Pinside_forum_7611864_7 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230705_042655717.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230704-232515~2 (resized).png
PXL_20230705_011813842~2 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230703_043854410~2 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230628_193842188 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230628_193848856 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230628_193853528 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sullivcd40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#510 2 years ago

Hello everyone, I recently picked up my first machine, a Police Force that had been sitting in someone's basement for 15 years getting almost no play. It's such a cool game and the whole family loves it. There are a few issues that I'm trying to work through but am getting a bit stuck.

The 3a, 4a, 6a, 7a, 18, 19 fail the coil test. The f4 fuse was blown and I replaced it which brought both target banks up but it blew again and the targets remained down after a game. I've checked every other fuse on the boards and they all seem fine.

I tested each solenoid with a multimeter while the game was off and they all seemed fine except the one in the top left of the backbox which controls the knocker.

I'm not sure what the next step should be. I don't want to make things worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also having the diverter issue but that sounds like it's more mechanical so I'll leave that for later.

#512 2 years ago

I cut and taped the coil in the backbox, replaced the f4 fuse, and then played a game.

The drop targets in both banks stayed down, neither sling fired, and the diverter stayed closed. I will say it felt like the game was sharper than before though. The lights seemed brighter and faster, the car moved up and down quicker, it just appeared rejuvenated for lack of a better description.

I then ran through the coil test again and had the same failures, although I heard something try to fire when I tested the right sling.

Thank your for your help Grumpy.

#514 2 years ago

Ran the test with a new fuse and the f4 popped with a bright flash when I got to the 3a diverter coil.

#516 2 years ago

I pulled the cpu board from the backbox, desoldered the q32 transistor and tested it with my multimeter set to 20k ohms. Nothing happened.

#519 2 years ago

I watched a good youtube video on the diverter issue yesterday and it's not as intimidating now. At least the playfield removal and getting the diverter cleaned up part. I have literally zero experience with any of this so I'm trying to just go one step at a time. I have been practicing soldering/desoldering on coins and was maybe a bit too eager to work on the boards. Thanks again for all your help Grumpy, I'll get the cpu board back in this morning after I get the kids to school.

#521 2 years ago

I reinstalled the cpu board with the Q-32 out.

#522 2 years ago

I pulled out the playfield and took apart the diverter assembly and cleaned the piston and cam. It is sliding smoothly now. The housing was missing a screw and was bent out of position. The coil tested fine.

#524 2 years ago

My logic probe arrived this afternoon. However, we are leaving in the morning for spring break and won't be back for 10 days so I'm going to put it aside for now. I'll read pinrepair and pinwiki a few times on the beach to make sure I'm running these tests and understanding everything correctly. Thanks again for your time Grumpy.

1 week later
#528 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

To test TTL logic circuits you need a logic probe. This the circuit you need to test. When you place the game in solenoid test, you can pause the test on a certain solenoid by locking the up/down button in the down position. When you stop on solenoid 3A it will keep trying to fire the coil. If you test U-20 pin 8 with the logic probe there should be a low with high pulses. If that is good then test base lead of Q-32 and you should have the same thing as before. Let me know what you get.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I tested u20 pin 8 with my logic probe while firing the 3a diverter solenoid repeatedly during coil test and there was a low with high pulses. I then tested base lead of Q-32 and received a low with high pulse reading as well.

I'm going to pull the playfield again and retest the diverter coil. It appears the previous owner replaced that solenoid but I don't think installed it correctly because the diverter assembly housing doesn't fit over that coil. The housing itself is only screwed in on one side with the side closest to the solenoid lugs bent out and unscrewed.

#529 2 years ago

I got the playfield back out and removed the assembly. The wires look frayed on the switch as well as the solenoid so I will resolder both. I will also remove the solenoid and flip it around so the lugs are facing the inside of the assembly as shown in the manual. The housing should fit on top of the assembly properly after this adjustment.

IMG_20220322_120030 (resized).jpgIMG_20220322_120030 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#535 2 years ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I got the playfield back out and removed the assembly. The wires look frayed on the switch as well as the solenoid so I will resolder both. I will also remove the solenoid and flip it around so the lugs are facing the inside of the assembly as shown in the manual. The housing should fit on top of the assembly properly after this adjustment.
[quoted image]

This ended up being the cause of the problems my machine was having. I reinstalled the solenoid so it was facing the right direction, installed a new rollover switch, and a new cam, and soldered a new transistor back into q32 on the cpu board. The previous owner had also added a washer under the cam. I removed that washer, tightened everything up and manually tested the assembly with the playfield removed. I put the playfield back in, fired it up, and everything worked perfectly. No f4 fuse blowing, slings kicking hard, drop targets resetting, diverter opening and closing for multiball. Except the display was now jacked up. A different thread suggested flipping the ribbon cable that connects the display to the cpu around. This solved my display issue.

#536 1 year ago

My playfield has a worn spot at the top of the right inlane where the ball is dropped from the middle ramp. Is there a way to protect this from further damage? I was thinking maybe a piece of removable mylar but I don't want to make it worse.

#539 1 year ago

That looks awesome. How many did you buy?

#541 1 year ago

Has anyone else had an issue with the ball coming back down the right ramp with the diverter closed?

#542 1 year ago

It looks like a previous owner installed a plunger assembly bracket that doesn't fit correctly and is allowing the diverter to move a little when hit with a fast shot and causing bounce backs down the ramp. Is there a way to get ahold of these hardware pieces? Marco and ebay don't have anything.

1 week later
#544 1 year ago

Does anyone have a diverter assembly to sell? I think the previous owner executed a piledriver on my playfield at some point and jacked it up.

4 weeks later
#547 1 year ago

Here is what mine has.

IMG_20220509_132126 (resized).jpgIMG_20220509_132126 (resized).jpg
#549 1 year ago

I think I'm going to remove my center ramp to clean and wax my playfield. I've never done it before. Is there anything I can really screw up while doing this?

#552 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

It's pretty straight forward. Don't lose the tiny little nylon washers on each side if the ramp switch wireforms. Ask me how I know
LOL
Chris

Thanks for this sage advice. I'm a bit nervous for the ramp entry wire. Everything else seems easy. I think once I get the middle ramp out it should be easy to clean.

6 months later
#585 1 year ago
Quoted from Ryguy80:

When set up properly, it’s a tough game to put up big scores.

What have you done to make it tougher? I saw District 82 put massive post rubbers on the center ramp, they also set the take high score to like 8 shots or something impossible like that. My left flipper has a bit of ball hop coming off the frame so even 2 in a row is really tough.

#586 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Seriously though, PF could be way way better with a rules revision.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a code revision for this game. Just a little balance in the scoring would make it way better.

1 month later
#602 1 year ago

Send me a message if you need a right ramp. I have an extra, not perfect but will do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Hardware
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Youngsville, LA
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Hardware
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sullivcd40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/police-force-club-we-enforce-the-law-of-the-jungle?tu=sullivcd40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.