(Topic ID: 143213)

Polk PSW10 (cherry) $88 sale on Newegg.com today!

By crwjumper

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tadowhere
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

krazy.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    20140812_144628.jpg
    20140812_144700.jpg
    2eeLY4e.png
    image.jpg
    image_2.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Capture.jpg
    image.png
    There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 8 years ago

Any chance that these would be a huge let down compared to a home theater sub that is hooked up to pins already? Really wanna order some, but afraid I will be severely disappointed in the outcome.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Are these easy to install? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question but i've never done it before

Check out Pinnovators.com for plug n play adapters...
    Thanks

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Are these easy to install? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question but i've never done it before

Couldn't be easier. Have no fear. Buy some 14 gauge copper speaker wire. Splice it on both ends. On one side buy $1 alligator clips and crimp on. On the other slip into the back of the speaker. Put the alligator clips on the speaker. All done!
    image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Any chance that these would be a huge let down compared to a home theater sub that is hooked up to pins already? Really wanna order some, but afraid I will be severely disappointed in the outcome.

These are rated 100 watts. If you already have a powered sub bigger or equal to 10 inches than its not going to be much different.

#55 8 years ago

If I have a single sub hooked to 2 separate games, can they be played at the same time?

#56 8 years ago

Yes they can Mudflaps

#57 8 years ago

Does it sound okay? Seems odd that 2 games can use the same sub with no distortion.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Does it sound okay? Seems odd that 2 games can use the same sub with no distortion.

Works just fine.

#59 8 years ago

Yeah works fine for me too!

Also for those of you who ordered @ $88 there is a form on newegg here:

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView1.aspx?SectionID=106&SubjectID=194&ShortDesc=Price

I filled it out and got a response in under an hour that they are crediting me back $8.01 to my method of payment.

#61 8 years ago

Well okay then. I'll buy some wires and crank that shit!

#62 8 years ago

Just ordered 2. Thanks for the heads up. That makes a total of 3 for me and now all pins will have a powered sub!

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

Check out Pinnovators.com for plug n play adapters...
    Thanks

I have used Pinnovators in the past and this looks like a clean application for the speakers. If I pick up one of these Polk speakers it looks like this is what I would be picking up to complete my "awesome sound experience"

#64 8 years ago

I personally wouldn't use for home theater or 2-channel, but these subs are absolutely perfect for pinball, especially at $89 and below. I seriously recommend scooping these up while you can, because they're near EOL (end of life).

I reverse-engineered one for BOM breakdown and it's insane how little margin is being made on these subs. They're practically sold at a loss for market share and brand recognition. No major manufacturer can offer a comparable current 8" sub at this price point, let alone a 10".

Also, amp panels with speaker terminals are becoming a thing of the past.

#65 8 years ago

Ordered 5. Hope they perform really well!

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

I personally wouldn't use for home theater or 2-channel, but these subs are absolutely perfect for pinball, especially at $89 and below. I seriously recommend scooping these up while you can, because they're near EOL (end of life).

The sub in my main music system cost about $3k, and I think these are just fine for pins. Most pinball sound isn't very good to begin with, so it is overkill to attach a very good sub to them.

#67 8 years ago

I got one. Thanks for the heads up!

#68 8 years ago

Cherry are now. $79.95 free shipping.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#69 8 years ago

Ok... I am in for 1. Question is which games to hook it up to.....

Is there anyway to hook it up to more then 2 machines ? It is very rare that I have all machines going at the same time... would just be nice for it to kick on for whatever I am playing.

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

I reverse-engineered one for BOM breakdown and it's insane how little margin is being made on these subs. They're practically sold at a loss for market share and brand recognition. No major manufacturer can offer a comparable current 8" sub at this price point, let alone a 10".
    Also, amp panels with speaker terminals are becoming a thing of the past.

You convinced me to order a third for WCS. I've been waiting for the $80 black ones to come back but it's been a long time. Stocking up on cherries.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Is there anyway to hook it up to more then 2 machines ? It is very rare that I have all machines going at the same time... would just be nice for it to kick on for whatever I am playing.

You can connect up to four machines. There's an on/off/auto switch. I set mine to auto (standby). Turns on when it detects a signal.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Cherry are now. $79.95 free shipping.

image.jpg

Should I see if I can get my 4 cents back?

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You can connect up to four machines. There's an on/off/auto switch. I set mine to auto (standby). Turns on when it detects a signal.

How do you connect 4 machines with just the 2 inputs? Do you just splice 2 together?

Also to those currently using these subs what do you set the knob on the back labeled "low pass" to?

Thanks everyone!

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames:

How do you connect 4 machines with just the 2 inputs? Do you just splice 2 together?
    Also to those currently using these subs what do you set the knob on the back labeled "low pass" to?
    Thanks everyone!

Oh Yeah, there is also a phase switch for 0 and 180. Which do the current users have it on?

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames:

How do you connect 4 machines with just the 2 inputs?

There are two stereo inputs, but pinball is mono, so L+R plus L+R equals four pins.

Quoted from ilovegames:

About halfway up. Whatever sounds good to you. Too high will be muddy & boomy. Too low, just not enough bass.

Quoted from ilovegames:

Oh Yeah, there is also a phase switch for 0 and 180. Which do the current users have it on?

Zero. Smarter people than me can explain what "being out of phase" is all about.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

There are two stereo inputs, but pinball is mono, so L+R plus L+R equals four pins.

Actually, I guess one of the stereo inputs is line level (as opposed to speaker level), so that complicates things a bit. I'm currently using only the speaker level inputs.

#77 8 years ago

You can use a 9v square battery to touch the terminals of the subwoofer in your game to determine polarity. If the woofer pushes out it's the correct position, if it sucks in it's the wrong position. I think it can be done with a AA battery too, you just have to run wires from the battery.

#78 8 years ago

Black ones for $79.99, free shipping.

I swear this deal gets better by the hour.

http://www.adorama.com/PKAAM1055C.html?emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

2eeLY4e.png2eeLY4e.png

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Black ones for $79.99, free shipping.

There goes 160 bucks. Thanks, jerk.

P.S. Thumbs up.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames:

As long as your pin speakers are wired normally (+ to + and - to -), you'll want to leave it at 0.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

About halfway up. Whatever sounds good to you. Too high will be muddy & boomy. Too low, just not enough bass.

Zero. Smarter people than me can explain what "being out of phase" is all about.

Quoted from highdef:

As long as your pin speakers are wired normally (+ to + and - to -), you'll want to leave it at 0.

Thanks! You guys are awesome.

But I am still confused on the 4 inputs. There are 2 wires coming off the speakers (so plus and minus) and 4 inputs so I always just had 2 hooked up.

#82 8 years ago

Link not working for me. Went to website directly and site says server unavailable. Anyone else having problems?

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from Leeps:

Link not working for me. Went to website directly and site says server unavailable. Anyone else having problems?

Just ordered one without issues.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames:

Thanks everyone!

With our pinsmx box you can connect four games to one sub. You can play them one at a time or all at once. Our pinsmx box has four built in isolation transformers, so if something happens grounding or other issues to your sound board each game is protected from the others.
    Thanks,
    Lorenzo
    Pinnovators.com

#85 8 years ago

Here is what I do...
    Take a short male phono cable with RCA jacks, cut about 6 inches off one end and solder on 2 alligator clips.
    Clip the cable to the speaker leads.
    Loosen the 4 cab speaker nuts and route the cable under the grill.
    20140812_144628.jpg20140812_144628.jpg
    Leave just a few inches sticking out so when you disconnect the sub your connector will tuck into the speaker void and not dange and get caught.
    20140812_144700.jpg20140812_144700.jpg
    Then simple run a female/female cable to one sub in.

Take the other half of the cannibalized male cable and use it for your second machine.

#86 8 years ago

got my $8 refund...But they only did store credit. So what did i do? I went and bought another one
    I did have problems checking out though. It kept telling me it was out of stock and then suddenly the order went through. So I might have gotten the last one

#87 8 years ago

I bought 2 and only need one so if anyone is interested...NIB, cherry Polk PSW10 $80.- pick up in Mansfield MA 02048

#88 8 years ago

Newegg has poor customer service. I ordered 2 subs when they were 88 and submitted a request to refund me the 8 bucks when they went down to 79.99. They said they only offer price match on a single item and that issued it in store credit. What poor customer service!! I'd order from Amazon over this. I mean they won't price match themselves. What horseshit.

#89 8 years ago

Received my order today. Hooked up one to TWD. Really disappointed in the performance. These may be good if you have nothing hooked up beforehand to compare to. But going from my home theater sub to this was a letdown. Enough people rave about these so I wouldn't say they don't do what is inteded, just not as much as I was hoping for.

#90 8 years ago

do these work with all pinballs? I have f14 tomcat, high speed, black knight and getaway: hsII, would like to get 4 of them. what say you guys?

thanks for the input...

-troy

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Received my order today. Hooked up one to TWD. Really disappointed in the performance. These may be good if you have nothing hooked up beforehand to compare to. But going from my home theater sub to this was a letdown. Enough people rave about these so I wouldn't say they don't do what is inteded, just not as much as I was hoping for.

Make sure you hook it up to the sub in the base of the cabinet. It must be connected incorrectly. Mine literally shakes the whole room. I have to turn the volume down.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

do these work with all pinballs? I have f14 tomcat, High Speed, black knight and getaway: hsII, would like to get 4 of them. what say you guys?
    thanks for the input...
    -troy

System 11 games tend to have shit sound compared to WPC, DCS and newer Sterns. I'd probably say it isn't worth it.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

System 11 games tend to have shit sound compared to WPC, DCS and newer Sterns. I'd probably say it isn't worth it.

dirk, thanks for the input. and THAT is why I love this place... (just recently found it a few weeks ago, and already have purchased 3 pins and 600.00 dollars worth of parts from different vendors!!)

also, we are pretty close, north canton here, not to far from akron canton airport!!! go bucks!! O - H ...

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Newegg has poor customer service. I ordered 2 subs when they were 88 and submitted a request to refund me the 8 bucks when they went down to 79.99. They said they only offer price match on a single item and that issued it in store credit. What poor customer service!! I'd order from Amazon over this. I mean they won't price match themselves. What horseshit.

I bought two also at $88.- and they issued a refund to my CC. Try calling again and speaking to someone else. I did notice on the refund request it stated high shipping...?? It was free shipping! Still, I got my $16.02 back

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

I would check your hook up. I've had it happen before where I thought sound was muddled but adjusting my speaker cables helped a bunch. They should rock. Also, you can adjust the volume and crossover to your liking with the dials near the inputs. Season to taste.

BTW, I receive 2 cherry subs today. I hope I like the look as well as my black. Have yet to unbox them.

#96 8 years ago

I just unhooked from my home theater sub and hooked right into the new sub. Don't know where I could have gone wrong? The wife did say she could hear it when she pulled into the driveway after work....lol. Old one is 1250 watts, new one 100. That may be the issue. Side note, the cherry looks fine. Especially if they are tucked up under the machine where you can't even see them.

#97 8 years ago

they were $79.99 on Amazon yesterday

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Old one is 1250 watts, new one 100. That may be the issue.

Ya think?

#99 8 years ago

I hooked mine up to Addams Family last night. So much better when multiball starts now!

#100 8 years ago

I just found a black version from Adorama for $80 for anyone interested that was posted on Slickdeals.

http://www.adorama.com/PKAAM1055C.html?emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polk-psw10-cherry-88-sale-on-neweggcom-today/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.