11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by NJGecko
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I gave up on the idea of a buffing wheel due to my limited space at home...but I do have a Dremel. Wondering if anyone has any advice about whether it's possible to clean up ball guides with one?

If so, let me know how...and what attachments, media, etc?

#2 11 years ago

There is a buffing kit for Dremel tools with polishing compound and a couples of different attachments like a cotton wheel and some others cotton tips.
    Never did ball guides but was using it for detailing on small parts!

#3 11 years ago

If you're looking to just clean up ball lines I've found they work well using the wire wheel attachments and save a lot of time over manually sanding. If you're trying to polish them to a mirror if finish, not so much. It will take you forever and you wil get very uneven results. You really need a buffing wheel and need to do it outside or in a garage at least as rouge gets everywhere.

#4 11 years ago

Never try and buff a ramp withe a Dremel...

#5 11 years ago

I've used a dremel with the polishing discs to polish ball guides. Wipe some mothers metal polish on it and polish away. It will take some time but comes out nice and shiny.

#6 11 years ago

It won't work. You will ware out tip after tip after tip and get nowhere. You will ware out your dremal tool. I have tried it. If you want them polished buy a grinder with a polishing wheel. If you want them regrained buy a sandpaper flap wheel that will fit on a drill. Even with a polishing wheel on a drill you will spend hours, burn your fingers, bend your stainless pieces and more. I had a piece fly out of my hand and hit me right between the eyes cutting me from the base of my nose to underneath my eyebrows. If it would have hit me in the eye I would be blind in that eye. It isn't easy. Now I only polish the part that you will be able to see when the game is assembled.

#8 11 years ago

Fantastic...I like answers like this!

Half of the responses say it works OK, half say don't do it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polish-ball-guides-with-dremel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.