Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Plumonium
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.26 (resized).png
    Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.42 (resized).png
    Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.49 (resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    71f3KEqf7QL._SL1366__(resized).jpg
    025_(resized).jpg
    pyr_(resized).jpg
    4178cce1-667c-4795-9385-74803b078de4_(resized).jpg
    IMG_1945_(resized).JPG
    2d81jq0_(resized).jpg
    10916329_10202057578520020_4424144001964000828_o_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4993s_(resized).jpg

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

Any of you guys using this Tumbler:
    Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-Ez Case Tumbler
    amazon.com link »
    I think I read above not to buy it but it has good reviews on Amazon and is the cheapest as well.
    Any users?
    71f3KEqf7QL._SL1366__(resized).jpg

I've had this one for 2-3 years with some heavy use. It's help up better than my HF version. But know it won't be a lifetime purchase. If you're in the hobby long term, you might as well get the better and bigger ones.

#102 8 years ago

Thanks for all the info guys keep it coming

#103 8 years ago

Just jumping in this thread because I'm in the market for a tumbler as well. Missed the 25% off coupon but do have a 20% right now. Unfortunately my local HF was sold out they said "maybe next week" Might just break down and have it shipped. The Dillon looks really nice too. Appears to be shallower than the HF one but has a wider and flatter bowl. debating on the $50 difference

#104 8 years ago

I've been using this one for a few years and it's great. I think it's on sale under $50.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#105 8 years ago

Is "Flitz" and "Autosol" the same thing?

#106 8 years ago

Wife gave the thumbs up for the Dillon purchase After reading you can fit a ball trough in it I figured it would be the best one to start with.

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from bflagg:

I've been using this one for a few years and it's great. I think it's on sale under $50.

image_(resized).jpg

i think that is the "Berry" one, I have the same unit, but didn't buy at Cabelas. I have had great luck with it.

#108 8 years ago

William, if you're looking at buying Flitz to add to your media, order direct from them. Gonna be your cheapest method of buying. (Free shipping to the Great White North).

http://www.flitz.com/tumbler-reloading-media-additive/

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbossfan:

William, if you're looking at buying Flitz to add to your media, order direct from them. Gonna be your cheapest method of buying. (Free shipping to the Great White North).
    http://www.flitz.com/tumbler-reloading-media-additive/

ouch! $17.82 for a 7.6oz bottle?!? definitely not the place that I would purchase it from

$13.39 plus free shipping on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Flitz-TA-04885-Tumbler-Additive/dp/B001T7JWN4/ref=sr_1_1

I think I paid just over $100 for six 16oz bottles a year ago

edit: didn't see that you reside in canada. not sure if amazon.com will ship there for free

#110 8 years ago

I've been using the Berry BT-400 (which is the same machine as the Cabelas in this thread) I use this stuff as a media:

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile-Terrarium-Bedding-Substrate/dp/B001OVGPH6/ref=sr_1_1

- and mix in Brasso, a Sams Club metal polish or Novus 2 depending on what I have.

When my OCD really acts up I usually follow up with a little metal / wax to just help protect the pieces long term from the salt in the air (coastal area / gameroom by the pool gets alot of in-and-out traffic)

(I also tumble brass in this for ammo-reloads but with a different formula of stuff)

- In fact i have some arcade coin door parts rattling around in a BT-400 right now for a Tapper arcade restore. GLW your search.

#111 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

ouch! $17.82 for a 7.6oz bottle?!? definitely not the place that I would purchase it from
    $13.39 plus free shipping on amazon
    amazon.com link »
    I think I paid just over $100 for six 16oz bottles a year ago
    edit: didn't see that you reside in canada. not sure if amazon.com will ship there for free

You'll see some really high prices for this stuff. Search around. Amazon is the cheapest and if you really want it cheap, you can get it by the gallon. That's how I buy it.

#112 7 years ago

Yeah, on Amazon.CA, its $36.18 for a 7.6 oz bottle. https://www.amazon.ca/Flitz-TA-04885-Additive-7-6-Ounce/dp/B001T7JWN4/ref=sr_1_45

Everywhere I look.....us Canuckle-Heads are getting raped for prices.

#113 7 years ago

When HFT has a sale it's no good for us Canadians is this true ?

#114 7 years ago

Does anyone have a Eastwood 18lb tumbler here ?

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

my next one will be the 18lb. version ... I just keep waiting for my small one to crap out... good point about the noise as well

Well I guess I jinxed myself with this comment...my old tumbler has been dying a slow death the last 48 hours after being on about 3 weeks straight...I guess its time to upgrade

#116 7 years ago

Which one are u getting

#117 7 years ago

The Dillon CV-2001 is a beast: it can hold the (disassembled) frames of Bally drop target assemblies, Gottlieb sequence motor cams and frames, and pretty much anything else of comparable size. The larger diameter (and flatter) bowl of the Dillon will accommodate a lot of pieces that won't fit in the larger Harbor Freight unit. The Dillon is a bit pricey, but if you want to tumble every playfield component except long metal ball guides it can't be beat.

#118 7 years ago

I realize this isn't for the average hobbiest, but after my Dillon 2001 finally died, I bought a Thumler ultra-vibe 45 on Chris Hutchin's recommendation. I got mine for a tad better than $600 but you'll see them priced close to $900 as well.

It's 2" larger in diameter than the Dillon and because of the rounded bowl and larger motor, the media moves twice as much. This thing f'ing tumbles!! It also moves the larger items more than the Dillon cutting the tumbling time damn near in half. I mean, I haven't seen this much action since I was in college!!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I realize this isn't for the average hobbiest, but after my Dillon 2001 finally died, I bought a Thumler ultra-vibe 45 on Chris Hutchin's recommendation. I got mine for a tad better than $600 but you'll see them priced close to $900 as well.
    It's 2" larger in diameter than the Dillon and because of the rounded bowl and larger motor, the media moves twice as much. This thing f'ing tumbles!! It also moves the larger items more than the Dillon cutting the tumbling time damn near in half. I mean, I haven't seen this much action since I was in college!!

image_(resized).jpeg

Nice to see another Thumlers out there. They are amazing pieces of machinery.

#120 7 years ago

Where are these Thumlers for sale??? Im in northern Calif!

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Where are these Thumlers for sale??? Im in northern Calif!

Here's where I got mine.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Thumlers_Tumbler_Model_TT185_it-164293.aspx

#122 7 years ago

I thought I read somewhere to not put plated parts in the tumbler. What is safe and not safe to go in the tumbler?

#123 7 years ago

Just don't polish off all the chrome, or you will have a copper colored bracket.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Well I guess I jinxed myself with this comment...my old tumbler has been dying a slow death the last 48 hours after being on about 3 weeks straight...I guess its time to upgrade

Well in an attempt to keep from having down time I took my tumbler apart and lubed the bearings (the motor had stopped turning and was just kind of groaning)... It has been working great again now for 48hrs...

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Well in an attempt to keep from having down time I took my tumbler apart and lubed the bearings (the motor had stopped turning and was just kind of groaning)... It has been working great again now for 48hrs...

Cosmokramer's guide to keeping your polisher lubed - I can see it already!

#126 7 years ago

The bearings seem to always go first and sometimes end up killing the motor. Replacing them with new higher quality bearings is a cheap and very effective way of extending the life of less expensive tumblers.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

The bearings seem to always go first and sometimes end up killing the motor. Replacing them with new higher quality bearings is a cheap and very effective way of extending the life of less expensive tumblers.

Exactly...until I get a chance to put in new bearings I have been putting a drop of oil on the bearing once a day and it has been working great.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

image_(resized).jpeg

I started with a cheapo tumbler from Harbor Freight. It lasted about 10 restorations Using it for 2-3 12-24 hour sessions per game. The bearings/motor just quit. Research showed the Thumbler is a robust piece of equipment (not to mention made in the USA). Being on a smaller budget, I opted for the Ultra-Vibe 10 for around $200. Can be found at several re-loader type retailers. Why mess with something that is essentially disposable, when for a few dollars more......
    I've done 20 games since then and no problems with it, still going strong.

#129 7 years ago

People never oil their furnace motors either, even though they say to oil every 12 months. Then they are surprised when they freeze up.

Might be a good idea to hit the bearings on the polishers BEFORE they go.

(I'm guilty, of having both of mine running for 3+ years and not ever oiling them....)

#130 7 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get cob corn media in Canada Ontario?

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

This thread prompted me to go out and buy a tumbler. I got the harbor freight 5 lb one for $49 - 20%. I did a load of PF parts from a 1972 bally double up. Posts, screws, ,washers, springs and more. I used ONLY their fine walnut medium... no liquid polish. After about 29 hours, I took everything out and was amazed at how everything looked!
    These PF parts are going to make an already nice game POP with cleanliness and shininess.
    4178cce1-667c-4795-9385-74803b078de4_(resized).jpg

Don't think I would put plastics in with metal parts myself.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Does anyone know where I can get cob corn media in Canada Ontario?

Bass pro shop carries it here in Calgary.

#133 7 years ago

I will try the one near me Pingod Thanks

#134 7 years ago

Petsmart.ca as well.
    Might be cheaper there.

#135 7 years ago

Your the best Pingod

#136 7 years ago

Well I finally got around to trying out the resin pyramids in my vibratory polisher today. I put a disassembled Mikuni motorcycle carburetor in it today. They did a great job on it. I tried using the walnut shells with these carburetors before and they would polish it too much. Almost to a chrome-lie finish plus the shells would get trapped in the small orifices of the carb. A real PITA to remove afterwards.

The resin pyramids clean the corrosion off but leave the nice natural finish. Plus there is no debris in the small orifices to pick out afterwards.

Next I'll have to try it on some pinball parts.

Thanks go to vid for the tip!

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Well I finally got around to trying out the resin pyramids in my vibratory polisher today. I put a disassembled Mikuni motorcycle carburetor in it today. They did a great job on it. I tried using the walnut shells with these carburetors before and they would polish it too much. Almost to a chrome-lie finish plus the shells would get trapped in the small orifices of the carb. A real PITA to remove afterwards.
    The resin pyramids clean the corrosion off but leave the nice natural finish. Plus there is no debris in the small orifices to pick out afterwards.
    Next I'll have to try it on some pinball parts.
    Thanks go to vid for the tip!

Great news ,I got my new HFT 18lb tumbler ,now I am going too pick up some walnut shells and corn cob media and I ordered Flitz polish ,they say its cuts time in half I will have too see.

Please let us all know if it works on your pinball parts

#138 7 years ago

Does anyone know how much Flitz do you put in with walnut media ?

Thanks

#139 7 years ago

Does anyone know how much Flitz do you put in with walnut media ?
    Thanks

A little dab will do ya. You don't need to put a whole lot in.

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

A little dab will do ya. You don't need to put a whole lot in.

Ok thanks so much

1 week later
    #141 7 years ago

Anyone has ideas for media for thumbing pinball metal parts ? So far I have used walnut shells and corncob any other?

Thanks guys

#142 7 years ago

Anyone has ideas for media for thumbing pinball metal parts ? So far I have used walnut shells and corncob any other?
    Thanks guys

ive just used walnut and flitz, been very happy and have seen no reason to look for anything else. Only tough thing is sometimes getting the shells out of screw heads and holes.

#143 7 years ago

Which walnut shells do you get ?

Thanks

#144 7 years ago

Which walnut shells do you get ?
    Thanks

I bought them at pet smart, walnut bedding I think it was called. Its used for birds or rodents, can't remember which.

#146 7 years ago

Thanks guys you are all the best

#147 7 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get the Dillon CV 2001 tumbler in Canada?

#148 7 years ago

OK,question,all you guys rock,what do you buy if you only wanna shine up our balls?? No restoration,or heavy use,just a sometimes use like 2 times a year?? Thanks!!!

#149 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,question,all you guys rock,what do you buy if you only wanna shine up our balls?? No restoration,or heavy use,just a sometimes use like 2 times a year?? Thanks!!!

Just buy new balls for $1.50 .

The tumbler is $70, the Flitz is $22, the walnut shells are $25 - you can buy a shit load of ultra polished balls for $120....

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

4 weeks later
    #150 7 years ago

My HF tumbler burned out and died... Has anyone tried one of these rotary tumblers:

http://www.basspro.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Series-Rotary-Brass-Tumbler-7L/product/1407251307/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Yes, I know it's more expensive, but I'm wondering if the motor will last longer. I'm thinking of just using it with dry corncob or dry walnut media. Any thoughts?

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polishing-tumbler/page/3?hl=zarklin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.