Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Plumonium
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.26 (resized).png
    Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.42 (resized).png
    Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.49 (resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    71f3KEqf7QL._SL1366__(resized).jpg
    025_(resized).jpg
    pyr_(resized).jpg
    4178cce1-667c-4795-9385-74803b078de4_(resized).jpg
    IMG_1945_(resized).JPG
    2d81jq0_(resized).jpg
    10916329_10202057578520020_4424144001964000828_o_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4993s_(resized).jpg
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #52 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Also as a heads up to the Canadians coming for Pinfest: Eastwood is in Pottstown, Pa not too far from Allentown. If I wasn't out of town that week I'd be happy to pick one up. I'm sure some here would be willing to do that if you wanted.

Very nice thanks

#53 8 years ago

Hi what do you get with the HF 18lb one when you buy it ?

Thanks so much

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Hi what do you get with the HF 18lb one when you buy it ?
    Thanks so much

For rusted parts I use the resin pyramids:

pyr_(resized).jpgpyr_(resized).jpg

For polishing, I get 50 pound bags of walnut shells from the local pet shop, and add a squirt of Flitz.

-

Make sure your parts are clean of grease before you go and contaminate your media.

Don't bother cleaning and polishing common screws and bolts. It's cheaper to just buy them brand new at Bolt Depot:

https://www.boltdepot.com/

#55 8 years ago

Ok thanks so much for the help ,oh do you find the tumbler load ?

Thanks again

#56 8 years ago

Ok thanks so much for the help ,oh do you find the tumbler load ?

?

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

The Dillon 2001 is probably the best bang for you buck..its huge!
    Big enough to put a wpc ball trought in it. I think it's about $50 more than the big HF tumble. It's bucket isn't tapered like the HF tumbler...So you can get the big stuff in there
    I have no problem tumbling all the hardware form a standard tear down at one time...efficiently.
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-s-cv-2001-vibratory-case-cleaner_8_8_23658.html
    Eta picture

I've got that same Dillon. Big enough to throw in most parts.
    +1 for Flitz!

#58 8 years ago

Lol loud I mean ,sorry

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from EdisonArcade:

Monster_Bash said:
    The Dillon 2001 is probably the best bang for you buck..its huge!
    Big enough to put a wpc ball trought in it. I think it's about $50 more than the big HF tumble. It's bucket isn't tapered like the HF tumbler...So you can get the big stuff in there
    I have no problem tumbling all the hardware form a standard tear down at one time...efficiently.
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-s-cv-2001-vibratory-case-cleaner_8_8_23658.html
    Eta picture
    I've got that same Dillon. Big enough to throw in most parts.

Cool what do you think of your tumbler ?
    Thanks

#60 8 years ago

Lol loud I mean ,sorry

Depending on what media you are using, it sounds like an old garbage disposal.

You will probably put it outside if you are working in the shop at the same time its running.

#61 8 years ago

Very cool thanks so much for the help

#62 8 years ago

Bump ,Does anyone own a 18lb Eastwood

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

For rusted parts I use the resin pyramids:

For polishing, I get 50 pound bags of walnut shells from the local pet shop, and add a squirt of Flitz.

Where do you buy the pyramids from Vid?

And how much does it cost you for a 50lb. bag of walnut shells? Are they fine grade?

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Where do you buy the pyramids from Vid?

Welding/sandblasting place.

Harbor Freight sometimes has them, but it's hit or miss.

Quoted from Gatecrasher:

And how much does it cost you for a 50lb. bag of walnut shells?

~$35. It does not have a grade on the bag, but it's like the normal "fine" walnut shell..

#65 8 years ago

I'm going to have to try some of the pyramids.

I've been buying walnut shells from Harbor Freight. A 25 lb. box is normally $24.95 but with a 20% off coupon it's $20 so that's not that bad.

They sell both 24 grit "fine" and 12 grit "coarse". I've been using the coarse. The fine seemed maybe too fine but I might have to try it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-coarse-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92150.html

#66 8 years ago

Sometimes Petco has the Zilla brand walnut shells for $25 for 50lb so keep an eye out for that.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/ground-english-walnut-shells-reptile-bedding-50lb

#67 8 years ago

Bump ,Does anyone own a 18lb Eastwood

FYI - Canadian Tire is selling a small 5lb vibrating polisher for $99 right now. Good for small parts.

#68 8 years ago

I use Zilla brand walnut shells in my tumbler. They are available at the local pet shop and less expensive than other sources. I buy the 10 qt bag for less than $10 which is enough to fill my tumbler a couple of times.

#69 8 years ago

Yes I seen at CT the 5lb but it's way too small for what I need thanks anyways

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes Petco has the Zilla brand walnut shells for $25 for 50lb so keep an eye out for that.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/ground-english-walnut-shells-reptile-bedding-50lb

I was always hesitant to buy the 24 grit because it looked too fine. Almost like a powder. The 12 grit is what my Berry vibratory polisher came with from the factory. It was originally setup to do brass cartridges for reloading.

2 weeks later
    #71 8 years ago

Weekend bump still looking too buy one between Eastwood and HFT 18lb tumbler

#72 8 years ago

25% off this weekend on HF stuff, so $120 may make your mind up.

#73 8 years ago

Yes that just might thanks

#74 8 years ago

I just seen it 20% off right ?

#75 8 years ago

Don't overload with media or your parts will bend not tumble or not tumble at all.

#76 8 years ago

I just seen it 20% off right ?

+ 25% off coupon for 1 item, front page. Worth the drive over to Military Rd.

Around $200 CDN if they ding you coming back. But get a tank of gas, beer and groceries to offset some $$$

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

They all work the same. They vibrate. I've never heard of any that didn't work well. Eastwood sells good stuff.
    I have a Berry though.

2d81jq0_(resized).jpg

i have this one, use walnut media and a squirt of flitz. Works great.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballocks:

Don't overload with media or your parts will bend not tumble or not tumble at all.

Do you mean overload with parts? Yes, too many parts may not allow them to tumble or move. I've never had an issue with too much media.

#79 8 years ago

For 23yrs I worked with micro finishing for the automakers. Too many parts will bend them. Adding more media, (plastic, walnuts or corncob), will prevent the proper action in the bowl, also bending finer softer metals. Especially brackets, gates, or anything that can tangle. Smaller batches = more action = a better finish, faster. Most tumblers can be used wet or dry. All media will become dirty & need to be changed regularly. If your media smells moldy. Throw it away & clean the bowl completely. Always keep the lid on to prevent airborne particles & reduce noise during operation.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Do you mean overload with parts? Yes, too many parts may not allow them to tumble or move. I've never had an issue with too much media.

You read my mind too.

lol

#81 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great input I got one for the 25% off ,what's the best media for shining pinball metal parts under the PF ?

Thanks

#82 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great input I got one for the 25% off ,what's the best media for shining pinball metal parts under the PF ?
    Thanks

i've had good luck with walnut media that i bought at the pet store, and a squirt of flitz.

#83 8 years ago

Cool does that polish they very good ?thanks for the help

#84 8 years ago

25% off today at Harbor Freight. I'm going down later. I'll be getting another 25 lb. box of walnut shell media for $18.71 (regularly $24.95).

I think I'm going to try the 24 grit as vid suggested.

If you ever wanted to buy a vibratory polisher it would be a good day to also with the 25% discount.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

25% off today at Harbor Freight. I'm going down later. I'll be getting another 25 lb. box of walnut shell media for $18.71 (regularly $24.95).
    I think I'm going to try the 24 grit as vid suggested.
    If you ever wanted to buy a vibratory polisher it would be a good day to also with the 25% discount.

Yes I just called today and they are saying the 25% is not for Canadian buyers but I also called Sat and the guy I was talking too put it though so I guess we will see if it does or not ,today I was going too add more things too my order but if it does work I will have forget about it all

#86 8 years ago

The discounts are only good for one item per purchase.

#87 8 years ago

When I called she told me the discount is not for Canadians thats nt right ,and Sat. When I called too order he put it though so we will have too see what happens

#88 8 years ago

I just got back. They didn't have the 24 grit walnut shells but they had the resin pyramids so I got them instead.

#89 8 years ago

Cool does that polish they very good ?thanks for the help

here is a comparison...2 days in walnut media and very light buffing...
    025_(resized).jpg025_(resized).jpg

#90 8 years ago

So that's with walnut shells ? Thanks so much

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

here is a comparison...2 days in walnut media and very light buffing...

On the right I see an original part with a protective chromate coating. On the left, coating removed.

#92 8 years ago

Any of you guys using this Tumbler:

Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-Ez Case Tumbler
    https://www.amazon.ca/Frankford-Arsenal-Quick-n-Ez-Case-Tumbler/dp/B001MYGLJC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_1

I think I read above not to buy it but it has good reviews on Amazon and is the cheapest as well.

Any users?

71f3KEqf7QL._SL1366__(resized).jpg71f3KEqf7QL._SL1366__(resized).jpg

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

On the right I see an original part with a protective chromate coating. On the left, coating removed.

But it sure looks good...

Quoted from Plumonium:

amazon.com link »
    I think I read above not to buy it but it has good reviews on Amazon and is the cheapest as well.
    Any users?

It works ok, I have used mine about 3 years now.....there are better out there but for the price that one is tough to beat...

#94 8 years ago

What will a "better" Tumbler do better?

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

What will a "better" Tumbler do better?

Should have clarified by better I mean larger...hard to fit some parts in this one...

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

amazon.com link »
    Any users?

You will see my detailed 1 star review on the product page for that item. It's a gamble as a purchase as the parts are very low quality, especially the motor bearings. Unfortunately my tub cracked as well. I have now moved on to a Thumlers Tumbler and am much happier.

**edit**
    It looks like it's not showing in the Amazon.CA site, here is the US link to the product with the review:

Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-Ez Case Tumbler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MYGLJC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_N0w-wb8ZSBW2J

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

You will see my detailed 1 star review on the product page for that item. It's a gamble as a purchase as the parts are very low quality, especially the motor bearings. Unfortunately my tub cracked as well. I have now moved on to a Thumlers Tumbler and am much happier.

how long before you started having issues?

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

how long before you started having issues?

The details are in the review, but it wasn't very long.

#99 8 years ago

Yes I have looked at that one they also have a 18 lb one too I am thinking the 5 lb can't really put too many in there but the 18 lb should be better right ?or is there a bigger one out there ?
    Thanks for all the help

if you're going to go for the HF one, definitely look at the 18 lb capacity tumbler vs. the 5 lb version. I had a 5 lb tumbler and had issues with 3 of them (all covered by warranty) within a year's time of each one (and gave up after the 3rd one died on me. with the 18 lb version, not only does it appear to be a much nicer and sturdier unit, it runs quieter (and obviously, holds a lot larger sized items)

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if you're going to go for the HF one, definitely look at the 18 lb capacity tumbler vs. the 5 lb version. I had a 5 lb tumbler and had issues with 3 of them (all covered by warranty) within a year's time of each one (and gave up after the 3rd one died on me. with the 18 lb version, not only does it appear to be a much nicer and sturdier unit, it runs quieter (and obviously, holds a lot larger sized items)

my next one will be the 18lb. version ... I just keep waiting for my small one to crap out... good point about the noise as well

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polishing-tumbler/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.