Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pf1 (resized).png
pf2 (resized).png
p[f3 (resized).png
pf4 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

The backbox lights that are connect to J6-6 --F1--J7-8 are not working for some reason. DC volts is reading .05 volts or less. Based on the drawing it looks like power is supplied directly from the transformer and I should just be able to test for 5.9vac off the yellow whites off the transformer plug? If I am not getting 5.9vac off the yellow/whites then its a transformer issue? I tested continuity from yellow whites to the transformer from the lights and that is good. Or is this some problem with the interconnect board?

Thanks for any assistance!

#2 3 years ago

You didn’t say it, so I’ll ask: is the fuse good?

#3 3 years ago

Right side of the interconnect board check fuses, ( remove and use a meter) and near the fuse are any connectors burnt, ?

#4 3 years ago

Also double check any relays that are on the backboard. A lot of times these relays have cold solder joints that affect gi.

#5 3 years ago

Great questions. Fuses are fine. as all 4 fused on the interconnect board are the same right in that are f1-4 i did swap f1 with f2 and same result. The connector on the right side. where they yellow/white wires are and the yellow whites are that loop may be a part of the issue looks like those may be burnt after closer inspection. So maybe it is just an issue with j6 on the interconnect board?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from dougan1978:

Great questions. Fuses are fine. as all 4 fused on the interconnect board are the same right in that are f1-4 i did swap f1 with f2 and same result. The connector on the right side. where they yellow/white wires are and the yellow whites are that loop may be a part of the issue looks like those may be burnt after closer inspection. So maybe it is just an issue with j6 on the interconnect board?

That burnt connector is very likely your issue. Wiggle it w game on. Do lights flicker?

Snap a pic of the connector and post it

You’ll
Wanna replace both male and female connector housings.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

That burnt connector is very likely your issue. Wiggle it w game on. Do lights flicker?
Snap a pic of the connector and post it
You’ll
Wanna replace both male and female connector housings.

Any updates op?

#8 3 years ago

Ok, so i must have got tired of repairing this machine at some point and gave up on the lights. I had a new connector for it and I had the new J6 connector for the board. I rewired the connector for J6 and removed the old burnt connector on the board and put the new one on that I had. Same result. I am wonder now if it is just a fuse issue and just replacing all the fuses would help. Not really sure where to go after this.

also, wiggling didnt have an effect on the lights.

When I test continuity from the plug by the transformer to the lights that are not on I have continuity.

#9 3 years ago

Before

p[f3 (resized).pngp[f3 (resized).pngpf4 (resized).pngpf4 (resized).png
#10 3 years ago

after

pf1 (resized).pngpf1 (resized).pngpf2 (resized).pngpf2 (resized).png
#11 3 years ago

There's a relay board on the insert door of the backbox that will control the on/off function (blinking) of the GI lights.

I would look to that. A LOT of times the connector has cold joints. Reflowing the connector solves it. I believe it's sol. 11 for the relay. Page 40 of the manual shows the relay position for reference.

ALSO: as i had this issue just the other week: make sure those wires you repaired are pressed firmly into the new connector housing. There is a special tool you can use that kinda pushes them into their groove and you can feel them go in. I had THOUGHT i had all my gi wires inserted, but still they didn't light. WELL, turns out, they weren't pushed in well enough.

Your issue is something simple.. you just haven't found it yet..

#12 3 years ago

I reviewed the plug again and made sure the wires were in there deeper. When I touch the yellow/white with red lead and yellow wire with black lead on my multimeter I get 5.9vac across all pins. So I think I got the plug sorted. So the issue that remains must be with the board i am guessing. Reviewed that relay board as that is where the green and browns go and wiggled theplug on there and wires fell out of the connector. So someone set me up for failure there. However after touching the wires in to the connector all my lights came on so problem solved hopefully. Thanks all!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from dougan1978:

I reviewed the plug again and made sure the wires were in there deeper. When I touch the yellow/white with red lead and yellow wire with black lead on my multimeter I get 5.9vac across all pins. So I think I got the plug sorted. So the issue that remains must be with the board i am guessing. Reviewed that relay board as that is where the green and browns go and wiggled theplug on there and wires fell out of the connector. So someone set me up for failure there. However after touching the wires in to the connector all my lights came on so problem solved hopefully. Thanks all!

Great! relay it was.

GI issues are easy to track down. Glad it's fixed.

#14 3 years ago

Easy for you experienced folks . Wasnt too bad, and the burnt connector should have been replaced anyway so just some maintenance. I totally forgot about it and when you go to throw your LEDs in for a quick swap you end up with, ooh yeah those 2 strands of lights have been out since I got the machine. Alas all is well so I can go about my business of replacing the rest of the bulbs and putting the new ramps in. Fun machine was my first one so I have a soft spot for it, so its nice to have it all proper again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/police-force-backbox-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.