Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200603_204227 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20200603_204030 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20200603_204009 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20200603_204018 - Copy (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

The jackpot display is completely out in Police Force.

It's a slave display that connects to the master display board with a ribbon cable. figured out the+90, -100 voltage is good going into the master but bad coming out on the ribbon cable. It's only at about+40, -40 volts for some reason.

Had a friend measure the voltage on a Taxi jackpot display, and it was closer to the +90, -100 going out to the ribbon cable.

Looking at the schematic for the master display board, connector J4 is used for the slave ribbon cable. All I can see is R9 and R69 are in series with the +90, -100V supply lines. Both of those resistors are 1 Mega ohm 1/4 watt resistors and they test good. They don't look burnt. With the red probe on J4 pin 12, black probe connected to backbox ground strap, voltage was about +40. Similarly voltage on J4 pin 2 was around -40volts. However when I put the red probe on the opposite side of R9, voltage was around +80 volts. I couldn't get a probe onto the opposite side of R69, because it's behind the display glass on the master.

Was able to swap in the slave display from a Riverboat Gambler and it surprisingly worked. Should I replace with another display or try to track down the cause of low voltage? What could be doing that besides R9 and R69?

#2 3 years ago

Please post a picture of the non-working display.

#3 3 years ago

Just for clarity. Is it the original display or a newer display from Pinscore, or elsewhere?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-shows-jackpot-value-all-the-time

#4 3 years ago

I found this on some old guides I dug up. Looks like it may be worth checking out R62-R68 on the display board.

"Taxi and Police Force use a slightly different style of display board. Both these games use the two 16 digit alphanumeric score display, but also have an extra third 7-digit numeric score display. In order to accommodate this, the standard system11 alpha-numeric display board was modified slightly and a second ribbon cable connector was added to the board.

Taxi and Police Force have an alpha-numeric display at the top in the backbox, and an alpha-numeric display below it in the backbox which is only used for numerics. Diabled on the bottom 16-digit has the following disabled: right side hash mark, some commas and periods. These item are removed from the bottom 16-digit display so the circuitry could be used to drive the additional 7-digit numeric display. The bottom 16 digit display on these games only uses 8 segments (the middle segment of the display is used to make the number zero into an eight, which is two segments). This leaves six segments and the "comma" left unused. The unused segments are then used to drive the extra display. This is the reason there's a second place to hook up a ribbon cable on the Taxi/Police Force display boards.

The Taxi/Police Force style display board can be converted to work in the other 16 digit alpha-numeric system 11 games, with a small modification. Simply install the missing seven resistors into locations R62 to R68 on the Taxi/Police Force display board.

Likewise if a display from a BK2000 was used in a Taxi, a few things have to be added: U3 (UDN6118) and resistors R9-R13 and R15-R18 (all 10K resistors) Also remove R67, R65, R64, R62, R60, R57, R56, and R54.

Banzai run also uses a unique display board. The Master display board is the same as pre-Taxi games, but the display board itself is unique. It is a single sided board and often has delaminated board traces. Remember Banzai uses two 7 digit alpha-numeric displays and two 7 digit numeric displays."

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

Just for clarity. Is it the original display or a newer display from Pinscore, or elsewhere?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-shows-jackpot-value-all-the-time

Original display. Found BubbaPin was selling displays from Comet so I purchased one from him. Will see if that one works.

3 weeks later
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

so I purchased one from him. Will see if that one works.

Replacement arrived and I plugged it into the game, works perfectly. Tested in display test and all segments working.

Not sure why the voltage was low last time I measured. Didn't have time to measure it again with the replacement.

Attaching pictures requested by PinballManiac40

IMG_20200603_204009 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200603_204009 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200603_204018 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200603_204018 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200603_204030 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200603_204030 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200603_204227 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200603_204227 - Copy (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

Is it the original display or a newer display from Pinscore, or elsewhere?

original

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 109.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Electronics
Mod Magic!

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 20.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/police-force-jackpot-display-is-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.