Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pyromedic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1326 (resized).jpg
    logo_anim (resized).png
    Unknown-3 (resized).jpeg
    0_THmfYKSeYsMtU2yi (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Polka rock is an underappreciated genre that doesn't get enough love.

Many feel that Weird Al Yankovic's early work - Hot Rocks Polka comes to mind - is the peak of this genre.

Do you agree, or do you have a better example?

The rules follow:

1. Must not be parody. We are only talking REAL polka rock here.

2. Original polka instruments ONLY - no synths!

3. Must have reached the top 300 billboard charts - NOT just "mainstream polka" or "adult oriented polka" chart.

Ok what have you got?

#2 3 years ago

Fan of weird al since I was .. I don’t know .. 8? When did Yoda come out.

Went to #1:

#3 3 years ago

Also, since no one asked, this is a Finnish band who pretends they are Trolls and sings half-metal and half-Finnish polka songs in Swedish

#4 3 years ago

Local band to me although they've won 2 Grammys and appeared on the Simpsons... Brave Combo.

You could argue they are World Music because they play many styles, but their heart and soul is polka.

Their shows vary wildly from staid Oktoberfest crowds to mosh pits during a power punk funk version of the Hokey Pokey at Denton Jazz Fest

#5 3 years ago

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I used to play in a rock band. I played guitar, trumpet, and accordion (poorly), and transitioned over to piano. We broke up and had a reunion show a few years later.

At that show, we played our most popular song for an encore, and I quickly realized I had an accordion I was unsuccessfully trying to sell in the trunk of my car. I told the band to keep going, sprinted out to grab it, and played/smashed the shit out of it. Probably the most fun thing I've ever done.

Anyway, accordions are rock solid, and despite the fact I slammed this thing repeatedly on a concrete floor, it still played fine and looked okay. I ended up selling it to a guy whose house was covered in bird crap. To make this pinball related, he recently sold a City Slicker.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is this a joke?

0_THmfYKSeYsMtU2yi (resized).jpg0_THmfYKSeYsMtU2yi (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago

I would be interested in this however.

#8 3 years ago

I used to go to the Polish festival at action Park years ago and they always had Jimmy Sturr orchestra. I’m not the biggest polka fan but it was fun watching them.

#9 3 years ago

Polka Floyd rocks pretty hard

Unknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpeg
    #10 3 years ago

Way more Polka Rock appreciators than I expected around here. Pinside rules!

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also, since no one asked, this is a Finnish band who pretends they are Trolls and sings half-metal and half-Finnish polka songs in Swedish

Thier videos are great as well. Love the music. +1 for Finntroll

#12 3 years ago

Rumor has it this is the alternate track if you don’t light Stairway to Heaven multi-ball.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Way more Polka Rock appreciators than I expected around here. Pinside rules!

Polka rock on!
    Rammstein!!!!

#14 3 years ago

Polkacide!

logo_anim (resized).pnglogo_anim (resized).png
    #15 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Many feel that Weird Al Yankovic's early work - Hot Rocks Polka comes to mind

Sorry,but everyone kinda knows this is bullshit. Al's later Polkas such as "The Alternative Polka", and "Angry White Boy Polka" are far more artistic than his 80's compositions. His early tracks show that he just meshed the hits of the day and didn't pay attention to structure or even try to bridge chord changes, and it shows.

For Polkarama fro 2006, Al even had permission to use Photograph by Nickelback but couldn't fit the song in and decided not to use that. That's evidence of maturity in a songwriter.

#16 3 years ago

Gus Polinski - Polka King of the Midwest

#17 3 years ago

One of the stickers on my studio rack..

IMG_1326 (resized).jpgIMG_1326 (resized).jpg
    #18 3 years ago

Faith no more.... Das Schützenfest is the sweetly romantic tale of a man who seduces a young lady at a Bavarian shooting party and proceeds to make love with her in a pig barn. lol i use the term sweetly loosly.

#19 3 years ago

It's not a pinside thread without someone imposing dumb rules, so following.

EvenThoughIHaveNothingToAddPunkin

#20 3 years ago

This thread is classic Levi. One of his best!

#21 3 years ago

Levi,

Absolutely love the satire of this thread. Those other "facebook style" threads are tedious.

This doesn't support the rules of your contest, but maybe visuals count?

- Jim

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Levi,
    Absolutely love the satire of this thread. Those other "facebook style" threads are tedious.
    - Jim

An outgrowth of the genre for sure. Violated all my dumb arbitrary rules but rocks so hard I’ll allow it!

#23 3 years ago

Flowst Thanks for posting this. Always loved Euro rock groups since being overseas bitd. Checked them out, pretty sweet, their vids are a trip!

Quoted from Flowst:

Levi,
    - Jim

#25 3 years ago

And if u Dooo

#26 3 years ago

Breaks several of your rules, but The Wallets are serious and took Polka to new/ different places musically.

Not half bad either.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I didn't know that John Candy could sing.

#28 3 years ago

Am I too late with this?

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #29 3 years ago

Maybe JJP could add this track to their latest

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

GD, you got to it first. Polka, Polka, Polka.

#31 3 years ago

These guys could have been big.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from aFineMoose:I used to play in a rock band. I played guitar, trumpet, and accordion (poorly), and transitioned over to piano. We broke up and had a reunion show a few years later.

Dude it’s time to get the boys back together ...we need a Weird Al cover band now!

#33 3 years ago

My Spanish isn’t great, I think this translates to “polka” or “hot ladies singing- with crazy hair guy on drums”. It depends on regional dialects.
    If not polka, have to start another thread competition..

#34 3 years ago

Polka your eyes out!

#35 3 years ago

Does this count?
    It's awesome either way.

#37 3 years ago

Fantastic, I loves me some pants down polka. Yeehaa.....

#38 3 years ago

Merry Christmas pinheads!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.