20160216_203923_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
090_(resized).jpg
007_(resized).jpg
004_(resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

My sister called and said she had a friend whose dad had an "old" game sitting in the garage for years with the glass off and wanted to know if I was interested in fixing it for her or buying it. I told her I don't work on old EM games but I would go with her to take a look to see if I can give her friend any info on it. When I got there to my surprise was not an old EM but a dirty, really REALLY dirty Getaway. Her dad didn't want the playfield glass to break so he removed it for safe keeping a few years ago, and lots of crud built up on the playfield,plastics etc.
004_(resized).jpg
007_(resized).jpg
after cleaning it for the whole weekend it really looks nice underneath...I still have the supercharger to finish cleaning and re installing but overall very happy with the results so far...
090_(resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Nice!

#3 5 years ago

OK, ill ask first......How much did you score it for?

#4 5 years ago

Whoa! Wasn't expecting that!

#5 5 years ago

nice work! bringing another machine back to its glory to be enjoyed, thats what its all about!

#6 5 years ago

Awesome. I love these stories and pics.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#7 5 years ago

Nice find!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

OK, ill ask first......How much did you score it for?

$1,000
Its all there and the only thing that does not work is the magnets for the supercharger, the game is throwing an opto error so its probably related. I have not had a chance to troubleshoot yet as it was too dirty to work on. Minor battery acid on battery holder only that needs some attention.

#9 5 years ago

GREAT Job.. Looks fantastic.

#10 5 years ago

Sweet cosmo!

#12 5 years ago

Awesome find.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Her dad didn't want the playfield glass to break so he removed it for safe keeping a few years ago

Nice job man, applying those Arcade Expo fixup skillz!

#14 5 years ago

Very nice turnaround! Opto is likely out on one of the sets. Pretty easy fix on the supercharger. Congrats!

#15 5 years ago

What part of the country was this from? I couldn't really see any planking from sitting in a garage for that long.

#16 5 years ago

Note to self: go door to door to ask if people have any "old" pinball machines they want to get rid of because they are too dirty.

#17 5 years ago

Sweet find, looks awesome!

#18 5 years ago

What a deal, cramer always was a lucky dude

image_(resized).jpeg

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

What part of the country was this from? I couldn't really see any planking from sitting in a garage for that long.

I'm guessing So Cal. Where currently it is very hot and very dry.

#20 5 years ago

and here I thought it was going to be a fish tales. Had me fooled.

#21 5 years ago

wow, NICE! she sure cleaned up purty!

#22 5 years ago

Great job! I love hearing stories just like this, awesome score.......

#23 5 years ago

Dang that's nice. Man you can't beat that. Enjoy!

#24 5 years ago

When I polish a turd I use Dr. Guffs Premium Turd Polish.
Accept no substitutes.

http://guffsturdpolish.com/index.html

"With these old machines my routine maintenance schedule uses a can a day".
Jimmy Nine Fingers
Fort Wayne, NJ.

#25 5 years ago

Great deal! Looks like a fun rehab of a great game!

#26 5 years ago

Very cool. Nice work.

1 month later
#27 5 years ago

Final update.....game is working 100% and I brought it to my sisters and set it up in the garage....my brother in law has been wanting to get into the hobby so I thought this would be the perfect chance...I did remove some of the red leds out of the back box after this photo was taken... it was too much

20160216_203923_(resized).jpg

#28 5 years ago

From that last picture you posted, the cabinet looks pretty good. How is the cabinet overall?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

From that last picture you posted, the cabinet looks pretty good. How is the cabinet overall?

it probably looks better in that pic than in person...has a decent amount of fade and some dings/scratches

#31 5 years ago

untitled_(resized).png

#32 5 years ago

Nice job!

#33 5 years ago

Did you locate and use that original, precious $25 piece of playfield glass?!! Awesome job man!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside