Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Firebaall
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Just wanted to take the temperature on this table. I used to play it when I was a kid and haven't been able to since then. But when I was 8 or 9 I remember it being amazing. Of course my opinion would be different now but I'm wondering how fun and deep it is for people that own it. I know this is completely an opinion but for those that own it, why do you own it? What keeps you coming back if anything? I may have a chance to buy it from a friend but I have no way to play it beforehand. I just don't remember enough about it. Thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

I like the game. It is simple to follow. A little shallow in the rules but fun nonetheless. A lot of people do not like the take high score option on the last ball but it's whatever. If the price is right is a good pin. It seems like a lot of people are looking for one lately

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. The price isn't bad but I don't have the option for having a bunch of pins in my collection at one time. So I'm trying to gauge whether it would be worth it. Maybe for a few months. But the logistics of getting it might be a beating so that is what I'm struggling with. I want to know that I could at least get 6 months of enjoyment before I'm tired of it. But I know I'm the only one that can answer it. I was just trying to remember if there was any real hook to keep you coming back. I have Whirlwind now and for the left ramp shot alone it always keeps me happy.

#4 4 years ago

I just picked one up on a trade and am only 4 hours away - PM me if interested. It's unshopped so I can't comment on how fun it is (I refuse to play a dirty pin!)

#5 4 years ago

I've had mine for a couple of years. Decent enough game considering its a sub thousand dollar pin from 1989. One gets what they pay for.
For certain, it won't have game play anywhere close to whirlwind, which is one of the top pins of the pre dmd period.

#6 4 years ago

I think the price on this one is climbing. It seems like the value of about all system 11s is on the rise. The game is definitely not on par with whirlwind but it is a top 30 game so not a real fair comparison. If you have a game like whirlwind then police force should have a bit of staying power in your collection

#7 4 years ago

shallow to say the least

okay at best

didn't last long in my lineup

I guess to kids just playing a game it has some odd-neat fun factor.... but to a pinballer or in a lineup its actually pretty stupid... harsh I guess but the animals being cops chasing other mean animals sort of thing... ehhhhh

definitely do not pay more than $1K for it

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

shallow to say the least
okay at best
didn't last long in my lineup
I guess to kids just playing a game it has some odd-neat fun factor.... but to a pinballer or in a lineup its actually pretty stupid... harsh I guess but the animals being cops chasing other mean animals sort of thing... ehhhhh
definitely do not pay more than $1K for it

This is what I was slightly worried about. Seemed like a pretty stupid theme now that I'm older. But for some reason was one of my favs as a kid. I just can't seem to pull the trigger even if I get it for cheap. I need something with some sort of substance.

#9 4 years ago

I share the same nostalgia for the game and the same concern. If the game is truly just for you alone, it's probably not enough to keep you engaged. However, for the occasional party and for kids, the simplicity of rules and the take-high-score feature become advantages rather than disadvantages.

#10 4 years ago

In the middle for system 11's. I had to buy F-14 for nostalgia but I think that has shallow rules as well. You know what though...it is still a favorite to me. You just might always want it until you do get one.

#11 4 years ago

I didn't play it much when it was out originally, so it doesn't have any nostalgia for me. I wouldn't get one for me unless I got it for a song, but a coworker of my wife has one in their basement and I enjoy playing it when I'm there for parties. It's their only pin, so I don't have a choice. It's definitely on the shallow end of the System 11 pool.

#13 4 years ago

Argh. Tough decision. The whole thing is I want it for the nostalgia but I'm just afraid I'll be disappointed with the "end game".

#14 4 years ago

My 2 cents is, go for it and get your nostalgia fix. It can be a lot of what this hobby is about. If you buy it right, there is a good chance that it won't cost much, if anything to enjoy it for awhile.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from shoemakesmusic:

Argh. Tough decision. The whole thing is I want it for the nostalgia but I'm just afraid I'll be disappointed with the "end game".

If you can get it for a good price and it's in decent shape, go for it. You can always set it up harder if you are finding that it's too easy. Some of my favorite pins (FH, WW, Pin-bot) are from when I was playing pinball in college and playing them takes me back to that time, so I'm totally on board with the nostalgia factor.

If you end up getting bored with it, as long as you don't pay stupid money for it you should be able to sell it without having to sit on it. System 11 games do seem to be getting a lot of interest. It's got wonderful artwork by Python which is always a plus in my book.

#16 4 years ago

That's what I would do. If the price is right but it. Play it. Sell or trade it. If you don't you will always want it for that nostalgia factor. I have had PinBot for years for the exact same reason. I'll never sell it but it definitely gets played the least.

#17 4 years ago

My PF isn't going anywhere for a long time. The game gets a bad rap mainly because of the unbalanced center ramp shot. I cranked it up to 8 shots in a row before millions and my ramp is a little jumpy so it doesn't have to be an issue.

I've also heard people say that completing an animal will spot one that you need, so it doesn't matter which animal you hit. That is also not true, or was fixed via a ROM revision, not sure which.

Shooting for top cop is fun, putting the animals in jail is kinda wacky, but maybe I'm just into that. Also, the game has a legit toy which isn't on a lot of System 11 games, a moving police car that releases the balls for multiball.

Shoot for top cop, shoot for animals for jackpot, got for multiball, it's got as much to do as most system 11's, good audio, good play field layout. Really tough to keep the multiball going on this one.

I think the game is awesome.

#18 4 years ago

I have owned the game twice and always find it to be a all around fun game. Friends dig it, and kids dig it. Surprisingly a crowd pleaser. Looking to sell it mine a again to make room for a new system 11. Gotta love those system 11s .

#19 4 years ago

I love system 11 that's for sure. Definitely one of the appealing factors here. Well you guys have definitely helped make me think maybe I'm not crazy for wanting it to just purely relive some memories. I think I'm leaning towards getting it even if it's just to get it out of my system for a few months. I'm so indecisive which is a blessing and a curse.

#20 4 years ago

I just finished shopping mine out. I'm liking it more now for sure.

image.jpg

#21 4 years ago

Looks great!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from shoemakesmusic:

I love system 11 that's for sure. Definitely one of the appealing factors here. Well you guys have definitely helped make me think maybe I'm not crazy for wanting it to just purely relive some memories. I think I'm leaning towards getting it even if it's just to get it out of my system for a few months. I'm so indecisive which is a blessing and a curse.

I have not played this particular game much, but if you can get the game at a fair price I would do it. Most of the system 11's are great games with just the right amount of depth and complexity.

The worst case scenario is that you end up selling the game a year from now. Although I suspect you will end up keeping the game around for a while since the game has the nostalgia factor for you.

#23 4 years ago

It's a System 11, how can it be bad? LOL

Seriously though, where are people finding these under 1K?

I would honestly like to get one at that price.

Chris

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

It's a System 11, how can it be bad? LOL
Seriously though, where are people finding these under 1K?
I would honestly like to get one at that price.
Chris

I know right. I would not let mine go for $1000. I'll just keep it.

#25 4 years ago

I would sell mine for $1000.

#26 4 years ago

This game has fatal flaws, namely the center ramp. I shopped one out and had rolled the score (99M+) by the 5th test game, and that's with yellow rubbers on the center ramp entrance. If you're playing for score, this is absolutely a one-shot game all day, every day, no exceptions. If you can force yourself to play all aspects of a game, or are just bad at repetitive ramp shots, it might have a bit of staying power. Disconnecting the center ramp 'made' switch also (sorta) fixes the problem.

Bottom line: Taxi does everything PF does, just much better and more challenging.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

This game has fatal flaws, namely the center ramp. I shopped one out and had rolled the score (99M+) by the 5th test game, and that's with yellow rubbers on the center ramp entrance. If you're playing for score, this is absolutely a one-shot game all day, every day, no exceptions. If you can force yourself to play all aspects of a game, or are just bad at repetitive ramp shots, it might have a bit of staying power. Disconnecting the center ramp 'made' switch also (sorta) fixes the problem.
Bottom line: Taxi does everything PF does, just much better and more challenging.

I just don't think taxi is a fair comparison either. It is a timeless classic and price is showing that with nice taxis coming close to $2000 these days.

#28 4 years ago

My friend had one on cl all working nice condition for a long while for 1050 finally sold today I wanted to get it but im low on room and need more challenging and better games if I had room id have it tho its no whirlwind

#29 4 years ago

My center ramp is a little jumpy, so it's not an issue on mine.

Quoted from metallik:

This game has fatal flaws, namely the center ramp

#30 4 years ago

If you have flipper hop on the right inlane making the center ramp hard, that sorta fixes the problem as well.

As for Taxi, it's a perfect comparison, because it's practically the same ruleset as PF, just a different playfield. Collect passengers/villians. Collecting one lights lock for 2ball MB. 2ball has minor objective but no jackpot. Score Jackpot by collecting all passengers/villians then making timed shot. Even the skillshots are similar. The one difference: Taxi's playfield layout, specifically the use of ramps, smokes PF's layout.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If you have flipper hop on the right inlane making the center ramp hard, that sorta fixes the problem as well.
As for Taxi, it's a perfect comparison, because it's practically the same ruleset as PF, just a different playfield. Collect passengers/villians. Collecting one lights lock for 2ball MB. 2ball has minor objective but no jackpot. Score Jackpot by collecting all passengers/villians then making timed shot. Even the skillshots are similar. The one difference: Taxi's playfield layout, specifically the use of ramps, smokes PF's layout.

I get what you are saying about the rule set for sure. The layout and theme make all the difference. Taxi is a clear top 100 game and police force is just not. I dont think they are a fair comparison because of it. I think police force is still a solid mid level system 11 that gets a lot of hate because of the repetitive ramp shot and the animal theme.

#32 4 years ago

Police Force is good for kids or absolute newbs, otherwise pick up just about any other system 11 for more staying-power.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Cliffy's fixed return guides fix that problem and make every system 11 game more enjoyable: http://passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

#34 4 years ago

Shoot the center ramp....

I think that pretty much sums up Police Force.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 21.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside