(Topic ID: 188084)

Polishing up a Silverball Mania (DONE 2/22/18)

By Atari_Daze

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If no replacement playfield can be found, should I replace all inserts with Starburst type?”

• Yes 6 votes
    29%
  • No 15 votes
    71%

(21 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180415_120043[1] (resized).jpg
20180322_063039[1] (resized).jpg
20180313_184749 (resized).jpg
20180301_191430 (resized).jpg
20180301_191053 (resized).jpg
20180301_181009 (resized).jpg
20180222_210436 (resized).jpg
20180222_203015 (resized).jpg
20180222_203003 (resized).jpg
20180222_203126 (resized).jpg
20180222_203030 (resized).jpg
20180222_203314 (resized).jpg
20180222_203345 (resized).jpg
20180222_203610 (resized).jpg
20180222_203432 (resized).jpg
20180222_203536 (resized).jpg
There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Game looks killer with the LED displays! Love it. Great work. Can't wait to see a vid of this thing in action.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#302 6 years ago

Thanks Colsond3 and Captive_Ball video soon!
Filmed one last night but don't have YouTube

Stick with the thread, I'm trying.
Game still not quite 100% but it is playable!!!
I know, I'm know video or it didn't happen.

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I'm know video or it didn't happen

^^^^

#304 6 years ago

Nice work, well done!

The flipper return lane guides below are the wrong way around. See correct orientation here:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2156&picno=12302&zoom=1

Silverball_Mania_FlipperReturnWireGuidesM.jpgSilverball_Mania_FlipperReturnWireGuidesM.jpg

#305 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The flipper return lane guides below are the wrong way around.

LOL, OOOPS.
Thanks Quench , I'll get them corrected.

#306 6 years ago

On that note....Mr. Daze, were you wanting to use the newer flipper bat style? Those aren't the Bally fat flipper bats from the original.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2311

Just asking

#307 6 years ago
#308 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

LOL, OOOPS.
Thanks quench , I'll get them corrected.

Hehe. On the other hand this setup would allow a unique flipper skill! You could call it the "ski jump move" where balls coming from the left inlane jump onto the right flipper, and vice-versa.
But joking apart: nice work A-D!

#309 6 years ago
Quoted from g94:

Hehe. On the other hand this setup would allow a unique flipper skill! You could call it the "ski jump move"

Weeeee, did that to honor the Olympics

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

were you wanting to use the newer flipper bat style? Those aren't the Bally fat flipper bats from the original.

No, I took a little artistic freedom like using starburst inserts
Sort of a resto mod kind of thing.

Thanks for all the complaints too everyone!

#310 6 years ago

My SBM has the thinner flipper bats as well.

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Thanks for all the complaints too everyone!

Hey, what else is Pinside for????

Great looking restoration BTW!

#312 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

No, I took a little artistic freedom like using starburst inserts
Sort of a resto mod kind of thing.

Hehe. From a player's point of view (yes, besides a restorer I'm a passionate player as well) I disagree on that one. I'm not a purist by any means, but Bally games need Bally bats and Williams games have Williams bats. By no means it is allowed to deviate from that sacred rule...

#313 6 years ago

I'll switch them to the translucent blue Bally bats when the game arrives here.

#314 6 years ago
Quoted from g94:

Bally games need Bally bats and Williams games have Williams bats.

I actually didn't notice they were Williams, I would have never intentially made such a feaupaux! I just selected them as I wanted yellow bats. (Obviously still lots to learn.)
But sounds like I can leave 'em for now as Colsond3 has a plan for this machine.

So I fixed the ski jumps this evening and installed a reversible hack to add credits to the game via a repurposed playfield switch. When i got the machine someone had drilled through the coin door to install the credit switch, and the skin was in sorry shape anyway so I just replaced the skin.
Anyway now to add credits just fully press the reject button on the coin door.

Parts on order to hopefully replug all the .100 connectors and fix the lighting issues this weekend along with a new lock for back box and few more odds and ends to wrap up this project.

Oh still have to finish the apron or get one from PPS. And clean the roll tilt mech.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying finally playing this one! Hopefully I can post videos next week.

20180119_201825 (resized).jpg20180119_201825 (resized).jpg

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

...installed a reversible hack to add credits to the game via a repurposed playfield switch. When i got the machine someone had drilled through the coin door to install the credit switch, and the skin was in sorry shape anyway so I just replaced the skin.
Anyway now to add credits just fully press the reject button on the coin door.

I do something similar on my SS Bally's... I bought this switch http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5122-00 and replaced the credit button switch with it. Wired the first switch to a coin switch and the second to the credit switch. First switch pops a credit, second switch starts a game all in one push of the credit button. It's also easily reversible by slipping a piece of heat shrink tube between the contacts of the first switch if you need it to be on coin play... Works like a charm.

-Steve

#316 6 years ago

On classic Bally, I always replace the EPROM with a freeplay EPROM.

Less work than rigging a bunch of wires and switches, and by flipping one switch on the MPU, I go back to coin operation.

The credits never fall below zero, and it still of course registers if you win free games.

(So if the credit display says "5", and you win two free games, it then reads "7")

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

On classic Bally, I always replace the EPROM with a freeplay EPROM.
Less work than rigging a bunch of wires and switches, and by flipping one switch on the MPU, I go back to coin operation.
The credits never fall below zero,

Forgot to mention that I wired it to the 5 Plays $1 switch ... I am interested in the free play EPROM though, where would I start?

-Steve

#318 6 years ago

Without further ado video #1:

My parts orders didn't arrive this weekend so some of the lights still don't work but mechanically the game is 100%
I think

#319 6 years ago

Really impressive work! I only saw the kickback fire once and it fired way off to the right I think... mine fires straight to the centre target... that may need adjustment? Assuming mine is firing right

#320 6 years ago

Mine fires at that right post like 99% of the time. I've not investigated adjustment as I'm cool with it going that way and not directly at the center target.

I'll post more videos once I get all the lamps working.
I just know there were some doubters I had brought this back to life.

#321 6 years ago

The cat showed some interest in the machine....nicely done sir

#322 6 years ago

cat showed some interest in the machine

Yes she did, if your volume is turned up you can hear me shoo her away.

#323 6 years ago

oh man, your player's skills are not on a par with your restorer skills
very nice game! Seems like your jet bumpers switches could be a little more responsive?

#324 6 years ago

Well g94 if I posted up close pics of all the art, you might say my "skills" are equal.
As far as those jet bumps, they are literally hit and miss, sometimes they seem to fire easily, others not so much. Hopefully further videos will illustrate their responsiveness or lack there of. I may jack up the rear of the machine a little more see if that helps. I sure am enjoying this thing now!!

#325 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Without further ado video #1:
» YouTube video
My parts orders didn't arrive this weekend so some of the lights still don't work but mechanically the game is 100%
I think

Awesome video. Very exciting, and you get bonus points for putting Genesis in the background.

#326 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

bonus points for putting Genesis in the background.

Damn, I was wondering when we might hear from you
I actually shot 6 videos last night and kept switching between 70's hits and 80's hits on the satellite dish. I chose this one cause of the music and since the cat was in it.
As stated above, more videos to follow!

#327 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Damn, I was wondering when we might hear from you

Haha. Yeah, laying off Pinside a little. But definitely wanted to check your progress, and glad I did.

#328 6 years ago

Dang it, no deliveries today either. Government shutdown affecting the postal service? Seems odd I had 3 due from 3 sources and still nothing.
Knew I should have chosen UPS or FedEx.
Well at least I can still play this pinball machine!!

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Hopefully further videos will illustrate their responsiveness or lack there of. I may jack up the rear of the machine a little more see if that helps. I sure am enjoying this thing now!!

It's looking great!

I had to fine tune the pop switches a hundred times over until they started behaving properly. I love it when the ball gets caught up in the left bumper and the rubber at the back of the hoop. It will continuously fire up to 20 times or more.

If you want to see how my bumpers work, take a look at this video:

Also, I think your flippers need to be lower. The starting point is kind of high up.

#330 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

Also, I think your flippers need to be lower. The starting point is kind of high up.

There is probably a little dimple in the playfield that shows where the flippers are supposed to be when at rest. Right at the tip of the flippers.

If that dimple got lost in the clearcoat, use a small, straight piece of wood to align the top face of the flippers with the inlane guide wire.

flipangle (resized).jpgflipangle (resized).jpg

#331 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

dimple got lost in the clearcoat, use a small, straight piece of wood to align the top face of the flippers with the inlane guide wire.

Will do that, thank you vid and Anthony.

#332 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

small, straight piece of wood to align the top face of the flippers with the inlane guide wire.

^^^ Did a quick eval using this method, flippers are pretty darn close for having eyeballed them. I'll do the fine tuning another day though.
I wanted to focus on my next issue:
One of my 3 parts orders arrived yesterday so I got the pop lamps wired. Still pondering LED colors for these.
Hopefully new connectors arrive today so I can replace the oe plugs and solve the lighting woes.
Here is one more short vid, while mine are not quite as long as some of you more talented players, I'm just happy to be playing this machine again after 8 months

#333 6 years ago

So here is my gratitude list of those who helped me directly or not:

Redknight87 for selling me this project 9 months ago.

barakandl I sourced NVRAM and boards from him, had countless support emails from Andrew!

gianfri sold me the replacement displays and supplied tech support where I needed it

rufessor
cosmokramer
Captive_Ball
Colsond3
chippe01
LynnInDenver
g94
robin (for obvious reasons of creating pinside )

vid1900 for his many Vid's Guides, his input through out this topic and his support through PMs etc

and last but not least all you other viewers and contributors for helping give me motivation to keep going to provide the "audience" with some often long winded reading material and comedic fodder where suitable.

The build is almost done, my text message from the USPS says my connectors are scheduled to deliver today and I expect to wrap up this thread in the coming days.

Thanks for hanging in with me and look for a few more updates before I mark that "resolved" check mark up top!

#334 6 years ago

Game looks fantastic, and like you, I know the feeling. It's great to be flipping after staring at something in pieces for so long. It's almost done!

1 week later
#335 6 years ago

While I play this thing till digi-key sends me the correct connectors this time, I experimented with some color filtering film.
Also tweaked the jet bumpers a tad. Still maybe not sensitive enough for some but sensitive to the point that more than one fires on occasion from others firing.
Vid will be uploaded shortly.

20180131_065402[1] (resized).jpg20180131_065402[1] (resized).jpg

20180130_203500[1] (resized).jpg20180130_203500[1] (resized).jpg

#336 6 years ago

I like white the best...second place goes to blue. Would love to put some games on it if you need more play testing

#337 6 years ago

Would love to put some games on it if you need more play testing

Bring it on, machine is in Conroe. It's the only one in my stable but if your in the area, your more than welcome!

#338 6 years ago

Yeah, white still looks the best on those displays.

#339 6 years ago

I like white the best...second place goes to blue.

Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, white still looks the best on those displays.

^^^^ +1 on that

#340 6 years ago

I actually like the four different colors together, lol!

#341 6 years ago

Here is another short film but this one has the color filtering over the displays.

#342 6 years ago

Just a few bricks....haha. Cool vid, thing looks like it's playing great. And with the music, I really felt like I was in an arcade at a roller skating rink circa 1985

#343 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

And with the music, I really felt like I was in an arcade at a roller skating rink circa 1985

Yep, that was my intent! Glad it worked.
One of these days the lighting will be fixed and I will gladly say it's ready to sell, part of me is glad I don't have the plug contacts to fix the lamps yet, as i get to play it daily!!

Thanks for continuing to keep an eye on this one.

#344 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Here is another short film but this one has the color filtering over the displays.
» YouTube video

great video, that game is stunning

#345 6 years ago

Very stoked, new project pin arriving in the next few days.
Stay tuned for a new topic for it.
Almost certainly won't need as much "love" as this SBM but it will get it's share.

#346 6 years ago

Nice work. You did an amazing job.

#347 6 years ago

Hey thanks @tatman9999, I may not have restored it from fire damage but its good enough to get my cat approval too!
I call it playing obstical pinball.

Update on next project pin, eta tomorrow (Friday)

20180201_204716 (resized).jpg20180201_204716 (resized).jpg

#348 6 years ago

Came across this. I may buy one preemptively.

IMG_4927 (resized).PNGIMG_4927 (resized).PNG

#349 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Hey thanks tatman9999, I may not have restored it from fire damage but its good enough to get my cat approval too!
I call it playing obstical pinball.
Update on next project pin, eta tomorrow (Friday)

Here is my next restore

0D564795-D8AE-461C-BDF0-C8C493393C0C (resized).jpeg0D564795-D8AE-461C-BDF0-C8C493393C0C (resized).jpeg

#350 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Very stoked, new project pin arriving in the next few days.
Stay tuned for a new topic for it.

Already eager to hit the "follow"-button
Nice job A-D!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polishing-up-a-silverball-mania/page/7?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.