(Topic ID: 244507)

Police Force right flipper range Score trick or glitch?

By DirkAkron

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DirkAkron
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3347e (resized).jpg
PF switch martix (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello everyone. I just found a glitch to add points with the right flipper on the Williams Police Force Pinball. When the ball enters the shooter lane, and before shooting the ball into the firing range for a score... I can press the right flipper multiple times to choose the firing range score I want... then when I use the shooter to send the ball up, the score I picked will be added to my total.
Can anyone else confirm this on their Police for pinball, please?
Thanks,
Dirk

#2 4 years ago

Weird. Not supposed to happen like that. Did you just get this game? Maybe somebody rewired the target range spinner to the flipper. What happens if you put a ball in the shooter lane and manually spin the spinner?

#3 4 years ago

Yes, I just got the game. It appears unmolested and all original, it wasn't used for the last 15 years, not plugged in until I got it.
The game plays as it should, normal and completely in every way... I just happened to notice if I flip the right flipper before shooting the ball I can repeat press the right flipper and have the range score move up just like when the spinner goes around. Who would hit the filler before shooting the ball anyway ( other than me lol). If I don't hit the right flipper before using the ball shooter it just plays like the Police Force PB should (the spinner works like normal).
Seriously, I would like to try this on another Police Force machine. If confirmed its only a hidden cheat on my game, I will dig deep to find out why.
Thanks,
Dirk

#4 4 years ago

Please excuse me while I talk out my rear and try to pretend like I know what I'm talking about:

Sounds like a switch matrix issue to me. The right flipper button and spinner are on the same row. Go into the switch test and see if the right flipper switch is triggering the spinner switch. If so, it sounds like you should check for a short between the Green - Blue (on the spinner switch) and Green - Grey (on the right flipper button switch) wires as the manual suggests.

Wow...that was some pro sounding talk there, but seriously...that is my first guess since they are on the same switch matrix row.

I hope this helps to track down the issue.
PF switch martix (resized).jpgPF switch martix (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago

Wow, Impressive... I believe you have me going in the right direction. Let me check this out and I will get back to you.
Thanks,
Dirk

#6 4 years ago

Update, I have not had much time yet to work on the matrix, but I did discover that that entire row is causing the matrix to misfire score, randomly activate the skill switch spinner score. All in ROW 1. Sometimes all the switches act normal, but randomly trip the skill spinner for score.

#7 4 years ago

Ok, I confirmed the CPU is working properly when using the jump wire with J10 AND J8 removed. Assuming its a shorted diode, but all the diodes check ok with my DMM for all the switches in row 1. Except I didn't find a diode for the spinner. When I unplug the spinner, everything works perfect (except no spinner score). So, do I need a new spinner Opto board, or am I missing the diode someplace? (is the opto the diode for the spinner switch?). If so, can it be tested?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Dirk

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from DirkAkron:

Ok, I confirmed the CPU is working properly when using the jump wire with J10 AND J8 removed. Assuming its a shorted diode, but all the diodes check ok with my DMM for all the switches in row 1. Except I didn't find a diode for the spinner. When I unplug the spinner, everything works perfect (except no spinner score). So, do I need a new spinner Opto board, or am I missing the diode someplace? (is the opto the diode for the spinner switch?). If so, can it be tested?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Dirk

Sounds like you are on the right track. I don't have my Police Force anymore so I don't know what further help I could be.

BUMP!

If you don't get an answer on here you might want to post and ask in a dedicated Police Force thread.

Good luck,

Doug

1 week later
#9 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Please excuse me while I talk out my rear and try to pretend like I know what I'm talking about:
Sounds like a switch matrix issue to me. The right flipper button and spinner are on the same row. Go into the switch test and see if the right flipper switch is triggering the spinner switch. If so, it sounds like you should check for a short between the Green - Blue (on the spinner switch) and Green - Grey (on the right flipper button switch) wires as the manual suggests.
Wow...that was some pro sounding talk there, but seriously...that is my first guess since they are on the same switch matrix row.
I hope this helps to track down the issue.
[quoted image]

Update... Everything els that I could check did checked ok so I decided to replace the spinner opto board with the new reproduction by Great Lakes Modular... part number PF-STB. That fixed the switch matrix issue. Afterthought, I'm not sure if the resistor was bad or the opto diode was bad. Either way, I recommend the PF-STB board. It was just $20.00

Thanks again,
Dirk
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3347e (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3347e (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/police-force-righ-flipper-range-score-trick-or-glitch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.