(Topic ID: 308505)

Pokemon by Stern Pinball - letting loose the Pocket Monster?

By Rodent

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pokemonCar (resized).jpg
    4467B59D-8A37-4101-8718-2617D1019191 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mystman12.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 2 years ago

Pokemon is the only IP I can think of that would potentially get a large number of non-pinball players to get IC. All they'd have to do is let you catch Pokemon and have the ones you've caught saved to your account. It would be a cool feature and would definitely catch the attention of Pokemon fans.

Whether or not any of those players would continue using IC for other pins, I'm not so sure, but I'm sure a few would get hooked!

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dear god no.
    And it doesn't matter if Pokemon has allegedly "made" 70 billion more than James Bond, or $30 billion more than Star Wars. It's completely irrelevant.
    This is a point I've had to make a few times recently:
    Stern is having zero trouble selling out of everything. They are backlogged for a year. The problem isn't finding people who want to buy their games, nor dramatically changing their license search to "get more people into pinball."
    THerefore, "it's hugely popular!" isn't enough of a justification for a horrible theme. Everything is hugely popular. Every IP with any kind of history or following will sell out in 2021 if aimed at the pinball-buying crowd.
    So really...Pokemon?!

Not really sure how you can say Pokemon would be a horrible theme, translating it into pinball writes itself. Heck, there are already two official digital Pokemon Pinball games and they're pretty good. I say this as someone who doesn't really care for pinball games on the Game Boy or Pokemon in general.

It's a series about catching cool monsters in PokeBALLs. You could have a Dialed In style hologram and magnet setup where a Pokemon appears on the playfield, you shoot the ball at it, it gets stopped by the magnet, and an animation of the Pokemon getting sucked into the ball plays. Modes for training, battling, and evolving Pokemon. Getting all 8 gym badges to reach the wizard mode. Game buffs based on which Pokemon you currently have on your team. A difficult multiball mode where you have to defeat an organization of evil Pokemon trainers. Just a bunch of random ideas here, but the point is that there's a lot of stuff from the series that could be translated to pinball in cool ways.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mystman12.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pokemon-by-stern-pinball-letting-loose-the-pocket-monster?tu=mystman12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.