2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Wickerman2
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8391 (resized).PNG
IMG_8390 (resized).PNG
IMG_2632 (resized).JPG
GTA_Go_(resized).jpg
look-undead-out-there-10-of-the-best-walkers-from-the-walking-dead-a-walker-looking-p-551821_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
giphy_(2).gif
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

I haven't watched the cartoon, I haven't read the manga, I haven't played the CCG, I played the one on the Game Boy over a decade ago and I didn't care much for it.... but I'll be damned if this freakin' app didn't take over my entire weekend.

It may be a silly activity, it may make people a target for unsavory folk, it may lead to you discovering a body near the river, but bless Nintendo and Niantic for getting people off of their couch!

So who here is playing it?

#2 2 years ago

I followed my kids around our neighborhood yesterday while they did it. They seemed pretty excited about it.

#3 2 years ago

Yesterday my mom asked me if I was doing it. I told her no and asked how she even knew about it, and she said that while she and my dad were walking their dogs in the local park there were kids running around looking behind bushes and stumps. She finally asked one what in the world was going on, and they showed it to her. Now she kinda wants to do it.

#4 2 years ago

Yeah! I have seen SO MANY people out there with the tell-tale signs of playing it: walking around erratically, swiping up, assembling in groups... I went to the park yesterday, put a Lure Module on a Poke Stop, and watched as people gathered around to enjoy the Poke Party!

Really, I'm 43 years old, and now all of a sudden I wanna catch them all?

#5 2 years ago

Stolen from the Internet.

image_(resized).jpeg

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Really, I'm 43 years old, and now all of a sudden I wanna catch them all?

Meh, I say go for it. My mom is 61 and wants to play it. She used to have a Tomagotchi, and would feed it between patient appointments at work. lol Husband and I went to see Weird Al Saturday evening, then stayed up past midnight playing XBox and eating pizza and ice cream. What's the fun of being an adult if you can't do childish things occasionally.

#7 2 years ago

2 of my 3 kids played it all weekend. And they are 15 and 21. Lol. Dorks.

Me , not so much. Too many other obsessions!!

#8 2 years ago

Im not playing it, but holy crap.....its gone viral on all media. Even my local police dept posted on their fb......please dont drive and capture Pokémon

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Im not playing it, but holy crap.....its gone viral on all media. Even my local police dept posted on their fb......please dont drive and capture Pokémon

Definitely leave that for the person riding shotgun!

PS Your eggs will never hatch that way...

#10 2 years ago

haha yeah, I havent played an actual pokemon game for atleast a decade but my friends and I went to "Old Town" Fort Collins last night and walked around and caught a ton of em till our batteries died. We would go to the bars that were near pokestops and grab a beer and catch em hah. Fun times. I'm guessing work productivity in the service industry is at an all time low. Walking in stores all the employees are playing lol.

#11 2 years ago

my friends work had to post this haha.

poke_(resized).jpg

#12 2 years ago

This is the stupidest goddamn thing ever invented.

And I'm counting the Pet Rock in that equation.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What a surprise, CrazyLevi hates fun.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Gold fish walker. Way stupider.

drizpl4aqvcloympzo2k_(resized).jpg

#15 2 years ago

It is fun, and gets more people out and walking...just hope it isn't wrecking peoples work or lives.

The company that made it, also did ingress, so they pretty much copy/pasted over the active points. Smart to do...I can't believe how popular this is and how much nintendo stock has gone up...damn another hit out of the park for them, with amiibo you never would of thought!

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

...damn another hit out of the park for them, with amiibo you never would of thought!

Amiibo, that's another thing! I'm too old to be playing with toys, yet I have like five of the sunsabitches!

#17 2 years ago

I checked the stock yesterday. With a P/E over 100 I figured I missed that boat. Now the P/E is over 200. Ha! I live in a small college town and you can just drive around and see people playing it everywhere. My 47 year old wife is playing it and a week ago I don't think she even knew what a Pokemon was.

#18 2 years ago

Pinball? What's that? But seriously, I have been hooked on this game for the past few days. Now I kinda want to play Pokemon Pinball again...

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Amiibo, that's another thing! I'm too old to be playing with toys, yet I have like five of the sunsabitches!

ugh.....I have a few....but only ones that actually do something to improve the game. 3 pack for splatoon and a yarn yoshi. was about to get squid sisters, but heard they don't do much? still waiting to see what they do. kinda want the new zelda ones though, they look sweet.

#20 2 years ago

Good thread. I laughed quite a bit at some of the comments.

I'm a recovering Pokemon addict so I know the temptations this game has put upon the world. I think I'll stay away for now though as I value my time too much.

#21 2 years ago

Both of my kids are doing it. Running around looking for something that isn't there.
Kind of looks pretty silly!

#22 2 years ago

Pokemon plush coming soon to a claw machine near you!

#23 2 years ago

It's amazing how fast this thing went viral. One day I haven't heard of it, and the next day my kids and every one of their friends are addicted to it.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Both of my kids are doing it. Running around looking for something that isn't there.
Kind of looks pretty silly!

Yeah, when we were kids we didn't have PokemonGo. If we wanted to wander the streets looking for things that weren't there, we'd drop acid like normal people.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Pokemon plush coming soon to a claw machine near you!

should get tony policano on this! then when I go play at sunray I can catch em too!

#26 2 years ago

This is WAY stupider than a goldfish walker.

But since I'm sure you guys all suck at this anyway, maybe you can use some help...

newyork.craigslist.org link

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is WAY stupider than a goldfish walker.
But since I'm sure you guys all suck at this anyway, maybe you can use some help...
newyork.craigslist.org link

I can't knock her hustle.

#29 2 years ago

I'm wondering if she's caught more dick picks or pokemon over the past couple of hours.

#30 2 years ago

My husband just informed me that he's caught 20 Pokémon on our work campus so far today. Sigh. At least he's getting up from his desk at break time, I guess.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm wondering if she's caught more dick picks or pokemon over the past couple of hours.

It could be both!

#32 2 years ago

.....in Canada waiting for the release date.

Don't think I'll get addicted, but I'd like to try it out. Also, I work in 5 cities so I wonder if that would help get em all?

#33 2 years ago

I just caught 2 in my house while reading this. I have no idea what to do with the damn things once I catch them though...

#34 2 years ago

Started yesterday and must have walked 5 miles. At least its fresh air and better than sitting on couch. Planning on hitting NY with my daughter to catch a few. Damn snorlax is on the brooklyn bridge. While I was out, saw 1/2 the town doing the same thing. Can easily become an obsession if you let it. Just look at it as a fun way to stretch your legs. Good idea to read the tips on line. Plus its cheaper than pinball or bars.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

Started yesterday and must have walked 5 miles. At least its fresh air and better than sitting on couch.

I keep hearing this. Last I checked there's other ways to get off the couch and get out of the house.

Once this fad is over, is it back to the couch for good?

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I keep hearing this. Last I checked there's other ways to get off the couch and get out of the house.
Once this fad is over, is it back to the couch for good?

its just in beta right now, they had no idea it would blow up this fast and had to add a shit ton of servers

the next release they are talking about trading which will keep this thing going for a good while. Also, adding leader boards and all sorts of stuff. I think its here to stay for a good while.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

its just in beta right now, they had no idea it would blow up this fast and had to add a shit ton of servers
the next release they are talking about trading which will keep this thing going for a good while. Also, adding leader boards and all sorts of stuff. I think its here to stay for a good while.

Thank God!

Our nation's obesity epidemic is clearly nearing an end.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thank God!
Our nation's obesity epidemic is clearly nearing an end.

meh, you can be cynical if you want, but I know actual people who suffer from depression / social anxiety and never leave the house who are going out and socializing for the first time in years / or ever. It's really cool that something so simple can bring people together. You can hate all you want, or ignore it and never play it and scoff people who do, but I think its pretty cool what its doing.

People are already always on their phone doing stupid shit and ignoring the real world, atleast when they are doing it with this game they are interacting with other people and moving around.

#39 2 years ago

going out and socializing for the first time in years

Took the kids to the park to play since we've been TCG players for years...had no idea. Mobs of zombies with phones. It's surreal. I agree it's great to get people out. Lots of people walking around that look like they don't typically hit the park to walk a mile or 2. People will be healthier while they lose all their personal data!

#40 2 years ago

meh, you can be cynical if you want, but I know actual people who suffer from depression / social anxiety and never leave the house who are going out and socializing for the first time in years / or ever. It's really cool that something so simple can bring people together. You can hate all you want, or ignore it and never play it and scoff people who do, but I think its pretty cool what its doing.

Why does it bother you so much that I find this ridiculous? I spent a weekend at pintastic with a guy who was locked into this idiocy. There was nothing "social" about it, except that he kept telling me about shit I couldn't care less about (what he just caught for instance). This does not promote social activity, and in fact, retards it. When people are locked into this, they are not listening to anybody or interacting with anybody in a social manner. It's not "bringing people together" it's just driving another technological wedge between them.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why does it bother you so much that I find this ridiculous? I spent a weekend at pintastic with a guy who was locked into this idiocy. There was nothing "social" about it, except that he kept telling me about shit I couldn't care less about (what he just caught for instance). This does not promote social activity, and in fact, retards it. When people are locked into this, they are not listening to anybody or interacting with anybody in a social manner. It's not "bringing people together" it's just driving another technological wedge between them.

I don't think it bothers me at all that you aren't into it, I was just trying to give some perspective that I thought you may be missing.

Obviously there are going to be people on different levels of the spectrum, but what I see a lot of is groups of people walking around socializing and playing simultaneously.

#42 2 years ago

Everything should be done in moderation. Otherwise other aspects of life suffer.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Complete bullshit.

I spent the last weekend walking around a neighborhood park, trying to catch them all. Saw a bunch of fellow nerdlingers crowded around a Poke Stop, the likes I had never seen before. There were virtual leafs flying all around it! I walked over, asked one of them what was going on, and he told me that someone had placed a Lure on the Poke Stop so that everyone around it had a better chance of finding more Pokemon. Everyone was laughing and sharing what they had caught with other people - some people were their buddies, some people, like myself, were total strangers.

So that's one event that completely discredits the bullshit you're spewing.

Here's another one: right across the street from my house is a dog park / skate park. It's got a few Poke Stops and some Gyms. My GF and I - both in our forties - went walking around, looking for Pokemons. A bunch of skate rats rolled up to us and said "wow, are you guys catching Pokemon?!". We were a little embarrassed, but we admitted to it. Then one of these rad fellas says, "you gotta go over there, there's a rare so-and-so!".

Basically, Crazy Levi, it's fine if you want to hate on Pokemon Go. You don't seem to find much joy in life as it is. But coming up with complete bullshit to try and validate your misanthropic views is just annoying.

#44 2 years ago

LOL @ Cornelius melting down because someone thinks Pokemon Go is stupid.

Have fun with your pokestops bro, you truly have unlocked the mystery of how to achieve human happiness and joy in life. Perhaps one day I'll be like you, wandering around in an idiotic stupor trying to catch virtual what-have-yous while spending all day trying to keep up with what the latest fad and all the 12-year olds in a "game" that requires absolutely no skill.

Pure bliss.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL @ Cornelius melting down because someone thinks Pokemon Go is stupid.
Have fun with your pokestops bro, you truly have unlocked the mystery of how to achieve human happiness and joy in life. Perhaps one day I'll be like you, wandering around in an idiotic stupor trying to catch virtual what-have-yous while spending all day trying to keep up with what the latest fad and all the 12-year olds in a "game" that requires absolutely no skill.
Pure bliss.

LOL. Classic Levi.

I will say this. Pokemon has proven it isn't a fad and it's not just for twelve year olds. It originally came out in 1995 which was 21 years ago so a lot of people that play it are in their thirties.

Oh and Cornelius, the correct plural term is Pokemon. Don't want those rad teenagers knowing you're a newb.

#46 2 years ago

image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

LOL. Classic Levi.
I will say this. Pokemon has proven it isn't a fad and it's not just for twelve year olds. It originally came out in 1995 which was 21 years ago so a lot of people that play it are in their thirties.
Oh and Cornelius, the correct plural term is Pokemon. Don't want those rad teenagers knowing you're a newb.

Careful, you sound like one of us - a wasted soul who is incapable of achieving the joy in life that Cornelius has discovered because you are hung up on the correct pluralization of "Pokemon." Free spirited, joyous souls like Cornelius have no need for correct pluralization, to wit "virtual leafs."

I pity you DMB, for you, like I, are one of the damned, cursed to wander through life as joyless husks of flesh, never knowing true peace.

#48 2 years ago

Uh Oh Here comes Breaking_Dad with all of his family pics.

#49 2 years ago

So, I am waiting for the sponsors... I am waiting for WALMART to make a deal that the uber rare pokemon appear in their stores.... OR I am waiting for the "give me 2$ and you can come in and get a "xx pokemon" advertisements. AT any rate, this will be fascinating to see all the crazy shit that spins off of this.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Uh Oh Here comes Breaking_Dad with all of his family pics.

There's a man with joy in his life!

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how Cornelius managed to write the following epic passage without realizing how cringeworthy it is:

"I spent the last weekend walking around a neighborhood park, trying to catch them all. Saw a bunch of fellow nerdlingers crowded around a Poke Stop, the likes I had never seen before. There were virtual leafs flying all around it! I walked over, asked one of them what was going on, and he told me that someone had placed a Lure on the Poke Stop so that everyone around it had a better chance of finding more Pokemon. Everyone was laughing and sharing what they had caught with other people - some people were their buddies, some people, like myself, were total strangers. "

At best, it sounds like it was written by a guy who hasn't left his house since most of us were on dialup. You know how I spent the weekend? hanging out with actual (non virtual) friends, playing pinball, and eating lobster at the Pintastic show. But hey, you win cause you were giggling with teenagers in the park.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 244.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 15.00
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 27.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 5,599.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside