Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9008 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9009 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9007 (resized).jpeg
photo15 (1).JPG
poison-girl-artwork-hou.jpg
tx_houston02.jpg

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

Poison Girl barcade in Houston TX

#2 9 years ago

When was this video taken?

#3 9 years ago

I went to poison girl a couple weeks ago. It's a cool venue, but the only machine that was in playable condition was Wheel of Fortune. Kinda sad, they have a nice little collection. I'm thinking about contacting the operator and asking if I can repair them pro bono

#4 9 years ago

Dan is a nice guy and usually keeps his games in working order. I went there years ago but Im not PC enough for that place. Go to Joystix.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Dan is a nice guy and usually keeps his games in working order. I went there years ago but Im not PC enough for that place. Go to Joystix.

I'd love to know the difference between a PC barcade and a non-PC barcade.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Joystix is great, but only open 2 times a month kinda sucks. I'm going to check out gamepreserve this week. Anyone been there yet?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd love to know the difference between a PC barcade and a non-PC barcade.

Poison Girl is a hipster barcade in the artsy district of Houston. Cool place, but probably not the best atmosphere for what people would consider a traditional Texan. FWIW, my wife and I always have a great time and we're far from being PC.

My only beef is that hipsters tend to be a rude bunch, bumping/shoving past without excusing and pushing in ahead of others to order drinks.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Poison Girl is a hipster barcade in the artsy district of Houston. Cool place, but probably not the best atmosphere for what people would consider a traditional Texan. FWIW, my wife and I always have a great time and we're far from being PC.
My only beef is that hipsters tend to be a rude bunch, bumping/shoving past without excusing and pushing in ahead of others to order drinks.

You think you have it tough? I often have to go to Williamsburg, Brooklyn to play pinball.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You think you have it tough? I often have to go to Williamsburg, Brooklyn to play pinball.

Ha ha. There's nothing tough about this place at all. It's just not everyone's "scene" if you catch my drift.

#10 9 years ago

Drift caught. If James ain't into it I can imagine any one of about a dozen social horrors that await.

Williamsburg is the hipster capitol of America, by the way. Last time I played Rollergames there I got my left eye poked out by not one but THREE bizarre "trying too hard" mustaches.

#11 9 years ago

Poison Girl is in the Montrose area of Houston. It is the area where all diverse lifestyles live and go to. You know me Levi. While I have gotten a little more tolerant in the last few years I was not the least little bit when I went there. Regardless I do not have a problem with making jokes. The being offended at every little thing that might miff you, to me, is stupid. Put on your big girl panties and get over it as life is not fair, there are no guarantees that everyone will like you or agree with your lifestyle. They did not feel that way and I was kindly asked to take my bidness elsewhere.

Game preserve sucks and the guy that owns it is a whiney ass idiot.
If you want you are welcome to come to Kingwood and play my games if you done mind my being a very un-pc redneck.

#12 9 years ago

Actually Levi the place is pretty nice or was and if I ever went back there would be no problem. I have changed and it isn't worth offending people when there is nothing to gain for anyone. When you go to Mexico you cant get pissy because there are Mexicans there. It just makes me look like the asshole. Now, if you ask my opinion that is another story. I have owned so many pins and played so many that going somewhere to play them is not a lot of fun. Being the loner that I am by choice or not means I usually go by myself and that isn't fun either.

#13 9 years ago

I guess everyone is different, but I never had any problems with anyone at the Game Preserve. I usually have an absolute blast there, it's just too damned far out for us to go out to on a regular basis.

#14 9 years ago

To clarify I have never been there. I have only been told that it wasn't that great by a couple people but that was a while back. The problem with one of its owners was something else. I met the guy once at some pinball thing I went to with a friend. This guy was just plain weird to me and my friend fucked with him incessantly and the guy would whine and act like he was going to get in my friends face but my friend would have wiped the floor with him. Weeks later my friend drives up at my business with him in the car. I was polite with the guy but that is it. Down the road this idiot comes to my place wanting me to buy a beater Corvette for him and finance it to him at cost with no down payment and no interest and the guy had zero credit. I wouldn't have done it anyway but I was actually walking out the door to take care of the final details for a two week trip to Hawaii the next day. I didnt have time for this guy or his shit but he kept begging me telling me he came to me because I was a good guy and was his friend and could help him. Finally I said that this was my business and friendship had nothing to do with it and he wasn't my friend anyway because I had only met him once that I was not under any circumstances going to do that deal and I started to leave. He kept whining to me as I walked out the door. When I got back I went to buy the car for myself just to be a dick and it was gone so I guess he bought it anyway. That is that story.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Game preserve sucks and the guy that owns it is a whiney ass idiot.

There are 4 owners of The Game Preserve, all of whom are putting their personal games out for people to play.

There are few enough places to go and play pinball and video games these days, so why do you think the place sucks?

ken

#16 9 years ago

tx_houston02.jpgtx_houston02.jpg

#17 9 years ago

I think I should retract that comment and offer an apology for it. Please read my other post.

Forgive me, I am having some very serious family problems that I wont air in public.

#18 9 years ago

I thought game preserve was ok. I took my mom there around Christmas and we had a pretty good time. Not sure I'd go regularly, though. (No booze)

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

I thought game preserve was ok. I took my mom there around Christmas and we had a pretty good time. Not sure I'd go regularly, though. (No booze)

It's BYOB. That's a win in my book. It's cheaper and you know the beer will be good. I also can't remember when the move was, but the location has changed and the new building is great.

#20 9 years ago

I didn't know they moved. The one time I tried to go it was in a storage facility and you had to have a code to get in. The guy told me he would give me the code and after that little episode he told me I was not welcome there.

#21 9 years ago

Oh, I didn't know about the byob. It was in the storage facility when I went, too

#22 9 years ago

I am pretty sure Game Preserve moved out of the storage facility a good 2 years ago.
You can find them on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/TheGamePreserve
And their website. http://www.gamepreservehouston.com/

Now back on topic.
Any know of a few specific problems with the games at Poison Girl other that GI lighting on 3 of the games?

#23 9 years ago

They moved to a much nicer building just a little farther north, got a lot more pins and I've always had a good time.

I know all the owners, though not very well and I never had a problem with any of them. Sometimes people just don't mix. I think it's be worth it to bury the hatchet if you're close by, though. Definitely a great place to play pinball

#24 9 years ago

Wheel of Fortune was missing a bobble head on one of the figures last time I was there. Oh, and the Shadow is not mine. That's a huge problem!

#25 9 years ago

Maybe I'm just confusing it because that's how the back room felt to me. I guess the location was a business park of sorts

#26 9 years ago

What are the BYOB laws in houston? Where I had my arcade, the license for BYOB was the same as to serve.

#27 9 years ago

Not sure about BYOB laws but in the south, as a rule of thumb, when alcohol is not provided at a venue, we bring our own.

#28 9 years ago

As a third generation native texan, I know how personal responsibility works. I was just curious what the laws were regarding BYOB

#29 9 years ago

As a third generation native texan, I know how personal responsibility works. I was just curious what the laws were regarding BYOB

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp

(copied from the link above)
9. Some restaurants I visit allow me to bring my own bottle of wine, while others say it is against the law. Which is it? And is it legal for the bar or restaurant to charge me a fee to bring my own alcoholic beverages into the establishment?

It is ILLEGAL to take any alcoholic beverage into a restaurant/bar that has a private club permit or a mixed beverage permit (distilled spirits in addition to beer/wine). You can't leave with an alcoholic beverage, unless it is a malt beverage produced by a brewpub, or you are leaving with a bottle of wine you bought with a meal and did not finish. Section 28.10 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code says, "A mixed beverage permittee may not permit any person to take any alcoholic beverage purchased on the licensed premises from the premises where sold, except that a person who orders wine with food and has a portion of the open container remaining may remove the open container of wine from the premises."

It is LEGAL to take alcoholic beverages into or out of a restaurant/bar that has a beer/wine permit (no distilled spirits), or an establishment that does not have a permit to sell alcohol. However, the business may have their own rules against it. If the business allows you to bring your own alcoholic beverages onto their premises, it is legal for them to charge you a fee. It is often referred to as a "corkage fee," especially when it refers to a bottle of wine brought into a restaurant. Some bars also sell "set ups" which refers to cups of ice or soda that the customer buys and mixes with their own distilled spirits.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

When was this video taken?

Last Thursday night.

#31 9 years ago

Thanks, Xerico. D&D in Tucson was that way, too. I was a huge fan. I hope I can find another location with zoning regulations permitting 24/7 operation

#32 9 years ago

That lineup is vastly different from the last time I visited. Where the heck did all the GI go?

#33 9 years ago

This is a bar with a good amount of pins. Not a barcade. Looks cool tho!

#34 9 years ago

haven't been to poison girl in years, the place is way too small, so it's very crowded, and it is hip to be rude there. the pins were in decent shape back then. i will never go back though, not my cup of tea.

#35 9 years ago

I can put up with mustaches and skinny jeans for a few hours for the sake of pinball. The maintenance on these machines needs to be done, though. Those machines are already in the darker area of the bar. I'm sure they're all but unplayable without GI.

#36 9 years ago

Don't be discouraged, monster bash, wheel of fortune, and jurassic park are slightly more illuminated than you'd think. Plus, free games are easier than taking candy from a hipster

#37 9 years ago

They all play on a slope comparable to an EM, though

#38 9 years ago

poison-girl-artwork-hou.jpgpoison-girl-artwork-hou.jpg

#39 9 years ago

This is a place where it's nowhere near hip to be a pinhead

#40 9 years ago

*having played jurassic park in a location where "feed T-rex incites a noise complaint"

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Who is dan? No one involved in poison girl is named dan.

#42 9 years ago

easier than taking candy from a hipster

That's PBR from a hipster round these parts.

#43 9 years ago

'Round all parts, I think. But they'll fight to the death over a pbr

#44 9 years ago

I only recommend playing the 3 I mentioned above, and maybe Simpsons if you only shoot the Otto shot

#45 9 years ago

Why did the hipster burn his mouth?

He ate his pizza before it was cool!

#46 9 years ago

I hear crickets with that one, Sir.

Just got home from Game Preserve. Worked on 4 pins, but only seemed to get 3 going. Bummer!

#47 9 years ago

What are you doing up this late Brian? Now go rustle up some 339's. And J, that was funny.

#48 9 years ago

FYI: For the record, Poison Girl is not a barcade. It's a bar. With pinball. And a good one if you ask me, featuring decent beer at decent prices (cheap Lone Star along with a handful of Texas craft beers), a full bar, a back patio, and over 100 different types of bourbon --- including the truly rare and wonderful, at prices below any other place in the city.

I'm hearing a lot of "rude" and "hipster": I've experienced precious little rudeness from anyone at the place. Count me lucky. As far as hipness, it's relative. I consider myself middle-aged and past concerning myself with the notion, focusing my full efforts on getting my daughter to be consistently potty-trained. Which is hip in its own way I suppose.

At it's heart, it has a dive bar sensibility: think Delilah's in Chicago, the Snakepit in Los Angeles, or Mac's Club Deuce in Miami. To me, that's a good thing. If you are looking for a velvet rope, keep looking.

If you go on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night, it will be packed, but so will every other decent bar in Houston.

Finally, thanks to the help of a couple of local pinsiders (Brian Foytik and Glen Deleon) many of the problems with the games should be fixed later this week.

Quoted from HighProtein:

Poison Girl barcade in Houston TX
» YouTube video

#49 9 years ago

Good to know that Brian and Glen are helping out with the maintenance. Two top notch techs, IMO. It's good to have a bar close by with great titles on location.

#50 9 years ago

Oh, I got called out. Will see how many issues can get worked out on Wednesday trip. I actually hadn't been to Poison Girl before. I hope she doesn't bite.

Anyone have an idea of some of issues? Hard to know what parts to bring not knowing what is broken.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
€ 8.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Oakhurst, CA
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 16.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poison-girl-barcade-in-houston-tx/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.