image.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
20150712_002835.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi,
I would like to ask your advice on Sub Woofer hook up. I have acquired 2 Polk PSW-10 sub woofer amped boxes and I own two Stern machines that have the Flipper Fidelity Complete Speaker systems in them already. One is an A/C D/C Pro and the other is a Metallica Pro.
As temporary hoop up, I installed the sub unit to the cabinet woofer speaker parallel. Should I tie the amp in series from off the board before the speakers into the amp and then allow the amp to power all the pins speakers? Woofer only? Or leave it as it is?
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance for all help.
Hammer

#2 8 years ago

Pinnovators makes a plug and play sub adapter. You really only need 1 sub. I have 5 pins on 1 sub no problem using RCA adapters. PM lllvjr here on Pinside, he can hook you up with what you need.

You can search many threads on here about hooking up more than 1 pin to a sub. Here's one to get you started:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-one-of-these-pins-is-most-improved-by-adding-a-sub

#3 8 years ago

I don't fully understand your question/wording, but all you need to do is connect the PSW-10 speaker level inputs in parallel with the cabinet woofer.

You can connect a second pin to the same sub in the same way using the additional speaker level input channel. (ie - L and R speaker level signal are from two separate pinball machines)

#4 8 years ago

Sorry for my terminology issues. I will try it again.
Since I have better quality speakers in my machine. Which option is better A, B or C? I do not have lots of money, but not really trying to run several machines through one sub. Just trying to achieve the best sound quality possible, presently.

A) Should I disconnect the speakers wire inputs from all speakers in my pin and tie into the Polk amp Input in there through the Polk amp output back to all the pin's speakers? Amplifying all speakers through Polk Sub?

B) Should I disconnect the speakers wire inputs from the woofer speakers in my pin and tie into the Polk amp Input in there through the Polk amp output back to only the woofer's speaker? Amplifying Only the woofer through Polk Sub?

C) Should I disconnect the speakers wire inputs from the woofer speakers in my pin and tie it in parallel to the Polk amp Input in there through the Polk amp? Amplifying Only the Polk Sub?

I hope my question is clearer.
Thanks,
Hammer

#5 8 years ago

Just piggy back from the existing cabinet sub woofer and connect it to the input side of the Polk. You can run 1 machines wire to the left inputs and then run another machines wire to the right inputs of the same Polk.

Or since you have 2 pinball machines, use one polk for each and just run the wire to either the left or right input on the polk.

Each Polk can handle 2 machines without any special switches etc. If you want to run more than that, then yes purchase the kit from Pinnovators.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from hammer31:

Sorry for my terminology issues. I will try it again.
Since I have better quality speakers in my machine. Which option is better A, B or C? I do not have lots of money, but not really trying to run several machines through one sub. Just trying to achieve the best sound quality possible, presently.
A) Should I disconnect the speakers wire inputs from all speakers in my pin and tie into the Polk amp Input in there through the Polk amp output back to all the pin's speakers? Amplifying all speakers through Polk Sub?
B) Should I disconnect the speakers wire inputs from the woofer speakers in my pin and tie into the Polk amp Input in there through the Polk amp output back to only the woofer's speaker? Amplifying Only the woofer through Polk Sub?
C) Should I disconnect the speakers wire inputs from the woofer speakers in my pin and tie it in parallel to the Polk amp Input in there through the Polk amp? Amplifying Only the Polk Sub?
I hope my question is clearer.
Thanks,
Hammer

None of the above. Don't disconnect anything.

Connect the sub in parallel with the cabinet woofer to either the L or R speaker level input, then connect the other pinball machine to the other speaker level input.

4 wires, two machines, one sub - cheap and easy as can be.

Your better speakers are irrelevant in getting the audio signal to the sub - they will simply (maybe) let you set the sub crossover frequency lower so it can focus on pure bass signals. The signal coming from the backbox being driven by Stern's audio amp is not altered by your speakers and the Polk speaker level outputs are purely an unfiltered pass-thru from the speaker level inputs so you are accomplishing nothing useful by connecting it's outputs back to the machine - you would still be putting it in parallel, just with way more work and headache.

in short - the polk amp is for the polk sub, it does not drive speaker level output.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks Everybody,
I did Not Realize that the Polk Sub's Amp would Not Amplify the Output to the Stern/Flipper Fidelity Speakers.
Thanks Again,
Hammer

#8 8 years ago

What about those of us using standard speaker wires, can you hook up more than 2 games? I have one machine + and - hooked up to the L input and another machine hooked up to the R input. How can I add a third?

#9 8 years ago

OP, here's all you have to do to get the sub working on your game with a standard speaker setup. Pictured is the cabinet speaker. The speaker wires with the alligator clips run to the subwoofer (mine is a PSW-10 as well). That's it.

20150712_002835.jpg20150712_002835.jpg

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What about those of us using standard speaker wires, can you hook up more than 2 games? I have one machine + and - hooked up to the L input and another machine hooked up to the R input. How can I add a third?

You need additional hardware to run more than 2 machines on one sub like the Polk PSW-10; it can only take in a single stereo (both L & R from same source) or two mono signals (L from source 1, R from source 2).

#11 8 years ago

If u wanted a plug n play solution for $35 we include a adpater that goes on the sound board and wiring to the sub. Also working in conjugation with flipper fidelity kits that are installed.

All our headphone kits now have the sub out built into the adpater for free as well.

We also will have these for the new spike system at the end of the week.

Just email me if you need any help.
Thanks,
Lorenzo
Pinnovators.com

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Apologies for my ignorance here. When hooking up the speaker wires between the polk and the cabinet sub, are there positive and negative ends I need to pay attention to? I dont want to get my wires crossed and blow anything, if that's even possible.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

You need additional hardware to run more than 2 machines on one sub like the Polk PSW-10; it can only take in a single stereo (both L & R from same source) or two mono signals (L from source 1, R from source 2).

We can run four on one sub with our pinsmx box. Each input has a isolation transformer protecting the sound board of each game from the others. There is also four potentiometers to adjust the games output to the sub so a game isn't over powered by another game if hooked up to the same sub. $65

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Apologies for my ignorance here. When hooking up the speaker wires between the polk and the cabinet sub, are there positive and negative ends I need to pay attention to? I dont want to get my wires crossed and blow anything, if that's even possible.

Yes there are + and -.

For speaker level input, you can get it backwards and it won't break or blow anything, it will just sound like complete crap. The wires will simply need to be reversed.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Yes there are + and -.
For speaker level input, you can get it backwards and it won't break or blow anything, it will just sound like complete crap. The wires will simply need to be reversed.

Thanks for responding! I'm going to hook up my 1 Polk sub to IM & Met.

#16 8 years ago

I can tell you first hand both those games are fantastic with a Polk

#17 8 years ago

To clarify - can you run both games simultaneously on the one Sub?

Surely it's just like having a Left and Right input from the same source going into the 1 Sub?

no phase or weird things to watch out for?

also, what gauge speaker wiring have you used from the internal speaker to the Sub? And does this really matter?

#18 8 years ago

Gauge wire at 18 or so, and it is perfectly fine.

I have a separate sub for each game, so that question I cannot answer.

#19 8 years ago

"can you run both games simultaneously on the one Sub?"

Yes. Do it all the time. Sounds fine.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

"can you run both games simultaneously on the one Sub?"
Yes. Do it all the time. Sounds fine.

Great, thanks. That'll be Tron and ST going through the Sub tonight then!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

OP, here's all you have to do to get the sub working on your game with a standard speaker setup. Pictured is the cabinet speaker. The speaker wires with the alligator clips run to the subwoofer (mine is a PSW-10 as well). That's it.
20150712_002835.jpg

Just curious why you didn't wire directly into the alligator clip. In the picture you show the bare wires just clipped onto the speaker with the gators. I normally wire them into the clips and then clip them on rather than pinch the wire with the clips.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Just curious why you didn't wire directly into the alligator clip. In the picture you show the bare wires just clipped onto the speaker with the gators. I normally wire them into the clips and then clip them on rather than pinch the wire with the clips.

It is easier to disconnect the sub from underneath the cabinet speaker when moving pins around. Will be especially convenient
when we move to our new home this Sept/Oct.

#23 8 years ago

If you want mobility,

20140812_144700.jpg20140812_144700.jpg
20140812_144619.jpg20140812_144619.jpg

1 year later
#24 7 years ago

Quick question:

What crossover value do you use on the subs for best effect on Sterns or B/Ws?

Usually ranges from around 20-150khz.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polk-psw-10-hook-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.