Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Plumonium
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.26 (resized).png
    Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.42 (resized).png
    Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 14.25.49 (resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    71f3KEqf7QL._SL1366__(resized).jpg
    025_(resized).jpg
    pyr_(resized).jpg
    4178cce1-667c-4795-9385-74803b078de4_(resized).jpg
    IMG_1945_(resized).JPG
    2d81jq0_(resized).jpg
    10916329_10202057578520020_4424144001964000828_o_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4993s_(resized).jpg
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 8 years ago

Hi guys I am looking for a polishing tumbler or what's the best thing too use at home for under the playfield metal parts ?any ideas that people have that works well and where too buy one .

Thanks

#3 8 years ago

bump up I too am looking for this info.

#4 8 years ago

Harbour freight doesn't ship to Canada.

#5 8 years ago

Yes I have looked at that one they also have a 18 lb one too I am thinking the 5 lb can't really put too many in there but the 18 lb should be better right ?or is there a bigger one out there ?

Thanks for all the help

#6 8 years ago

Yes they do ship too Canada I have done this before for my pin cart

#7 8 years ago

Do you just email them for a shipping quote?

#8 8 years ago

I had too call and they only take cards for payment

#9 8 years ago

I bought a Lyman Turbo 1200 from Amazon. They make two versions, the older version has a power switch, but the new one doesn't. I bought the one with the power switch. I've been happy with the unit.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

I had too call and they only take cards for payment

Awesome thanks

#11 8 years ago

what do most people use in it? Walnut median? where's a good place to get that?

#12 8 years ago

Whatever you buy, just don't buy this:

Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-Ez Case Tumbler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MYGLJC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_l4N0wbY3DMA5B

Buy the Thumlers Tumbler if you want something that will last longer than you will, I love mine.

Jesse

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

what do most people use in it? Walnut median? where's a good place to get that?

Harbor Freight sells that too. I just used a 25% off coupon on some.

#16 8 years ago

I use this a lot too:

IMG_4993s_(resized).jpgIMG_4993s_(resized).jpg

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I use this a lot too:

IMG_4993s_(resized).jpg

Do you use any paste or compound with the buffing wheels or use them dry. Is there a difference between the left and right buffing wheel?

#19 8 years ago

I bought a Lyman 1200 from Cabela's in Barrie. Works like a charm. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/61218/lyman-turbo-1200-pro-tumbler

Got the media (corn cob I think) from PetSmart.

#20 8 years ago

The Dillon 2001 is probably the best bang for you buck..its huge!

Big enough to put a wpc ball trought in it. I think it's about $50 more than the big HF tumble. It's bucket isn't tapered like the HF tumbler...So you can get the big stuff in there

I have no problem tumbling all the hardware form a standard tear down at one time...efficiently.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-s-cv-2001-vibratory-case-cleaner_8_8_23658.html

Eta picture

10916329_10202057578520020_4424144001964000828_o_(resized).jpg10916329_10202057578520020_4424144001964000828_o_(resized).jpg

#21 8 years ago

I use a combo of the HF tumbler with Walnut and a 6 inch buffing wheel to finish. The cheapest place I have found walnut is at Petco. I have done like 6 machines and still have some left from the $10 bag I bought.

The key is to make sure your parts are clean before tossing them in. It saves time and materials.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Do you use any paste or compound with the buffing wheels or use them dry. Is there a difference between the left and right buffing wheel?

To answer your questions: yes and yes

I use different jeweler's rouge (in bar form) for different tasks.

Green for stainless steel and chrome

White for aluminum and to shine other plated parts

The wheel on the left is harder than the one on the right. I use it for a deeper cut and use the wheel on the right for more of a finishing buff.

#24 8 years ago

I found a Eastwood 18" I think it can hold more parts ,does anyone have this one ?

Thanks

#25 8 years ago

I use the same tumbler. Works well, is inexpensive, and big enough for most tasks.

#26 8 years ago

Does anyone own a Eastwood 18lb if so please let me know what you think of it ?

Thanks guys

#27 8 years ago

Bump anyone out there owns a Eastwood 18lb metal polishing tumbler ,please let me know what you think of it .

Thanks guys

#28 8 years ago

Maybe you should edit your thread title to: Opinions on Eastwood 18lb metal polishing tumbler

#29 8 years ago

Bump anyone out there owns a Eastwood 18lb metal polishing tumbler ,please let me know what you think of it .
    Thanks guys

They all work the same. They vibrate. I've never heard of any that didn't work well. Eastwood sells good stuff.

I have a Berry though.

2d81jq0_(resized).jpg2d81jq0_(resized).jpg

#30 8 years ago

I found a Eastwood 18" I think it can hold more parts ,does anyone have this one ?
    Thanks

It looks to be the same Chinese model as the HF one that is $129 with the coupon.

If there is actually any difference between the models, the HF one is much better rated (4 stars) than the Eastwood.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

#31 8 years ago

Yes your right they do all work the same thanks

#32 8 years ago

I use 2 Berrys and a Dillon. I like more than one so I can keep things separated. Makes for less confusion. The Berrys have a better tumbling action than the Dillon and polish faster, so I use those if things will fit. The Dillon, needless to say, is for the larger things.

IMG_1945_(resized).JPGIMG_1945_(resized).JPG

#33 8 years ago

Cool is the big one 18lbs

#34 8 years ago

Cool is the big one 18lbs

Don't know about pounds. It's got a 12 1/2 quart capacity.

#35 8 years ago

About the larger Harbor Freight tumbler ...

I just picked one up this weekend for $130 with a coupon. It's great, but you have to make the bowl a bit more rigid/stronger if you're polishing sharper objects (which some are in the case of Pinball). If you read the reviews on the HF website, you'll see that someone posted how to improve the bowl ... Basically paint the inside of it with truck bed liner, then epoxy in some rubber from a smaller innertube.

After seeing the bowl in person, I highly recommend you do this if you get it. HF sells an innertube with a 4" inner diameter for a couple of bucks. A can of spray on truck bed liner is about $7 from HF (he recommends the paint on type, but a can should be enough ... Just takes longer to finish the job)

#36 8 years ago

Anyone have any on experience on when to use an ultrasonic cleaner in place of (or in addition to) a tumbler?

#37 8 years ago

Yes I seen that too I wonder if the Eastwood is the same or better ,anyone here has one please let me know

Thanks

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

Anyone have any on experience on when to use an ultrasonic cleaner in place of (or in addition to) a tumbler?

Ultrasonic removes grime from intricate parts.

Tumbler polishes metal parts.

#39 8 years ago

Yup. One cleans.. the other polishes

Quoted from vid1900:

Ultrasonic removes grime from intricate parts.
    Tumbler polishes metal parts.

#41 8 years ago

Here's a link to the Thumlers, the bowl is virtually indestructible and they last forever. It's a bit of an investment but worth it for me personally.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3143115086/thumlers-tumbler-ultra-vibe-case-tumbler-110-volt

The great thing about this one is because of the material of the bowl, its very sound deadening and you can actually have it indoors and not have it bother you.

#42 8 years ago

This thread prompted me to go out and buy a tumbler. I got the harbor freight 5 lb one for $49 - 20%. I did a load of PF parts from a 1972 bally double up. Posts, screws, ,washers, springs and more. I used ONLY their fine walnut medium... no liquid polish. After about 29 hours, I took everything out and was amazed at how everything looked!

These PF parts are going to make an already nice game POP with cleanliness and shininess.

4178cce1-667c-4795-9385-74803b078de4_(resized).jpg4178cce1-667c-4795-9385-74803b078de4_(resized).jpg

#43 8 years ago

Looks very nice ,anyone here have the one from Eastwood 18lb I would like too know how that one works ?

Thanks everyone

#44 8 years ago

This one looks really nice also

#45 8 years ago

Looks very nice ,anyone here have the one from Eastwood 18lb I would like too know how that one works ?
    Thanks everyone

Just buy it and try it. You can always return it if it sux. I wish I bought mine a long time ago!

#46 8 years ago

I would but I am from Canada and its coming from the US so it's not so easy too return it that's why I am trying too find someone that has one that can tell me

#47 8 years ago

Bump anyone have a Eastwood 18 tumbler that can tell me more things about .

Thanks guys

#48 8 years ago

Does anyone have a 18lb Eastwood tumbler

#49 8 years ago

Does anyone have a 18lb Eastwood tumbler

I have the identical HF 18lb one.

Works great, and believe me, I have well over 3000 hours on that thing.

#50 8 years ago

Also as a heads up to the Canadians coming for Pinfest: Eastwood is in Pottstown, Pa not too far from Allentown. If I wasn't out of town that week I'd be happy to pick one up. I'm sure some here would be willing to do that if you wanted.

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polishing-tumbler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.