Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by SNES
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manadams.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have a couple of PSW10 subs that I alligator clip to my pins through the cabinet speaker. Sometimes I get a feedback noise on certain pins even when sub is powered off but when using a Sony SAW2500 I have never had this issue on any pin. Any ideas on what would cause this?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I don't recommend alligator clipping speakers of any kind to the speaker of a pin. What you are doing is changing the impedance that the pins amplifier "sees". The effect will greatly vary depending on games amplifier circuit, speaker impedance you are clipping to, and the subwoofers input impedance. This can also damage your game. The best way to avoid this is to install a speaker to line level converter and run the line level out into the subwoofers line level input. This will effectively isolate the games amp from the subwoofer and should clean up your noise. I'm using one on my Stern Harley Davidson I bought on Amazon for less than $20. Its a Pyle PLVHL60. Its a stereo converter but I am only using one channel (mono) for my subwoofer.

So you hook either the left or right channel wires of the converter to the cabinet speaker on this? I could give it a try to see if it helps.

#19 2 years ago

Thanks to all the replies and very helpful info. Just weird that it only does it on certain pins and not them all.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Any chance the pins and subs are on a different breaker? Just wondering if they share a common ground or not.

I have had it happen to pins on different circuits. Never had any problem with my Sony subs either just the Polk ones.

#27 2 years ago

So found out this only happens when I have the left and the right line level inputs hooked up. If I just hook up either the left or the right to just one pin the noise goes away.

#28 2 years ago

So my solution was to have a line level converter to an RCA input for one pin and just speaker wire input on either left or right input for the other pin. I may not even need the line level converter just each hooked up on a different input.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manadams.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polk-psw10-sub-noise?tu=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.