3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Wickerman2
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8391 (resized).PNG
IMG_8390 (resized).PNG
IMG_2632 (resized).JPG
GTA_Go_(resized).jpg
look-undead-out-there-10-of-the-best-walkers-from-the-walking-dead-a-walker-looking-p-551821_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
giphy_(2).gif
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 3 years ago

Doesn't anyone work?

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Doesn't anyone work?

Yeah. I work. We have a pokestop in our building and a pokemon gym out behind the building.

It's definitely become a competition between a bunch of employees here (we have 1500 in our building).

#103 3 years ago

Interesting concept for sure, but the game is pretty bland. It's basically a paper-toss-in-a-wastebasket game with some roll-the-dice-combat mixed in. It sure exploits man's wonderment with hoarding worthless trinkets. I don't see how it's considered a "social game", when the vast majority of people playing it are walking around with their heads angled down looking at their phones. I've heard people say it gets them outside and active, which is a positive, but what ever happened to going for a walk for the sake of enjoying the sites and sounds of the outdoors in the first place? People are too f#cking glued to their "screens".

--- Sent from my laptop "screen".

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

I don't see how it's considered a "social game", when the vast majority of people playing it are walking around with their heads angled down looking at their phones.

*shrug* It gives people who wouldn't normally interact a reason to strike up a conversation.

The only way to take over a gym with powerful pokemon at it is to team up and go at it with 3 other people together. You have to all be physically standing there to do it.

#105 3 years ago

but the game is pretty bland.

You can count on them expanding all aspects of the game. This is just the framework to start as I understand it...read a couple articles interviewing the creators.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Yeah. I work. We have a pokestop in our building and a pokemon gym out behind the building.
It's definitely become a competition between a bunch of employees here (we have 1500 in our building).

We've got 6,000 people here, 2 stops, and a gym outside at the "park" beside our walking track. My husband plays and is trying to take over the gym. You can watch herds of people walking around at break times instead of sitting at their desks all day, and since we're a 'healthy campus' nobody here discourages anything that gets people up and moving.

#107 3 years ago

Is there a discernible level of skill involved?

#108 3 years ago

The first 10 or so levels of your person it's super easy to catch a Pokemon and there isn't much skill involved. After that, it starts to get considerably harder and you have to incorporate some of the skill throws to it.

For example, you can throw a curve ball by swirling your finger on the pokeball then tossing it, but you have to toss it with the curve in mind.

In combat, there is a dodge mechanic that takes a good amount of skill to use.

There are consumables (stardust and candies) that you also need to make good decisions about using. You use those to evolve and power up pokemon. Each pokemon are generated within certain bounds, and it's up to you to decide which ones to power up, evolve, etc...

Quoted from blondetall:

We've got 6,000 people here, 2 stops, and a gym outside at the "park" beside our walking track. My husband plays and is trying to take over the gym. You can watch herds of people walking around at break times instead of sitting at their desks all day, and since we're a 'healthy campus' nobody here discourages anything that gets people up and moving.

That's kinda how it feels at my work too. We are on a health kick at work lately, so we all wear fitness trackers and compete in contests with them. They've even painted guide paths around our campus for certain distance walks during your breaks.

This is my first pokemon game, and I am a very casual player. I'm only level 14 right now. I'll probably stop playing once the popularity dies down, but for now it's just a little bit of fun dotted throughout the day.

#109 3 years ago

it's a phone app, not the olympics! It's just silly fun.

#110 3 years ago

I enjoy it. Like Wolfmarsh this is my first ever Pokemon game and from what I hear it is nothing like the games that came before it. For me, catching the Pokemon is fun, but the social aspect of it is what I really like. There are two sets of PokeStops very close to my house. I run into people at either set every night. They throw down and lure and I'll do the same and we chat about what level, team, and Pokemon we've caught that day.

My wife was out tonight at one set of PokeStops and an older gentleman was in the adjacent yard. It was his house and he wasn't very happy about the crowds of people that were loitering around on the path just outside his yard. He asked my wife if she was playing and she told him yes and they continued to converse for the next 15 minutes. They chatted about the game, his garden, the community. We've lived in that area for 6 years. This guy is only 2 blocks from us and this was the first time my wife had ever seen or spoken to him. If it wasn't for PokemonGo this wouldn't have happened. This is only one example of the social aspect in my community. I have many other stories and the game was only released in Canada little more than a week ago.

#111 3 years ago

Is there a discernible level of skill involved in birdwatching?

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

discernible level of skill involved in birdwatching?

stealth...stealthiness...like a ninja

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Is there a discernible level of skill involved in birdwatching?

I have an interesting story about that. There actually is some skill to the scientific side of birdwatching.

I used to work on a project with the USGS to improve the accuracy of bird population estimations. Currently, ornithologists go into the woods with a clipboard and a timer. They stand still for a certain amount of time and record all the bird calls they hear, the distance away, and the general direction. They feed all of that information into a SAS program that spits out population numbers.

This entire system relies on the ability of the researchers to correctly identify what species of bird, the distance, and direction. It also requires them to decide if a call was the same bird or a different bird.

We built a bunch of remote wireless speaker boxes (basically glorified MP3 players) that could all be controlled by one wireless signal. Before the day of an experiment, we would place these boxes all around the woods and would sit these guys down in the woods and run through a bird count. After playing a playlist of bird calls, we would take their data and compare it to our known setup.

It was amazing how many of these guys were wildly inaccurate.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I have an interesting story about that. There actually is some skill to the scientific side of birdwatching.
I used to work on a project with the USGS to improve the accuracy of bird population estimations. Currently, ornithologists go into the woods with a clipboard and a timer. They stand still for a certain amount of time and record all the bird calls they hear, the distance away, and the general direction. They feed all of that information into a SAS program that spits out population numbers.
This entire system relies on the ability of the researchers to correctly identify what species of bird, the distance, and direction. It also requires them to decide if a call was the same bird or a different bird.
We built a bunch of remote wireless speaker boxes (basically glorified MP3 players) that could all be controlled by one wireless signal. Before the day of an experiment, we would place these boxes all around the woods and would sit these guys down in the woods and run through a bird count. After playing a playlist of bird calls, we would take their data and compare it to our known setup.
It was amazing how many of these guys were wildly inaccurate.

It doesn't take a scientist to see how that approach would be flawed.

#115 3 years ago

I used to do this stuff back in the day (which seems to be a lifetime ago
amazon.com link »

I guess I need to see what this pokemon go app is all about

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

stealth...stealthiness...like a ninja

that or a lot of bird seed!!

#117 3 years ago

Yesterday I hit level 20. I work in 5 different cities and always find new Pokemon when I stop at a hot spot in each city. Some places like Victoria park in my home town have 9 pokestops within a 10 min walk, there's literally 100's of people mulling around the park that normally wouldn't be there. The game is an immediate ice breaker. It's easy to spot other player and you've immediately got something in common with them. My good friend that is a stereotypical "hardcore world of Warcraft player" has walked 40km and met dozens of new people in the last 2 weeks. So that's not normal for him but life changing from an outsiders perspective.

The game will become more popular as time goes on. With the addition of features like trading Pokemon with your friends, and battling friends outside of a gym, the enjoyment of the game will better and more appealing to a wider audience. The curious onlooker will start playing just to shit talk their friends and feel included.

What are your best play tips? Here's some of mine.

Save stardust.
Always evolve before powering up. Your pokemon's attacks might change when you evolve it, so only power up ones your sure you'll keep.
New Pokemon's combat points will grow as you grow. When you are bigger, you see bigger Pokemon.
Hatched Pokemon plateau at level 20, you won't hatch Pokemon with more CP after that.
Wild Pokemon plateau at level 30. At level 30 you should find Pidgey with 400CP

#118 3 years ago

I wonder if Niantic was being strategic in releasing the game during the summer or they just got lucky with the timing. If they would have released it during the winter, it may not have broke through like this.

#119 3 years ago

latest update is a real turd. Hopefully they'll change it but removing tracking, blocking external tracking...what's left? Wander aimlessly?

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

latest update is a real turd. Hopefully they'll change it but removing tracking, blocking external tracking...what's left? Wander aimlessly?

My guess is, that feature was taxing on the servers causing issues. So they remove that feature until the servers can handle the load, then fix and reinstall the tracking. Last week at comic con the developers said that this is only 10% of the complete game. It hasn't even been released world wide yet.

#121 3 years ago

Why did the take out battery saver ??? I need that so the screen dims when pointing down.

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Why did the take out battery saver ??? I need that so the screen dims when pointing down.

Removed on iOS but it's still present on android

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

It was causing the game to freeze and lock up phones. I also read that it didn't really save much battery. I tried using it a few times and I always ended up turning it off as the game would freeze up on me constantly. I'm using an S5.

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

It was causing the game to freeze and lock up phones.

that was happening to us as well. I stopped using it.

4 months later
#125 3 years ago

Well, there's new Pokémon added into the game as of yesterday.

Is anyone else still playing?

I reached lvl 30 last week and completed my 1st gen local pokedex yesterday. All I need is the regional exclusives and any new 2nd gen that we're added.

#126 3 years ago

Yes, hate the speed limit restrictions. Used to be able to rebuild driving around since I have the watch. Now I have to ride my bicycle and do loops. That only gets stops cause they killed the ability to count that as walking also.

https://www.change.org/p/niantic-remove-speed-limit-bans-on-pokestops-in-pokemon-go-f6137a91-6fb7-4775-bdde-6d4cc70df1f2

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Yes, hate the speed limit restrictions. Used to be able to rebuild driving around since I have the watch. Now I have to ride my bicycle and do loops. That only gets stops cause they killed the ability to count that as walking also.

odd how they seem to making it harder and less fun (the streak thing is good though) while their numbers go down...wonder if Starbucks is regretting their deal that just went in to effect. I think they've blown it really. People with apps/phones/tech have ADD and will move on quick if you aren't careful.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Well, there's new Pokémon added into the game as of yesterday.
Is anyone else still playing?
I reached lvl 30 last week and completed my 1st gen local pokedex yesterday. All I need is the regional exclusives and any new 2nd gen that we're added.

Really, new pokemon? Are they visible in Pokedex, I don't see any yet?

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

bunch of little guys and only from hatching eggs....a scheme to get you to spend $$ on incubators

#130 3 years ago

I think it's a scheme to keep you walking and playing, as most people are now snuggled up inside and not out running around looking for Pokestops or trying to hatch things.

I made it to level 31 when they had the double points during Thanksgiving, thanks to some lucky eggs giving me quad points. Haven't seen any of the new babies yet, but did get a few Pikachu with Santa hats.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I think it's a scheme to keep you walking and playing, as most people are now snuggled up inside and not out running around looking for Pokestops or trying to hatch things.

I'd believe that if they didn't charge for incubators

#132 3 years ago

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's for that also. But I'm at level 31 and have never bought anything in the game, so there's ways around it. I make sure I've got 10 in gyms per day and get my coins that way. I'm cheap like that. Plus you've still got to get in the steps to hatch it once you've got that egg in the incubator. My problem is that I keep getting 5K eggs which have nothing I need, and I can't find a lapras to save my life.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

The game data and sounds for all of the 2nd gen Pokémon is in the game code already. Niantic also made the Pokémon sprites load from servers instead of on the device, so they can have new Pokémon spawn at any time.

Currently the only new ones are baby Pokémon that you need to hatch.
IMG_2632 (resized).JPG

#134 3 years ago

<----Level 26
<----Hasn't played in like 3 months.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's for that also. But I'm at level 31 and have never bought anything in the game, so there's ways around it. I make sure I've got 10 in gyms per day and get my coins that way. I'm cheap like that. Plus you've still got to get in the steps to hatch it once you've got that egg in the incubator. My problem is that I keep getting 5K eggs which have nothing I need, and I can't find a lapras to save my life.

Wow, the joys of living near a city. There's only like 5 gyms within 5mi here

#136 3 years ago

10 in gyms per day... that's impressive. The gyms here rotate so quickly you're lucky to get a few hours before being turfed out. On rare occasions I've managed to keep one in a gym for a few days. I really think the gym aspect is the weakest part of the game, to the point where my son and I rarely even bother with them because it's just a waste of time.

#137 3 years ago

Does anyone know if there's any logic in what hatches from the egg? Is it completely random or related to where you got the egg?

#138 3 years ago

I know whatever is in the egg is predetermined when you get it. Past that I'm not sure if it's related to the area where you get it or not.

There's a gym and 2 stops at my work. And my drive home from work is past the Riverfront which has 10 gyms in a group in the art gardens behind the local community college, so the average person never goes back there. We've got them up to 52,000/50,000 so they basically never change. There are more gyms in the downtown area, but they rotate over pretty quickly so I don't bother with them unless I'm just out anyway. I also leave my phone running while at work because between the 15 minute walks to/from the garage and the GPS signals constantly recalibrating at my desk and make my person walk in small circles while I'm sitting still, I can hatch a 2K egg in an 8 hour timespan. If I didn't have all that, I wouldn't bother playing either.

7 months later
#139 2 years ago

Pokemon Fest today....any pokenerds attending? Went to the park with the kids and there were actually lots of people out doing the challenges.

#140 2 years ago

I'm busy today hosting a 40th B-day party for my sister, but tomorrow I plan to spend a couple hours at the park trying to get a legendary raid.

#141 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Pokemon Fest today....any pokenerds attending? Went to the park with the kids and there were actually lots of people out doing the challenges.

My wife and daughter joined a couple local Facebook groups for Pokemon. They've been out all day. Pretty cheap hobby, so I'm not complaining.

#142 2 years ago

Sounds like the actual fest was a minor disaster...we still had some fun walking around here.

#143 2 years ago

That's so last year......... Joey

#144 2 years ago

Watch your defender bonus, 2nd time now I got zero coins for being in a gym the required time. Sent an email to complain.

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Watch your defender bonus, 2nd time now I got zero coins for being in a gym the required time. Sent an email to complain.

there are some bugs in the current update for sure

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

there are some bugs in the current update for sure

It's buggy as hell which makes it far less entertaining than it should be. That being said my 10yo son and I battled alone against a 37K Articuno this morning. It wiped the floor with us, but my son enjoyed the thrill of battling something completely new. There's a 42K Lugia down the street right now, but I'm out of raid passes and couldn't be arsed buying one.

I've filed multiple bugs with Niantic, but they've never ever even acknowledged the reports.

IMG_8390 (resized).PNG

IMG_8391 (resized).PNG

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

I've filed multiple bugs with Niantic, but they've never ever even acknowledged the reports.

Compared to the first couple months after release it's working like a dream! You'd think they'd have it figured out by now though

The raid system is cool but until they have some sort of invite/friend feature you really can't even do a level 4 let alone a 5 unless you proactively assemble 5 or 6 level 30 people.

#148 2 years ago

I caught a Lugia today, also beat an Articuno but didn't catch it. For each raid we had 15-20 people. At one raid there were two different groups because that many people were around. It was pretty fun seeing that many people out.

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Compared to the first couple months after release it's working like a dream! You'd think they'd have it figured out by now though
The raid system is cool but until they have some sort of invite/friend feature you really can't even do a level 4 let alone a 5 unless you proactively assemble 5 or 6 level 30 people.

Check your community for a Facebook group. The one in my area is quite active in coordinating raids. I'm kinda ready for it to be done. My wife and daughter have put over 1K miles on the car since Friday doing this. Got a nail in the tire last night. Guess who got to fix that?

10 months later
#150 1 year ago

Anyone else still play? Wanna be friends in game? Here’s my trainer code.

2884 2712 9524

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 1,000.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 339.00
$ 159.00
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside