have 2 pins hooked up to it with the low pass crossover set to 160Hz to provide more midrange. Even with my pins (spike2) volume set relatively low at 10, it makes a dramatic improvement.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from toddmann:

Bump
    Price is 109 on Amazon right now (used to be 129). Been watching this for a while and finally pulled the trigger with this recent price dip.
    In the past I was hesitant to buy a subwoofer as I’m not into blasting my music anymore, done with that in the 1990’s, but I have to say I’m impressed. I have 2 pins hooked up to it with the low pass crossover set to 160Hz to provide more midrange. Even with my pins (spike2) volume set relatively low at 10, it makes a dramatic improvement.

Thanks for the heads up! I’ve been waiting to buy another one and this was perfect timing. Thank you!

#77 2 years ago

Prime days are mon and tues. Prices in the past have been $89. Might wait and see,,,

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from toddmann:

Bump

You can buy a cheaper mixer and run even more pins off of a single woofer (we only play one pin at a time). That allows you to adjust the sub's level for each pin individually.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

You can buy a cheaper mixer and run even more pins off of a single woofer (we only play one pin at a time). That allows you to adjust the sub's level for each pin individually.

Where would one get a mixer for this? I run two pins per sub. My AC/DC and Metallica share one. Metallica is WAY louder. Would love to level that out when both are being played.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Where would one get a mixer for this? I run two pins per sub. My AC/DC and Metallica share one. Metallica is WAY louder. Would love to level that out when both are being played.

Here you go. I also install a high-level to low-level adapter that connects to the woofer in each pin. It provides isolation between the pins and lowers the level to something more appropriate for the mixer. Also acts as a balun. May or may not be needed - but eliminates any ground issues between pins.

If you have more than one sub, just get a 'Y' adapter and use both subs, that's what I did. I have a 6 channel mixer and one row of pins goes into that.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#81 2 years ago

What’s the input and output like on that mixer? Will it accept straight up wires? I always just tape two wires off the cabinet sub and my woofers take those wires too. No RCA plug.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

What’s the input and output like on that mixer? Will it accept straight up wires? I always just tape two wires off the cabinet sub and my woofers take those wires too. No RCA plug.

1/4" audio connector. So I just ordered some cheap 1/4" mono to RCA adaptors. The SNI-35 (high level to low level audio adapter) has RCA outputs. Then I run a RCA line from the SNI-35 to the mixer w/the 1/4"-RCA adapters. The SNI-35 input is just bare wires, so I just add some small alligator clips to the wires to clamp onto the woofer.

#83 2 years ago

Here's one of the high level to low level audio adapters installed. Different brand, but same concept.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

And here's the mixer. An overkill, but Sweetwater (big musical internet seller) is just down the road from me, and it was a heavy discounted demo model.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #84 2 years ago

Thanks for the update. Just ordered another of my wife's least favorite mods.

1 year later
    #85 1 year ago

For what it's worth these just dropped back down to $129.99 from 249.99 on Amazon. I know that is still a higher price than the original price, but that was 2 years ago and what hasn't got up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA

4 weeks later
    #86 1 year ago

Wow - back down to $99 as of 11/15/22

ships and sold by amazon - lowest price it has been in years

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA

#87 1 year ago

Thanks for the heads up

#88 1 year ago

Not anymore

#89 1 year ago

they have scratch and dent ones over to the side of that page for 98 bux delivered

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from lowbeau67:

they have scratch and dent ones over to the side of that page for 98 bux delivered

I have bought a couple of the scratch and dent ones in the past. The last one I got was indistinguishable from a new one. I'm sure it doesn't always work like that but mine had clearly never been opened.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polk-subs-99-on-amazon-2-10-2020/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.