Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Andyzola87
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6934 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170529_203814932 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170529_203338555 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I have an issue with my Police Force that is more annoying than anything. When I start up the machine after being off for awhile, it often has issues. Maybe a third of the time it starts up normally. The rest of the time it does one of two things. The most common scenario is that the GI will come on, but no displays. There will also be a hissing noise coming of of the speakers. The other times it comes on with all the GI, all segments lit on displays, and the police car attempting to move. I've had it pull out the police car belt this way as it doesn't know where the car actually is. The reason I say this is only annoying is that if I turn it off and turn it back on, it almost always boots right up. l don't think I've ever had to turn it on more than twice and then it plays normally. Any ideas on how to fix this? I replaced the batteries, but that's all I've tried. Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

I've read that this might be related to the power on reset circuit. Anyone have experiencing fixing the issue by addressing the components of that circuit?

#3 2 years ago

I think you may have power supply issues more than main board issues. I bet your 5 volts is a tad low on start up. If your power supply has never had the caps replaced, start there and replace them all. They have had a hard life and are cheap to replace. I bet after that your game will run quiet and stable every time you turn it on.

And if the car trouble persists...reflow the solders on the relay board under the playfield by the car motor . They all seem to have bad solders.
Good luck.

#4 2 years ago

Can you post a picture of the MPU and the power supply?

#5 2 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I've attached pics of both of those boards. Thanks for the advice on the caps, I'm sure that's never been done. I did have a squirrely acting car and reflowed the solder on the relay and now it works great.

IMG_20170529_203338555 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170529_203814932 (resized).jpg

#6 2 years ago

yup redo all the caps on the power supply as they are all original and install a remote battery box asap or NVram is even better.

Your game will love you for it.

#7 2 years ago

redo r1 and r4 on the PS as well with 1 or 2 watt flame proof 39k ohm resistors, much better than stock. If they start to go/or are gone your high voltage will suffer making the displays not display as bright or at all.

#8 2 years ago

Measure voltages before doing anything

2 weeks later
#9 2 years ago

just bought game about in may of this year, I love this game, only I have recently had problems, jet bumpers are going off with out the ball hitting them, also 2 balls come up at start of game and again during game play, police car also takes off when it should'nt. I am new to pinball. but i have replaced rubbers thru out the game and waxed up board with carnuva wax. But have not touched anything I am not sure about. If anybody out their knows what it might be, please let me know, thank you!

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from buffalobob:

just bought game about in may of this year, I love this game, only I have recently had problems, jet bumpers are going off with out the ball hitting them, also 2 balls come up at start of game and again during game play, police car also takes off when it should'nt. I am new to pinball. but i have replaced rubbers thru out the game and waxed up board with carnuva wax. But have not touched anything I am not sure about. If anybody out their knows what it might be, please let me know, thank you!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

I've read that this might be related to the power on reset circuit. Anyone have experiencing fixing the issue by addressing the components of that circuit?

I think this is where you should focus your attention. I just fixed this same issue on my PF this week. I had the same symptoms as you: Game not booting regularly, scratchy loud speaker on startup, GI on but no displays. I replaced all my caps and resistors on my power supply (needed to be done anyways) and that did not fix the problem. I removed my CPU from the machine and bench tested it and it was still having the inconstant boot issue, so I knew my problem was on the CPU itself. Your problem is most likely cap C30 Which is part of the POR circuit. I pulled and replaced that cap with a 22uf 50 volt cap I had on hand and it fixed my problem. The cap I pulled from the game was out of spec reading 16uf which was not allowing the game to boot consistanly. I would start by replacing that one cap. It's easy to replace and most likely your issue IMO. However replacing all your Power supply caps is also a good idea.

IMG_6934 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
New Kensington, PA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside