Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5BBE8DA8-B955-47A0-83C1-84CFE65F1D0B (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    choosepoke (resized).png
    1437050926895 (resized).jpg
    60535314_1345681948912954_6252426421000470528_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago

I love the idea of Pokemon as a theme. Not only does it attract all of us millennials to the game, but there is huge potential in the code. Travel the world and collect 8 gym badges and face the elite four. Try to collect all 150 pokemon. Something like X number of pop bumper hits could make a wild pokemon show up for capture (think walking in the grass to randomly start a fight). Capture a full team of pokemon for a 6 ball-multiball. Swap pokemon in and out during battles for buffs and super efficient attacks, etc (think of the light shows)

It's a dream theme for me. In a similar vein, I think Dragon Ball Z has huge potential. It may be a bit more palatable for some collectors since it's basically all about kung-fu with ridiculous over the top wrestling style characters and storylines

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from MJR8peanut:

i could see a pinball 2000 retheme into this and the pokémon appear on the glass and u shoot them to attack, capture, ect
    mjr

Or maybe something like the Stern Star Wars LCD where a pokemon you’re trying to throw the ball at will bounce from left/center/right and you have to time hitting the standup. How many shots you hit before tossing the ball affects the odds of capturing it

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Imagine a mechanical Pokeball that comes down and "captures" the ball for multiball like the T-rex in Jurassic Park. It's important for Stern to think about themes like this to start grooming the next generation of players. The only reason I started playing pinball was because I liked Star Trek and started playing ST pro on location. Now I've dropped thousands of dollars worth of quarters into Stern pinball machines over the last 5 years and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. In fact, I'm saving up for my first NIB purchase right now. I'm still relatively young (28) and couldn't give a rats ass about The Munsters as a theme, though I appreciate there are people that do. Pokemon would hit home with a lot of people my age and younger. I'm not personally a Pokemon fan, but this is a game I could easily enjoy because it's a universal, recognizable, and family-friendly theme. It would absolutely kill in home and location sales if done correctly.

They could probably do something like the 8-ball on Sharkey's Shootout. Shoot the ball up a ramp, it enters into a giant pokeball, it shakes a couple times, and either locks a ball or spits it out to return to the flipper.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

if their coders and designers dont have a passion for the pokemon theme, its going to get scrapped just like superman78 and beetlejuice.

We gotta start bugging Tim Sexton then. He's young enough to be down with the pokemon.

I think pokemon just offers so much potential from a coding perspective. Seems straightforward enough for an elevator pitch on travelling the world, collecting pokemon, collecting gym badges, and fight/trade pokemon.

So many potential light shows, audio callouts from the games, they made a buttload of anime to use as clips, The Pokemon Company licenses out a ton of stuff...

And come on, the theme song is godlike.

The original tunes are still catchy

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

To avoid excessive game delay, how about selecting with a plunger skill shot?

Well it would only be three choices. A fire/grass/water type. In the games, in particular Blue and Red, there are pros/cons to each. Grass makes the initial gyms easier, and fire the most difficult to start with. But towards the end of the game, the fire pokemon is generally much more powerful than a similarly leveled grass pokemon.

To put it in pinball terms, the different choices could relate to beginning bonuses for novice and advanced players. Something basic like grass gives longer ball saves, water makes multiball easier to start the first time, and fire could increase multiball jackpot values.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

IMHO extra balls should be awarded at a PokeCenter saucer.

I think there should be three scoops/saucers (I love the two scoops on Whirlwind/Jurassic Park with the shot through the pops between them). A mode start, a low grade reward, and then a third more difficult shot for high value rewards.

In town they could be the gym to start battles, a store to buy upgrades, and a pokecenter to get extra balls, heal the team, make trades, etc.

On the routes between towns they could be battle a trainer, find an item, and explore an area for a rare Pokémon.

2 months later
    #58 4 years ago

I doubt Pokemon is about to come out, but I like that there are Pokemon fans in there. Gives a glimmer of hope for a potential huge location theme.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I believe this to just be a rumor. No one has ever shown any proof of this. Not in a video or print interview. It's just hearsay, unless you've got proof

“J.K. Rowling doesn’t want a pinball machine at the moment. The category is not one she wants to happen,” says Sharpe

http://pavlovpinball.com/pinball-licencing-101-how-much-why-and-harry-potter/

Pretty sure Roger Sharpe is extremely credible...

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Also Harry Potter and pokemon both have mobile games made by niantic. What does this have to do with anything. Nothing. But both of these licenses have become looser with their IP in the last 5 years.

I think the main issue was always about the game ending up mostly in bars.

The games by Niantic are probably an easier sell because they're about walking around and visiting all sorts of places.

I think there will be a Harry Potter game someday, but likely when Rowling is even less involved with how the property is licensed. It would be interesting how they tackle the game. If they go pure books with all original assets, or if they would license the Warner Brothers movies and all of those actors/videos/audio/music. (I'd prefer books. I was young enough to enjoy the first few novels, but never saw more than the first movie)

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

It’s 20 years old and was played by kids to adults when it came out so plenty of age range today

Not to mention any parents that want to get their kids into pinball, here's the gateway theme. Pokemon is still wildly popular with young kids.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pokemon-pin-pic-from-deadflip?tu=TreyBo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.