6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by lllvjr
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“on what games do you have external subwoofers”

• none 18 votes
      30%
    • just my favorites 27 votes
      45%
    • ALL of them! 15 votes
      25%

(60 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-281.jpg
    Capture.JPG

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

So I got my subs and need to send in my rebate, anyone know where to find the rebate instructions?

1 week later
    #53 5 years ago

Can someone please post a DIY instruction and part list for adding a sub to a pin.

I want to add this mod to XM and Tron (2 pins on one sub) wanted to know exactly what types of wire or clips I need to order.

Thanks

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Can someone please post a DIY instruction and part list for adding a sub to a pin.

The installation process is very easy and takes like 5 minutes. I bought a pack of small alligator clips and insulated 18 gauge wire from radioshack. Strip the ends of the wire and attach the alligator clips -- the red clip (positive) to one wire and the black clip (negative) to the other wire. Now clamp the alligator clips to their respective negative and positive terminals on the cabinet's woofer (where the games' wire is soldered to the cabinet woofer) making sure that red clip is on the positive terminal and the black clip is on the negative terminal. There will be faint (-) and (+) markings/etchings on the cabinet woofer terminals so you will know which is which.

Now run the rest of the wire (give yourself some extra length here just in case -- you can always trim it down) through the hole in the back of the lower cabinet where the power cord exits the cabinet. It will be a tight fit. Now strip the ends of the wires -- making sure you know which is positive and negative -- and insert them into the respective negative (red) and positive (black) terminals on the external subwoofer. Enjoy!!!

#55 5 years ago

I have two pins hooked up to one of these. "Feel the power of the wind" is awesome with this sub.

#56 5 years ago

Does hooking up the wires to the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet make a difference vs the backbox speakers? I tried hooking up the sub to the left speaker on my DM last night and was unimpressed with the bass level.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

Does hooking up the wires to the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet make a difference vs the backbox speakers? I tried hooking up the sub to the left speaker on my DM last night and was unimpressed with the bass level.

yes, hook up to cabinet speaker!

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from dito:

yes, hook up to cabinet speaker!

Awesome!! Makes me feel better. I was a little disappointed and I heard all the positive talk. I figured I was doing it wrong.

#59 5 years ago

Here is another decent price powered sub with free shipping and easy hookup for pinballs.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-82-117-402-_-11202013_1

#60 5 years ago

That sub is only 8".

I'd get the Polk 10" - it's always on sale at either Amazon or the Egg for $70.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'd get the Polk 10" - it's always on sale at either Amazon or the Egg for $70.

Agreed!

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

Yes - the audio going to the backbox speakers has all the bass filtered out, so I'd expect you to be pretty disappointed...

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from yonkiman:

Yes - the audio going to the backbox speakers has all the bass filtered out, so I'd expect you to be pretty disappointed...

I put a set of replacement 2-way Polk speakers in the head of my X-Men and I had to install a filter cap as the bass was rattling the speaker panel. I do not believe Stern is filtering the bass on the head speakers except with that little cap they have installed from the factory.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

I put a set of replacement 2-way Polk speakers in the head of my X-Men and I had to install a filter cap as the bass was rattling the speaker panel. I do not believe Stern is filtering the bass on the head speakers except with that little cap they have installed from the factory.

The cap forms a high pass filter, so that would be a 1-pole high pass (not unusual for 2-way speaker systems). My comment was with respect to fattdirk's DM (and all other WPC games, I believe).

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from yonkiman:

Hooking it up to the cabinet speaker blew me away. I had the thing cranked and I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call the cops on me. HOLY smokes!! The whole room shakes during every explosion sample on DM. I want to rearrange my pins so I can hook them all to the sub. Has anyone tried using a mixer to feed more than two pins to the sub?

#68 5 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, I just bought 2.

#69 5 years ago

Amazon just dropped back to $69

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Yep just bought one.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Sweet, thanks or the heads up

#72 5 years ago

Thanks for the heads up guys, just bought one.

#73 5 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. I grabbed one as well. I wonder how my Seaton Submersive would sound connected to my WoZ.

#74 5 years ago

Dang, $170 in Canada on Amazon. Amazon.com won't ship the subwoofer to Canada...

Great deal.

#75 5 years ago

I just picked up 2, thanks

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from HugTheMouse:

Dang, $170 in Canada on Amazon. Amazon.com won't ship the subwoofer to Canada...
    Great deal.

Newegg has them for $20 more if that helps in Canada

#77 5 years ago

on sale at amazon today...
    amazon.com link »

#78 5 years ago

Picked one up this am.......$69 Amazon, free shipping

#79 5 years ago

sweet. Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered my third one. Already have 2 hooked up to 4 machines and they rock.

1 month later
    #80 5 years ago

Is there any way to ask Amazon to put that thing back on sale? I want one now too!

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nemesis:

Is there any way to ask Amazon to put that thing back on sale? I want one now too!

It goes on sale, all the way down to $49, all the time.

Someone always posts it here or on http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28 every few weeks.

#82 5 years ago

Its $136 on amazon now

#83 5 years ago

back to 69.99 after rebate on newegg today.
    Rather have amazon drop to $69.99 or less.
    I'm in the market for another, too. transformers is AWESOME with it. Megatron scares the sh!t out of me now.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

back to 69.99 after rebate on newegg today.
    Rather have amazon drop to $69.99 or less.
    I'm in the market for another, too. Transformers is AWESOME with it. Megatron scares the sh!t out of me now.

sweet, it wasn't on sale while at work today. Hopefully Amazon matches it without the rebate and 2day Prime ships it! Woo0t!

#85 5 years ago

I had to fight with newegg for 3 weeks over a return on a hard drive recently. But they did finally come thru and pay for return shipping too.
    Its just easier with amazon.

#86 5 years ago

Anyone hook this bad boy up to a Twilight Zone? Thoughts? Worthwhile on this game?

#87 5 years ago

Its back up to full price again... I'm grinding my teeth. These scumbags!

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

Anyone hook this bad boy up to a Twilight Zone? Thoughts? Worthwhile on this game

Absolutely. I have one on my TZ and when you can nail one of these for 69.99 or less with free shipping, it's one of the best mods you can do to a machine.

Each sub will handle two machines, there are two channels on the back of each sub.

#89 5 years ago

Some questions about this sub-woofer stuff. Is it best to use a powered versus a passive sub-woofer? I'm guessing you need powered because what's coming from the pinball speaker isn't the best in the first place........

What do you need in a subwoofer to make it work with a pinball? I'm not convinced I need one so expensive.

You just alligator clip to the "+" and "-" of ANY pinball cabinet speaker, attach it to the "+" and "-" of the sub-woofer and it will work??

Thanks!

-Nate

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

You just alligator clip to the "+" and "-" of ANY pinball cabinet speaker, attach it to the "+" and "-" of the sub-woofer and it will work??

yep.

Is it best to use a powered versus a passive sub-woofer?

A powered sub is better because the amp circuit in the sub has been "tuned" to maximize the output of the particular speaker and enclosure.

I'm guessing you need powered because what's coming from the pinball speaker isn't the best in the first place........

Most pins put out 5-7 watts of power, most cheap powered subs 35w.

#92 5 years ago

For the cheapest sub in the world, I'm surprised it did as well as it did.

I would not put it in my Stereo or home theater, but perfect for pinball.

#93 5 years ago

Guys, enlighten me please. When you hook these up does the volume have to be way up to notice the difference? I have my pins in my great room and the volume is at (approximately) 25% so wondering if this would even be something I should look into! ? ! ?

#94 5 years ago

if you're home alone and want to really get into the game, I set volume and 35-37 and it will rumble the whole house at times.
    usually have volumbe set at 30-32 for normal play and wife can still hear TV upstairs.

Thanks for the review link. it's actually not a bad review considering price point. As vid1900 says "perfect for pinball".

#95 5 years ago

Thanks Vid1900 - I'm going to try this out!!

-Nate

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

For the cheapest sub in the world, I'm surprised it did as well as it did.

I would not put it in my Stereo or home theater, but perfect for pinball.

Vid1900 or dgoett- Do you know anything about this subwoofer? Once you add it to the best buy cart it's $135.00, that sounds like a good price to me compared to Amazon and Newegg. Reviews are not bad seems like its packs a decent punch for a starter sub

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rtr-series-12-200-watt-powered-subwoofer/2750435.p?id=1218348486284&skuId=2750435&st=rtr%20subwoofer&cp=1&lp=1

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

I set volume and 35-37

really, i usually have mine at 45 and the wife is always complaining it's too loud.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

Vid1900 or dgoett- Do you know anything about this subwoofer?

Sorry, never heard of it.

Don't spend too much, it's only pinball.

#99 5 years ago

Hooked one up to my Quicksilver and OMG !!

Bought another one for Addams at the other end of the room.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sorry, never heard of it.

Don't spend too much, it's only pinball

actually i might use it for my downstairs setup...to enhance my record player and as a secondary pinball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    $ 16.95
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 21.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 0.35
    $ 149.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside