You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
20151220_171811_1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Trying to diagnosing the diverter.
Entrance ramp works in test. During game is scores and makes a sound, but won't activate the diverter arm.
Second ramp switch (back left under plastics) works in test but during game when triggered, it causes diverter to pulse about 5 times.

Basically the diverter never activates when it should. I am going to pull pf to get at the mech, but wondering if anyone had any ideas?
Also what kinda grease to regrease that can with? Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

Thought I posted this already.
I had the same issue and replaced this:

20151220_171811_1.jpg20151220_171811_1.jpg

#3 8 years ago

You can see the notch inside of the cam is worn away. I didnt use any grease on the new one. I did add a nylon washer on the post before the cam went on to improve the angle.

The playfield needs to be pulled out and up to access the back but it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Test the new cam movement manually with your finger before putting the playfield back

#4 8 years ago

Does that first ramp switch have any bearing to the diverter? Starting to think the diverter is controlled by the second switch on that ramp.... The switch after the diverter.

Also: did you guys just pull up pf and rest it on the wooden rails inside the cab?

#5 8 years ago

Not sure what you mean by first ramp switch. There is a gate about 5" up the right ramp but I don't think it does anything but trigger sounds.

Behind the car (when its in the up position) is a switch on the side of the ramp when triggered twice will start multiball. This will open the diverter and put future right ramp shots down the wireform to the left flipper (right ramp lamp is lit yellow 'spot'. It stays open during multiball and once back to single ball will stay open until you get another criminal back in jail, then it goes back to right lamp green lit 'Lock' and the diverter closes.

#6 8 years ago

Pull it. image.jpegimage.jpeg

#7 8 years ago

Looks nice and clean. Did you figure out if it was a switch issue or a cam issue?

#8 8 years ago

Cam is all gunked up. Cleaned it. Reinstalled and seems to activate better.

Will reinstall pf to test in the morning.

#9 8 years ago

Well reinstalled it and still not locking into position. My spring is now a bit stretched out, and of course replacements are available. I did order a new cam, so hoping that may help the situation.

Question: should I re-lube the cam when it comes in? What sort of lube?

#10 8 years ago

When I tried to clean my old one, it mostly worked before putting things back together. Never worked once everything was back. Ordered a new one and did not grease it. Worked like a charm and still does. The machine is now on route, so will get more plays than at the house. Will see how things hold up.

#11 8 years ago

Exactly how mine is. When pf is out of the cab, the mech will work pretty well when I manually plunge it. Then when I put pf back into cab, it acts up during game play. It's gotta just be the cam plastic. My spring is also a bit loose, but I can tighten it. Hopefully this isn't the problem as much as needing a new cam plastic.

For reference, I just pulled the playfield up and out, and laid it on the side of the cab as seen above. Super easy actually.

#12 8 years ago

I have a cam if you need one Blackbeard

#13 8 years ago

Thanks bud. Already ordered. Should do the trick.

1 week later
#14 8 years ago

Just to recap and close the thread:

I installed the new cam plastic with a new spring I had lying around. I cleaned out all the old lube and relubed a bit with Teflon lube I use for my bike chain. Installed and now working fine.

I read up a bit on this issue, and found the most people had a hard time because the assembly is at the back of the pf. It was really easy to pull out the pf and sit it upright on the side of the cab to make the repair (see pic above). Trying to fix this with pf still in cab would've been borderline impossible.

#15 8 years ago

Where did you order the cam and what was the part number ?

#16 8 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8090

You can find the cam at a lot of places, but I purchased from Marcos.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Just to recap and close the thread:
I installed the new cam plastic with a new spring I had lying around. I cleaned out all the old lube and relubed a bit with Teflon lube I use for my bike chain.

You seemed dead set on adding some sort of lubricant. I thought I had read somewhere on here to just install it dry.

Not questioning your decision but wondering if you based it on personal experience, somebody's recommendation that I didn't see , or just a gut feeling

#18 8 years ago

As it was applied from the factory, it just made sense. I also asked LTG and he agreed.

Plus, I tried it without lube and it didn't work right. I added the Teflon and it then worked great.

1 month later
#19 8 years ago

Bump for pinphila

#20 8 years ago

Thank you sir. Pesky issue. Looks like I am ordering parts.

#21 8 years ago

Biggest thing was to retest while pf is out. Yes a pain with the pf in that position, but needed. I could manually activate the plunger and the cam would set right, but I'd yield difference results when I put pf back in and turned on. Need to test with pf out so you're not having to pull out pf 50 times, etc.

1 year later
#22 6 years ago

Had this Police Force diverter issue with my newly acquired pin. Pulled PF, cleaned away all old grease from cam and surrounding area, cam and spring in good shape, blasted on a little silicon spray lube, re-assembled and works fine. This thread was very helpful in correcting the problem!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/police-force-diverter-diagnosis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.