Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2527 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0062 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0061 (resized).jpeg
    45DAC02C-19FC-48E8-A845-CE62114F1D86 (resized).jpeg
    D0AC5E2E-565F-4FB2-B913-46FA2A5D2117 (resized).jpeg
    685D63A9-740A-4864-A98A-D6FA3B29FA0F (resized).jpeg
    606E7682-B50D-45D3-82EA-16103942EC46 (resized).jpeg
    BDB5D313-C03E-4EFA-AC2D-E4A479354C0F (resized).jpeg
    62A2900E-020A-4FDF-8D0C-E03DB6D1CBB9 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    604EDF22-AE45-4E40-A36A-537D9716279E (resized).jpeg
    0BAE0790-79EB-4E85-98FA-4CF9C7230A96 (resized).jpeg
    7149F447-7E9E-459E-BC06-887F12A40856 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

This is the door jam on a 1971 Gtb . I’ve hand sanded it down to 400 grit, but the scratches remain.

Which makes me think it is the grain of the metal. But the reverse side has no grain and the front side had the scratches and still some finish before I sanded it.

Also, the grain and scratches are on the coin door , which still has plenty of finish.

Can someone tell me why, if it is grain, it shows thru the plating or finish on one side but not the other? What is going on here?

0BAE0790-79EB-4E85-98FA-4CF9C7230A96 (resized).jpeg0BAE0790-79EB-4E85-98FA-4CF9C7230A96 (resized).jpeg604EDF22-AE45-4E40-A36A-537D9716279E (resized).jpeg604EDF22-AE45-4E40-A36A-537D9716279E (resized).jpeg7149F447-7E9E-459E-BC06-887F12A40856 (resized).jpeg7149F447-7E9E-459E-BC06-887F12A40856 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

After finish polishing. 400 grit, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000. Then polished with Mother’s Mag & aluminum polish.

62A2900E-020A-4FDF-8D0C-E03DB6D1CBB9 (resized).jpeg62A2900E-020A-4FDF-8D0C-E03DB6D1CBB9 (resized).jpegBDB5D313-C03E-4EFA-AC2D-E4A479354C0F (resized).jpegBDB5D313-C03E-4EFA-AC2D-E4A479354C0F (resized).jpeg
    #3 1 year ago

Before & after

606E7682-B50D-45D3-82EA-16103942EC46 (resized).jpeg606E7682-B50D-45D3-82EA-16103942EC46 (resized).jpeg685D63A9-740A-4864-A98A-D6FA3B29FA0F (resized).jpeg685D63A9-740A-4864-A98A-D6FA3B29FA0F (resized).jpeg
    #4 1 year ago

The coin door skin is stainless steel with a “grain direction”. I say that as the SS can be polished to a mirror finish if you care to do so.

The bracket appears to be plated steel and has no inherent grain direction.

#5 1 year ago

The only way to get the scratches out is to sand it down to below where the scratch actually is.

The only way to get the grain out (which are just uniform scratches from sanding) is to basically work your way down to around 1000 or 1500 grit and/or use a polishing wheel (rather than hand polishing). At that point, you can usually get a mirror finish when polishing.

Wet sanding also helps.

I also like to use abrasive balls from harbor freight to knock off any surface imperfections and scratches before going to finer grits to prepare the surface for polishing. Although, when I've been in a hurry, I've just used those abrasive balls and polishing wheel and ended up with decent results.

#6 1 year ago

I should have said I do it wet.

Coin door, after & before.

The middle section still looks too rough for my taste. Is there a decal for this door?

I’ll check HF for the polishing balls.

45DAC02C-19FC-48E8-A845-CE62114F1D86 (resized).jpeg45DAC02C-19FC-48E8-A845-CE62114F1D86 (resized).jpegD0AC5E2E-565F-4FB2-B913-46FA2A5D2117 (resized).jpegD0AC5E2E-565F-4FB2-B913-46FA2A5D2117 (resized).jpeg
    #7 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

The middle section still looks too rough for my taste. Is there a decal for this door?

No.

You need more sanding to get below the pitting in the metal from the rust.

Just FYI, PBResource may still have nee coin door faces available.

#8 1 year ago

Thanks. I’m never sure if going rougher with the sandpaper is taking off a finish or if the metal is ‘bare’ and I can keep going.

#9 1 year ago

I suspect the original coin doors aren't plated.

I just noticed the right side is crumpled from prying.

I'd probably cut my losses and just get a new door. I wouldn't waste my time trying to refurbish a door in that condition if I had another option.

#10 1 year ago

Well, that’s what my wife just said. I said,”It’s character, but prettied up.” She gave me The Look.

3 months later
    #11 1 year ago

Just ordered one of these!

Good sale price on it, too.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-1-2-hp-buffmotor.html

2 weeks later
    #12 11 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The only way to get the grain out (which are just uniform scratches from sanding) is to basically work your way down to around 1000 or 1500 grit and/or use a polishing wheel (rather than hand polishing).

I’ve got the polishing motor from Eastwood. A spiral wheel that I’m using brown compound on and a loose wheel that I’m using white compound on.

I’m working on some legs. Evaporust, spiral wheel, loose wheel, then Mother's Mag. It’s prettier than it was, but no reflections.

Should I get a stiffer wheel & rougher compound to start the process with? Maybe just use rougher compound on the spiral wheel?

I could go back to hand work and start around 400 or 600 wet, but the point of getting the motor and wheels was to make things easier.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

#13 11 months ago

The door is stainless steel. It should have an even grain running horizontally. Sand with a lower grit to get the scratches out. Don’t go above 220 grit or you will lose the grain. Wet sanding is best. It’s important to sand evenly and exactly horizontally. Use a piece of wood or whatever to sand against. Your
    hand will never sand straight horizontally. Finish with a red pad(like scotch bright). Unless you want shine/no grain, then go higher on grit and buff. You can go all the way to mirror finish. Not recommending shine on Gottlieb doors. Sacrilege

#14 11 months ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Just ordered one of these!
    Good sale price on it, too.
    https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-1-2-hp-buffmotor.html

Nice, but it won’t take pits out of metal. Legs that are beat up will never look great.

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Nice, but it won’t take pits out of metal. Legs that are beat up will never look great.

There's always silver paint…

#16 11 months ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Finish with a red pad(like scotch bright). Unless you want shine/no grain, then go higher on grit and buff.

But we're still talking manual polishing, with a wood block or whatever, right? I thought the motor would take some time out of the job on large pieces.

#17 11 months ago

And rest easy, this project is Wms. Doodle Bug. But I’m not not above making all metal shiny.

#18 11 months ago

If you want shiny, you need high rpm’s. Buffing with the machine you bought will do the job.

#19 11 months ago

I was getting mirror shiny on small pieces like door frames and shooter knobs by hand. Folks here said I was wasting my time and needed a wheel. The wheel was for larger pieces like coin doors and legs. Maybe I’ll get better mirror finish, but I was getting good results

#20 11 months ago

Try using the spiral pad with the white compound.
    I've got a box of Eastwood pads and compounds and it's the only ones I use now.
    That combination seems to work great for me without using anything else.

#21 11 months ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I’ve got the polishing motor from Eastwood. A spiral wheel that I’m using brown compound on and a loose wheel that I’m using white compound on.
    I’m working on some legs. Evaporust, spiral wheel, loose wheel, then Mother's Mag. It’s prettier than it was, but no reflections.
    Should I get a stiffer wheel & rougher compound to start the process with? Maybe just use rougher compound on the spiral wheel?
    I could go back to hand work and start around 400 or 600 wet, but the point of getting the motor and wheels was to make things easier.
    Would appreciate any suggestions.

The kind of scratches you are working with you need more aggressive stuff.

400 isn't rough enough for the scratches you were facing. You probably need 220. Obviously the lower grit you are using, the more careful you need to be in terms of using anything powered. You also didn't need to go above 2000 grit if you weren't already working towards a mirror finish.

White compound on loose wheels is like plastic polishing. You need a tighter wheel if you are working to remove grain, etc. Green compound on a spiral wheel is my 'goto' for normal pinball polishing. It should take off ball trails and leave a high gloss finish without any additional rework.

600 grit is my goto graining grit if I recall. 800-1200->++ if you are going for that polished finish. But unless I'm trying to go mirror, I generally just stop with the green compound. Now a days I just use red and green scotchbrite pads if working heavy issues, then follow-up on the buffing wheel for polish. Using sandpaper only if I know I have to remove material to hide the defect.

For most parts, I start with green, and if there is still grooves or scratches, start using sandpaper moving your way down until you can see the defect being evened out. Then work your way back up in grit. Then use either the buffer wheel, or you can get green compound dremel-like accessories that you can use directly on the piece.

On that door, I would be moving down in grit until I see the lines break up with my sanding.. then start working up towards 600. The green compound on a mold can REALLY do some heavy cutting on its own saving lots of sanding.

#22 11 months ago

flynnibus
    Thanks.

I just got a stick of black from HF last night because Eastwood recommended black as the first step. I’ll see how it does, except if I already have green I’ll try that first instead.

For these practice runs, I’m working on legs. I’ll move on to the coin door when I know better what I’m doing.

2 weeks later
    #23 11 months ago

Hand sanded then polished a leg yesterday.

Polished the other three legs on the wheels tonight, with a different set of polishing compounds. Black on spiral wheel, green on spiral wheel, blue on loose wheel.

Then hand polished with Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish and finished on a loose wheel.

Can’t tell the difference, except real close up the hand sanded one is a better.

I could try another combo of wheels. I could go down to rougher grit to start with by hand. It all looks very nice, matte finish. But it seems like I ought to be able to get a clear mirror finish.

Strangely, the outside edges of each leg have a uniform mirror finish. It was there before I started. Wonder why.

IMG_0061 (resized).jpegIMG_0061 (resized).jpegIMG_0062 (resized).jpegIMG_0062 (resized).jpeg
    #24 11 months ago

What is this?

Why is it still shiny after 40 years and why can’t I get the rest of it to polish up like that?

IMG_2527 (resized).jpegIMG_2527 (resized).jpeg
    #25 11 months ago

Your photos are a little blurry but it doesn’t look like you are working with bare metal… but something plated with pitting.

That chrome is very dull making me doubt what is going on. I would be approaching plated materials differently then the steps outlined previously. Played materiel you must be less aggressive with as you can burn through it. I don’t really do any chrome myself… but i’d probably would be starting at1000 if metal polish wasn’t getting the results I wanted

#26 11 months ago

Turns out, the polishing produced a result very close to the new legs on my CCR SE, almost indistinguishable, so I am satisfied.

Just curious about that shiny edge on Wms legs. These are from Doodle Bug. I have a Wms Jolly Roger with the same edge. Wonder what's going on with that. The edge is there before I did any work and the work I did on his set hasn’t changed it. It’s weird.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polishing-metal-grain-or-scratches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.