Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by buffaloatx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 18 days ago

Hey guys, I recently picked up a PF, overall it's in good shape, but recently the flippers have started dying for no apparent reason.
I've checked the voltages to the coils when they are working, flippers read around 65 volts(not under load) When they die I'm not getting any voltage at the coils. I've tested all the fuses on the aux driver board (all of them tested good out of circuit) and re-flowed the solder on all of the fuse housings with no results. All of the IDC connectors are unburnt and the male pins look untarnished.
If I leave the game off for a day or two every thing seems fine for about a day or so before the flippers die again.
Any ideas?

#2 17 days ago

No voltage at the coils what about voltage farther back in the circuit? You need to trace it back as far as you can go to find the dying components. The flipper circuit is pretty straigtforward - transformer to bridge rectifier/fuses, relay, then the interconnect board. It's probably going to end up being a cracked header on one of those boards.

#3 17 days ago

Thanks slochar, I failed to notice that the flippers went through the interconnect board. I'll do some digging and report back.

2 weeks later
#4 3 days ago

Sorry for the delay, the real job has kept me too busy to work on this.
So there were a few suspect solder joints I found on the interconnect board, but they were mainly on the switch rows and GI headers, but since I had the board out of the game I re flowed every header and fuse holder and put the board back in the game. So far both flippers are working and seem a bit stronger than before.
I'm going to wait until after our Jurassic Park Launch event this weekend to mark this one solved, if it can take the abuse of a 3 hour match play tournament, then I'll be fairly certain it's fixed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lee, NEW JERSEY
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside