Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RussG
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_3053.JPG
    sub.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

For those of you that want to add an external sub. Seems like a good price. Just add the promo code listed on the product page.

Peace

#2 11 years ago

Thanks Rick, just ordered 2, been waiting for a promo on this item!

#3 11 years ago

Thanks!! Thats a sick deal. I bought two and not only did I save $40 bucks shipping is free as well.

#4 11 years ago

Anyone have pics of where they ran the wires off the pinball cabinet subs?
    Clips? Twisted on with electrical tape covering? Soldered?

#5 11 years ago

Cool. How does this install?

Very interested...

#6 11 years ago

Just purchased two myself, now to research on how and where to hook them up.

#7 11 years ago

What a deal! Can someome give me a summary of this upgrade? Do you bypass the internal sub or run both? I thought the main issue was that the sub did not have a crossover to pull the highs off of it? Thanks

#8 11 years ago

Great price.

#9 11 years ago

I've seen pics on the site of people running external subwoofer wires directly to the existing sub. What's the best area to run the wires through on say ACDC?

#10 11 years ago

They had the same sale three weeks ago and it doesn't look like it ever goes for sale less then $80

http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16882290034

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Anyone have pics of where they ran the wires off the pinball cabinet subs?
    Clips? Twisted on with electrical tape covering? Soldered?

There has been long discussion about this in the past, but the consensus seems to be that it is OK to run both the internal and external subs in parallel. Mine are soldered to the internal sub terminals, then just clipped into the back of the external sub.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

There has been long discussion about this in the past, but the consensus seems to be that it is OK to run both the internal and external subs in parallel. Mine are soldered to the internal sub terminals, then just clipped into the back of the external sub.

Thanks for the tip! How did you run the wires out of the cabinet? I noticed on ACDC that there's a cover for the power plug where I would typically run the wires out of.

#13 11 years ago

I ran my wires out the bottom cabinet 'vents' in back of cab.(RBION) Use good grade speaker wire. I soldered alligator clips to end of wire and attached to sub in cabinet. Some people have disconnected sub, some not. If you really want to get fancy you can install RCA jacks in back of cab. Tons of info. on RGP if you search it...it was the cats meow last year and all the kids were doing it! : )

#14 11 years ago

This was the "gotta have it" mod before LEDs.

#15 11 years ago

On Williams / Bally games I run it through the back vents, on my Stern games I run the wires right along side the power cord.

I usually just use alligator clips and clip them right on to the existing cabinet woofers lugs. I thought I read somewhere where it is not recommended for use with a Pin2K machine though.

Chris

#16 11 years ago

This may be a silly question;
    Do any of you use 1 external sub to run 2-3 pins, at the same time?

#17 11 years ago

Yeah, I use 1 sub with both my Tron and LOTR connected to it. One is connected to the L inputs, the other to the R. It works surprisingly well.

#18 11 years ago

What happens if both are in play?

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

"POOF"

I was actually wondering the same thing myself

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Yeah, I use 1 sub with both my Tron and LOTR connected to it. One is connected to the L inputs, the other to the R. It works surprisingly well.

Herg... do you bi-pass the internal sub/base, or are those still connected as well?

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Herg... do you bi-pass the internal sub/base, or are those still connected as well?

Quoted from herg:

Quoted from ChadTower:

They both play fine. You're connecting them to separate input channels on the external sub, so it's no different than a normal stereo input to the sub.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

I don't know the technical side of it, but you can run both machines at the same time using that POLK PSW10, as long as you run one pin to the left inputs and the other pin to the right inputs.

It does not sound distorted or anything, it just separates the signals somehow or some way.

I have seen more than two machines hooked up to a sub but I don't think you can run them all at the same time, you have to hook it up to a switch of some type, but I do not recall exactly how Scott did it.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

it just separates the signals somehow or some way.

nope, bass is mono anyway. It gets it all and plays it all. A speaker selector switch would probably be a smart move though.

#24 11 years ago

I have one of these and it's frickin awesome. If you're on the fence just buy the damn thing. Totally worth it!

#25 11 years ago

Nice! I'm going to buy one and attach it to the baby monitor!

Wait... erm...

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Nice! I'm going to buy one and attach it to the baby monitor!
    Wait... erm...

That should be mostly treble. If not, call a doctor... or exorcist.

#27 11 years ago

You haven't seen the baby monitors some folks get now, I guess. We're talking full stereo with DVR and color LCD. And internet broadcasting. It's nuts.

#28 11 years ago

Hot Damn this makes a huge difference !! Just hooked mine up and it rocks. Loosened the plastic cup where the power plug goes our and ran the speaker wire through there. Took the +(red) and - (black) from sub to one channel of sub woofer. Works great. Enjoy!

#29 11 years ago

Found out my ACDC delivery is delayed a bit, so hooked it to my NGG just for the helluvit! WOW- the Gofers were rocking with all that bass!

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

nope, bass is mono anyway. It gets it all and plays it all. A speaker selector switch would probably be a smart move though.

Cool, I just know it sounds awesome and is simple to do!

I will have to purchase one more to tie in to WOZ and Predator when either one of them arrives first.

#31 11 years ago

Wow my two just got delivered today, well I know what I'll be doing tomorrow

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Hot Damn this makes a huge difference !! Just hooked mine up and it rocks. Loosened the plastic cup where the power plug goes our and ran the speaker wire through there. Took the +(red) and - (black) from sub to one channel of sub woofer. Works great. Enjoy!

What did you do red (+) to center and black (-) to outer ring?

#33 11 years ago

Huh? There is a positive and negative right on the pinball sub and then Match that to the powered external sub.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Huh? There is a positive and negative right on the pinball sub and then Match that to the powered external sub.

I couldn't find a pos/neg marking on my NGG sub and I couldn't find a wire diagram in the manual... Bu found this online:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#35 11 years ago

Not sure there . Sorry. Stern has them Marked. Maybe someone can chime in here.

#36 11 years ago

Blk-yellow in that diagram is positive. Solid black is negative.

#37 11 years ago

I keep imagining the difference on my F-14...

#38 11 years ago

Do it!

#39 11 years ago

I keep meaning to hook up my SS to mine to see how it sounds without changing out the backbox speakers. The external sub is way cheaper, especially when you use it for two machines, plus you don't have to worry about the glass rattling. I'm just not sure whether the stock backbox speakers will still make the machine sound weak. With my Stern machines, I can't justify the extra cost of a full upgrade kit. The external sub for $40 per machine is well worth it, though.

#40 11 years ago

I checked Amazon and it seems the usual price for this sub is $100 with free shipping. FYI.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

I checked Amazon and it seems the usual price for this sub is $100 with free shipping. FYI.

Yup- it dropped to $89 for some reason last week when I ordered mine, but now its back to $99...

still not as good a deal as the newegg deal though- but close enough that i wont sweat the $10...

#42 11 years ago

Just ordered 2! Thanks for finding the deal.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Yup- it dropped to $89 for some reason last week when I ordered mine, but now its back to $99...
    still not as good a deal as the newegg deal though- but close enough that i wont sweat the $10...

It's heavy. Free shipping at $10 more might be better.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

It's heavy. Free shipping at $10 more might be better.

Shipping is free with either deal....at least it was when I looked at it...

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Shipping is free with either deal....at least it was when I looked at it...

Ah, okay, then yeah $10 difference.

#46 11 years ago

btw- Im totally not an audio-head..... any recommended settings for the sub (for those using it)?

sub.jpgsub.jpg

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

btw- Im totally not an audio-head..... any recommended settings for the sub (for those using it)?

You can probably start with it about where you see it in the pic you posted for volume and frequency (low pass). Around 100 Hz and mid-volume. Tweak from there. You usually want to have the sub kick in near the frequency where the other speakers can't adequately handle the base frequency response. You can probably adjust further based on the ratings for the sub speaker in the pin. I'm not sure what those frequency ratings are and they would vary by mfr and vintage and whether it has already been replaced with something better.

I'm sure others with a lot more experience/knowledge can kick in more details. I haven't hooked these up to a pin but I do use them with a home theater setup.

The phase can be important to avoid having the sub overlap with other speakers and result in essentially cancelling each other out. On a pin, I'm not sure what's best. On a home theater setup, my AV receiver takes care of that.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Ahhh I just seen the back of the sub, I thought the only audio inputs were the line in RCA jacks, didn't realize the lower set of clips were inputs as well hence why I asked about the center and outer ring. Ok thats great to know, I may order 3 more now.

#49 11 years ago

Yes - I've got 5 (Stern and WMS) mixed into one sub with about $20 in parts. Works great! When they're being played it's just a wall of sound, but since it's just low bass it works just fine. I'm sure there's some theoretical limit on how many you could add.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

The phase can be important to avoid having the sub overlap with other speakers and result in essentially cancelling each other out. On a pin, I'm not sure what's best

Do it by feel. If the bass is weak flip the phase or move the sub. Bass waves cancel when in phase. flipping the phase or moving the sub 2ft can place the waves in seperate alignment and crank out the bass.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polk-external-sub-7999-newegg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.