Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Plumonium
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.26 (resized).png
    Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.42 (resized).png
    Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.49 (resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    71f3KEqf7QL._SL1366__(resized).jpg
    025_(resized).jpg
    pyr_(resized).jpg
    4178cce1-667c-4795-9385-74803b078de4_(resized).jpg
    IMG_1945_(resized).JPG
    2d81jq0_(resized).jpg
    10916329_10202057578520020_4424144001964000828_o_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4993s_(resized).jpg
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

My HF tumbler burned out and died... Has anyone tried one of these rotary tumblers:

Let's see some pictures of the inside.

Did you try hotwiring the switch? My buddy the re-loader had a broken switch that he simply bypassed - if you plug it in, it's on.....

#152 7 years ago

The tumbler in question is the Harbor Freight 5 lb. model.

The motor lubricant had separated, I guess, so I took it apart and oiled the bushings (top and bottom) with machine oil. This freed up the motor, and it spins freely now, but the motor cuts out after about 45 minutes, and it's very hot (perhaps there's a thermal cutoff?). Had to let it cool down for an hour, then it started up again, but after 30 minutes, I can feel the heat building again.

I have no confidence that this tumbler will work for any duration, let alone not cause a fire.

Thanks for attempting to troubleshoot, Vid!

2 months later
    #153 7 years ago

I just bought one of the Cabela's model 400 tumblers. It's great and it is the same as the Berry's model 400. Only difference is the paint color: Cabela's is green and Berry's is blue. The model 400 is on sale right now for $59.99

Be sure to go to the auto parts store and buy a bottle of "White Diamond" polish to use with this tumbler. Just use three full circular squirts of the polish into the walnut shell or corn cob media. Run your parts in the tumbler about 30 hours and they should come out looking like chrome.

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

This thread prompted me to go out and buy a tumbler. I got the harbor freight 5 lb one for $49 - 20%. I did a load of PF parts from a 1972 bally double up. Posts, screws, ,washers, springs and more. I used ONLY their fine walnut medium... no liquid polish. After about 29 hours, I took everything out and was amazed at how everything looked!
    These PF parts are going to make an already nice game POP with cleanliness and shininess.

Super nice. I've never seen playfield springs shine like that. I'm a long time hand-polisher, so I've got several questions I hope you will help with.

Did you polish all those items together? It seems like the metal pieces might be harmful to the plastic parts if they are included in the same group. (The metal scratching the plastic.)
    Did the polishing take any of the red paint off the light posts?

Thanks.

2 years later
    #155 5 years ago

Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one.

What to buy? Will the round one be more effective?
    I shop out 2 games per year, so not much use.

Here are my options and price (to Norway)

Cheapest, around 150$

Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.26 (resized).pngSkjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.26 (resized).png

Expensive 1 around $280

Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.42 (resized).pngSkjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.42 (resized).png

Expensive 2 around $280

Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.49 (resized).pngSkjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.49 (resized).png

#156 5 years ago

Cheap one from harbor freight / amazon

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

Cheap one from harbor freight / amazon

As much as I hate that tumbler and the three of them I went through, I'd actually agree with the limited use it will see (just shop outs) as long as you can get it for the cheap Amazon price shipped where you are at. I did full restores with mine and the three I had didn't make it through but maybe 5 restores before I gave up and bought a Thumlers. If you are going to go for quality and going to spend some money, I highly recommend the Thumlers over anything you posted.

#158 5 years ago

the larger one from HF is actually quite nice. its much quieter than the cheap little 5lb version and the motor a lot more robust
    I've been using mine for about 3 years now without any issues. I went through about 4 of the 5lb versions (using their extended warranty) before the last one finally "gave up the ghost" and I upgraded

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html
    with their weekly 20% off coupon, you're looking at $131.99 before taxes

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

As much as I hate that tumbler and the three of them I went through, I'd actually agree with the limited use it will see (just shop outs) as long as you can get it for the cheap Amazon price shipped where you are at. I did full restores with mine and the three I had didn't make it through but maybe 5 restores before I gave up and bought a Thumlers. If you are going to go for quality and going to spend some money, I highly recommend the Thumlers over anything you posted.

Yeap, this guy. For the casual tumbler, cannot beat the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Quick-N-EZ-Vibratory-Polishing/dp/B001MYGLJC/ref=sr_1_13

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polishing-tumbler/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.