SeaHunt (resized).jpg
THE JUNGLE (resized).jpg
Fuck Gene Shitmons . (resized).jpg
Miss World (resized).jpg
BallyHoo1 (resized).jpg
A-GO-GO (resized).jpg
DOGIES (resized).jpg
algoren (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pecos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

My first and favorite pinball, OXO, had Pointy People all over it. There were Pointy People on the backglass. There were Pointy People on the playfield. They couldn't be avoided! They were everywhere! I've always liked OXO's Pointy People artwork. It seemed to glow in neon pink, green and blue colors. As I got more into pinball, I realized that there were a lot of Pointy People Pins out there. And then I learned that it was Christian Marche who was known for his Pointy People artwork.

Pointy People art seems to generate strong feelings in the eye of the beholder. Some people love it. Some people hate it. If art is supposed to generate feelings then Christian Marche is successful at generating that. He created Pointy People art in the late 1960s and early 1970s and his Pointy People artwork has become iconic of this period of EM pinball machines. I like the pure joy shown my the man on the backglass of OXO jumping for joy when collecting three 'Os.' Such exuberance is contagious!

Christian Marche is THE Pointy People artist. I wondered if there were others. And then, when researching the topic, I discovered that Bally Capersville has Pointy People and the art was done by Jerry Kelly. And that wasn't the only Pointy People art I found from Jerry Kelly.

IPDB shows Jerry Kelley as artist on 16 pinball machines. Christian Marche is credited for an astounding 149 pins per IPDB, but not all of those are Pointy People Pins.

Do you love or hate Pointy People art? All viewpoints are welcome. If you dislike the art, beware! Pointy People grow on you!

Would you like to see a Pointy People Pin today or should they remain iconic relics of the baby boomers youth, never to be seen again?

I have these three Pointy People Pins:

Williams Strike Zone 1970:

day_1_backglass (resized).jpgday_1_backglass (resized).jpg

Bally Double-Up 1970:

DSCF1380 (resized).JPGDSCF1380 (resized).JPG

playfield_complete_middle (resized).jpgplayfield_complete_middle (resized).jpg

Williams OXO 1973:

PIC_0402 (resized).JPGPIC_0402 (resized).JPG

DSCF2682 (resized).JPGDSCF2682 (resized).JPG

DSCF2683 (resized).JPGDSCF2683 (resized).JPG

I would like to say that OXO was the 'Pointiest' of the Pointy People Pins but I would have to give that honor to Williams A-Go-Go 1966 and that art was done by Jerry Kelley.

Please discuss and post your Pointy People Pins here!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

[Pic of Old Chicago plastic of pointy lady in a champagne glass]

I knew that was going to happen on a Pointy People thread! It was inevitable. Ha ha! But I was thinking that it would be a pic of the backglass of Old Chicago. I have Old Chicago so I guess that would be my fourth Pointy People Pin.

Thanks everyone for the pics!

5 months later
#21 6 years ago

Another Pointy People Pin has made its way into Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour. Nice art package on this. No Pointy People on the backglass. They are right in your face on the lower playfield.

Sadly, this one won't be staying long. It is spoken for.

after_backbox_and_backglass (resized).jpgafter_backbox_and_backglass (resized).jpg

after_playfield_full (resized).jpgafter_playfield_full (resized).jpg

This is my most thorough restoration to date.

before_full_mech_board (resized).jpgbefore_full_mech_board (resized).jpg

mech_board_back_in_cabinet_full (resized).jpgmech_board_back_in_cabinet_full (resized).jpg

http://pecospinball.com/klondike_restoration.shtml

1 month later
#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

So I ask all of YOU Pointy-People-Fans, what do YOU think?

Look at this never produced Bally prototype with a copyright from 1980.
It's well known that Christian Marche was very much liked by pretty everyone in the industry - and it is my honest opinion that Dave Christensen did this as a farewell-greeting to Christian Marche, depicting him on this backglass - compare the 2 pictures please (the photo of Christian Marche is from the book PINBALL ART)

It looks like Christian Marche to me. And the backglass is a French theme with a French woman, Ooh La la! , wearing the blue/white/red colors of the French flag.

Thanks Mardi-Gras-Man for posting that information. I didn't know until I started this thread and did some research that Christian Marche was following in the footsteps of Jerry Kelley. I always thought OXO to be the 'best' example of Pointy People art, but A-Go-Go is just as deserving of that honor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
$ 24.98
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pecos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pointy-people-pin-ponderings-homage-to-marche-and-kelley?tu=pecos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.