(Topic ID: 98098)

Polk PSW110 sub $99 closeout at Best Buy with free shipping.

By pinball_erie

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Industen
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-152.jpg
    image-428.jpg
    image-311.jpg
    close hooters.gif
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-236.jpg
    image-718.jpg
    image-317.jpg
    image-442.jpg
    image-361.jpg
    image-489.jpg
    image-314.jpg
    image-408.jpg
    image-996.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matt_Rasmussen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#153 9 years ago

The whole speaker break in is a lie. Well, ok, maybe not a lie, but it takes milliseconds not 100's of hours.

3 months later
    #162 9 years ago
    Quoted from TrainH2o:

I have to disagree with you on this point.
    My first, and most expensive, hobby is home theater/home audio. I have even reviewed equipment for online publications. Speakers are the one thing that can drastically change with hours played.
    The cones and surrounds need to vibrate, sometimes many hours, to adjust to being driven. I have also found that the larger the driver, sometimes means the more hours that are needed for the material that makes up the drivers to stretch, flex, and ultimately settle in.
    Some manufacturers even go through the extra step to play the speakers for X number of hours, prior to shipping them to a reviewer. We are not always given a long enough period of time to keep the equipment, before it has to be shipped back.

It's been proven to be non-existent as much as it's tried to be proven to be real. Do a blind test.

Ever do a blind test on ANY of this audiophile nonsense? It's quite revealing when people can't even guess 50/50 on this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I think it's interesting technology and some does have a benefit of build quality. And I have also spent a lot of money because I thought something was cool, but at no point should we kid ourselves that any of these actually improve the sound quality of anything. Room acoustics is the #1 limiting item in any system, and then speakers. Spending ridiculous amounts of money in cables is a complete waste.

#176 9 years ago

I don't know why you guys buy subs that can extend below 40hz. Do you really think the cheap audio circuitry from 1990 can deliver sub bass below that?

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from Evan55:

of course it can. what, do you think bass was invented in 2005 or something? there is nothing groundbreaking about an audio signal, or amplifying it either. heck, the CDs and headphones we listened to in the 90s resulted in much better quality audio than the mass market Mp3 ipod earbud garbage today.
    (now, the audio source, and how it was mixed/compressed is a different story, who knows if it hits below 40)

I'd challenge you on that, not that bass hasn't existed obviously, but that any pinball machine reproduces any audio below 40Hz. That's the entire point...

#188 9 years ago

Smoke, a good subwoofer (for pinball) has high level inputs. Just run the cable that is connected to the speaker into the sub, and out of the sub back to the speaker, that will passively crossover the subwoofer and your speaker... no problems.

#191 9 years ago
    Quoted from Evan55:

if pinball music/sfx doesnt go below 40hz, its not the circuitry, its the source material.
    And given a 6.5" driver in a big cabinet has the acoustical ability to go (relatively) low, the sound designers have no reason to chop off the low end of the audio mix.

I guess I haven't looked at the soecs on the sound cards, have you?

#196 9 years ago

I can pretty much guarantee that the addition is a far better value.

1 week later
    #209 9 years ago

Dayton audio stuff sounds good too.

#215 9 years ago
    Quoted from Industen:

Wow just installed these subs add they add so much. Just remember to corner load your sub(facing two walls) or facing one wall as close as possible for more output. Never put them in front facing you even though they are pretty with the grill off.

It doesn't matter where the cone is pointing, if you place it in third space you will get more reinforcement, and it might be too much, depends on where your room modes are and how 'one note' you want your bass to be. The 'best' way to do it would be to place the subwoofer where you play and crawl around on the floor listening to where it sounds the best, then place the subwoofer there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matt_Rasmussen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polk-psw110-sub-99-closeout-at-best-buy-with-free-shipping?tu=Matt_Rasmussen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.