Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bigehrl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Cock_1c4ba3_67825 (resized).jpg
IMG_2786 (resized).JPG
IMG_2592 (resized).JPG
IMG_0032 (resized).JPG
18rb4ij1svplvjpg (resized).jpg
IMG_1102 (resized).JPG
IMG_1100 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

So is it ok, bad karma, just not worth the effort, or good idea to polish the tilt bob and hardware. Working on my one woodrail tonight, and thought, oh yea that stuff is all brass. So polished and clear coated it. Then wondered if this is like taking the patina off of your 17th century Bostonian wood furniture?

IMG_1100 (resized).JPG

IMG_1102 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

If you clear coated it, does it still pass the signal? I would think you just blocked it.
-Mike

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

If you clear coated it, does it still pass the signal? I would think you just blocked it.
-Mike

You know, thought about that just as I was putting it back in the game, but haven't tested it yet. But even if it does, since have it set very liberal due to the difficulty of the game, would break my heart if it was a little more difficult to tilt.

#4 2 years ago

I was experimenting with polishing tilt mech bits during my work on the Tilt film.

I found that it is difficult to polish lead. And also, that lead is resistant to corrosion and might never need to be polished in order to have better conductivity.

So, with exception of lead plumbs, go ahead.

Also, find a way to have firm metal-to-metal contact all the way from the plumb to the wire.

#5 2 years ago

If this isn't the stupidest thing I've seen done on this site it's clearly in the team photo. This is up there with powder coating a shooter rod.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

If this isn't the stupidest thing I've seen done on this site it's clearly in the team photo. This is up there with powder coating a shooter rod.

As said, clear coat negatively impacts the conductivity of the mech. Making sure the unit is clean and functional is good enough. The only time I would advocate going whole hog on polishing it to pure beauty would be when making a transparent machine. Otherwise, nobody sees the innards.

18rb4ij1svplvjpg (resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Yea, that is kind of what happens when I stay up way past bed time. Sleep deprivation makes you do odd things.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Yea, that is kind of what happens when I stay up way past bed time. Sleep deprivation makes you do odd things.

Sleep deprivation and paint fumes, sounds like my weekend. WOOOO!

polishing is is one thing, it'll make better contact. At least you took the abuse without getting all defensive like most people here. Strip the clear, clean the bob to get good contact, tighten the tilt and play pinball. Setting it hard just makes a good score feel even better.

#9 2 years ago

Polish it with Brasso and do not clear coat it. Otherwise, the clear coat insulates the electrical parts so no connection can be made.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Polish it with Brasso and do not clear coat it. Otherwise, the clear coat insulates the electrical parts so no connection can be made.

How the f$!# does someone disagree with this?

#11 2 years ago

Thanks all, need to try adding paint fumes to the sleep deprivation, sounds fun. And did use brasso, but had quite a bit of oxidation so used polishing wheel on my grinder. Came out pretty nice. As for tilt on this game, couldn't score over 100 if tilt was too sensitive, and yes I am a fair at best player.

#12 2 years ago

Final note: Tilt wasn't working, so used emery cloth on inside of ring and wire just below tilt bob. Slightly unhappy to say from experience ---- tilt working just fine.

#13 2 years ago

This is also from a 1950 Gottlieb.

Brasso only.

I like seeing how a part made 67 years ago, looks like the day it was made, with just a simple clean.

Quality of most of the parts is off the charts compared to today.

IMG_0032 (resized).JPG

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

If this isn't the stupidest thing I've seen done on this site it's clearly in the team photo.

i nominate this for funniest comment of the year. who's with me?!?

#15 2 years ago

Lol @ "team photo."

So who is gonna be the first one to powdercoat some circuit boards?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Yup did that to my Jackbot and it shines like a new penny. My plumb is lead so I just ran it under a fine wire wheel and it looks great.

#17 2 years ago

Ive Polished my bob many times in the past, and have always had a smile at the results!

Looks good!

#18 2 years ago

Clear coating a tilt bob - rediculous But whatever floats your boat

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Some one who works for a competitor product to Brasso?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Fake science, LMAO.

#21 2 years ago

Polishing a tilt bob is right up there with painting and stenciling the inside of the cabinet.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Polishing a tilt bob is right up there with painting and stenciling the inside of the cabinet.

... or powder coating coin acceptors.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Hmmmm....

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

... or powder coating coin acceptors.

Ohhhhh....

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Does that go for the top of the head too? Oh, and this.

IMG_2592 (resized).JPG

IMG_2786 (resized).JPG

#25 2 years ago

Wow, didn't mean to stir up so much interesting commentary. But did lift the pf last night and kind of smile at the gleaming tilt bob. Until I tilted it mid game 10 minutes later.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Wow, didn't mean to stir up so much interesting commentary. But did lift the pf last night and kind of smile at the gleaming tilt bob. Until I tilted it mid game 10 minutes later.

Hey! Just remember! It's your tilt bob!! You can polish it as much as you want!

I think some oils or waxes will keep it shiny with out the clear and it will still make contact. If I remember right? Mineral oil?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Not exactly.

Although I agree clearcoating is silly and would render the parts useless, on many occasions I have needed to polish the bob and ring to get good continuity and get it to work properly.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I like seeing how a part made 67 years ago, looks like the day it was made, with just a simple clean.

Quality of most of the parts is off the charts compared to today.

They sure don't make lead weights like they used to.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not exactly.
Although I agree clearcoating is silly and would render the parts useless, on many occasions I have needed to polish the bob and ring to get good continuity and get it to work properly.

They sure don't make lead weights like they used to.

Actually, I can totally agree on the functionality needing to be maintained by cleaning it. I was referring more to the clear coat and such.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

A quick polish/clean is just putting it back to it's original state.

Painting/stenciling is in the restoration category and no longer original.

How far can this thread go?

#30 2 years ago

I kind of expected 1 or 2 responses then a quick fade into oblivion. Guess you never know what trivia will get way more attention than you expect.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Until our nads have a semi gloss finish.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Until our nads have a semi gloss finish.

Cock_1c4ba3_67825 (resized).jpg

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

I kind of expected 1 or 2 responses then a quick fade into oblivion.

mistake number 2

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Electronics
TheDudeMods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
£ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Multigame
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
€ 4.20
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 4.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside