Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by djb_rh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spdrmn 009.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 10 years ago

So has nobody tried taking the Polk's guts out of the box and mounting it in the pin itself? I've just ordered one and this is my plan. Simply replace the sub with the 10" speaker (yeah, I know it's bigger than the hole) and relocate the amp section into the pinball cabinet. Might remove the studs for the current speaker or just space above them if there's room, not sure yet. Then just find a way to wire in a 110V outlet to switched power inside the cabinet.

Any reason this won't work?

--Donnie

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The amp circuit is "tuned" (some might say "EQ"ed) to that speaker driver in that enclosure with that porting.
    If you move the speaker to a larger box, it won't be able to drive and excite the same frequencies that it could in it's own custom box.

Oh sure. There's no doubt about that. I may try it before I do the conversion just to see if I can tell the difference. But like I've posted in another thread, there's zero chance I'm using it externally. I just don't want the thing sitting under the cabinet. I'm not condoning those that don't mind, it's just not for me.

I guarantee that there will be a quite noticeable increase in performance with adding the amp and higher quality speaker, even if it isn't as good as having a sub in a ported and tuned box. The amp circuit in the machine itself is crap for making much bass, period.

--Donnie

#28 10 years ago

Err, if you plug the speaker level outputs into the RCA input you're going to over-drive the input at all but the most modest of volumes. The speaker level inputs are much better attentuated and protected from over-driving (assuming a well designed amplifier, anyway).

And as I said, I know the sub being in its cabinet is better. I'm saying putting it inside the pinball machine is going to be "better enough" for me to not live with the downside of having the thing dangling on the floor with extra cables and crap to deal with when I want to move it around, and more to clean around.

--Donnie

#31 10 years ago

I do have a dB meter.

But I don't care that much. It's not about "how much" I can get. It's about improving the subwoofer of the stock one by a decent amount, which I'm sure any high quality cone and halfway decent amplifier will do. I know you can do better. I could connect one of my Aerial subs to it if I wanted to, but I'm not. It's worth about $80 to improve my sub *some* as long as it doesn't dangle out of the bottom. And I still *almost* balked because I'm going to have to hack the AC wiring inside to get some switched 110V power. Not that I can't do that hacking, just that I don't want to do it in a non-reversible way if I can easily do that, so it'll take a little time.

--Donnie

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

C'mon, it's science!

How would you propose we have the machine give us some consistent bass to give a repeatable and stable reading?

--Donnie

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Best to leave the subwoofer in one piece, the whole point is its designed to work as a cube, not just a single large speaker. Plus you'll likely rattle your pin. It's un noticible under the pin. I have all kinds of crap under my pins such as lift cart, empty computer box etc..,

Hahaha. Some would say it's "best" not to mod your pin at all. *shrug*

--Donnie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polk-psw10-10-subwoofer-70-shipped-at-amazon?tu=djb_rh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.